V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

need help w/overheating while ac is on

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:28 PM
GSPmustang

Default need help w/overheating while ac is on

Alright guys need some help- my wife's 2004 mustang is acting crazy. you can be driving the car with the ac on, the car will be running fine. then all of a sudden the ac will start to blow warm and the car will start to overheat. you can turn the ac off and the car will start to cool down. you turn the ac back on it overheats off it cools down. this all happened sat. since then we have drove the car with the ac on and have had no problems. fan is working just fine. and idea's?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:02 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

04's aren't very prone to having overheating issues. It's most likely not overheating because of the AC, but killing the a/c is what the car does to save itself. I'd start checking the cooling system, and make sure the fan is working on both high AND low, it's a little harder to tell.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:04 PM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

mine has been doing somethin similar. ill be driving around with the ac on and ill notice it will be overheated next thing i know...
or ill be driving fine and i leave the car idling for like 10 min max with the ac on and the cars it overheated when i get back... ac still blowing cold tho... i havent gotten any codes either
Old 06-22-2010, 09:31 PM
GSPmustang

the fan is working correctly. could the ac system need recharging? wouldn't low freon cause head pressure-which would kick the compressor?