V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

overdrive vs. non

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 07:45 PM
98RedStangBoy

Default overdrive vs. non

what's the difference between using overdrive and not using overdrive in a 98 v6. does one get better gas mileage than the other?? all i know is you go faster w/o it... help?
Old 07-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Default RE: overdrive vs. non

Over drive is just a top gear that is used to increase mpg on freeways or while cruising at a solid speed for a long period of time. You are correct that with it 'On' the car may go slower. That's because the tranny shifts at lower RPMS to keep the car fuel efficient vs. performance oriented. Around town I would turn it off but on the freeway turn it on. If you're cruising at 70-80 and want to pass, you can turn it off to cause the tranny to kick down and give you the power you need.

Also on newer vehicles, with OD off it will allow the car to use a little engine braking on decel.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Caddstang
2nd Gear Member

overdrive? What is this overdrive button you guys speak of? How come I dont have one in my car? I want an overdrive button!?!?

[sm=happybounce.gif]
Old 07-30-2005, 02:41 AM
97mustang17
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Caddstang

overdrive? What is this overdrive button you guys speak of? How come I dont have one in my car? I want an overdrive button!?!?

[sm=happybounce.gif]

because its something only auto's have you having a 5 spd you dont need it becaue u can choose to down shift when u want more rpms
Old 07-30-2005, 05:59 AM
Caddstang
2nd Gear Member

Sarcasm
Old 07-30-2005, 05:51 PM

Take overdrive off when your towing or have a heavy load...or just when you need more torque. And just so you know it is NOT a good idea to turn O/D on and off while your driving, especially going 70mph+. It's not good for the trans at all. You either have it on or off, don't mess with it while the car's in motion.

Old 07-30-2005, 08:44 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FordRacer

Take overdrive off when your towing or have a heavy load...or just when you need more torque. And just so you know it is NOT a good idea to turn O/D on and off while your driving, especially going 70mph+. It's not good for the trans at all. You either have it on or off, don't mess with it while the car's in motion.
I thought you could turn it off when you started going up hill with no problem
Old 07-31-2005, 03:02 AM

Well it won't kill your car if you only do it once in a while, but if you make a habit out of it, or if you often manually shift your auto, it's not the best for your trans or your gears. The auto trans isn't strong enough to handle that kind of punishment day in and day out.

Old 08-01-2005, 07:13 AM
myfirststang
1st Gear Member

Funny story, my ex used to always play with her O/D button while she was driving until I explained what it does and that she shouldn't do that. Well, one day, going over a bridge, her transmission wouldn't engage and she rolled back down the bridge. Luckily it was late so no one was on the bridge behind her. When she took it into the shop, the transmission fluide ended up being baked in and she had to replace her tranny. This was in a Mazda though.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Caddstang
2nd Gear Member

was the mazda a 626? i heard some pretty bad things about mazda tranny issues...anyway this has got me all worried because i like to engine break/ rev match a lot...i guess Ill change my trans fluid along with the coolant this week LOL

Quick Reply: overdrive vs. non