V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Ride comfort, why is mine crap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Xyron
1st Gear Member

Default Ride comfort, why is mine crap?

1998 Ford Mustang 3.8l v6
do everything on my car myself, but anything I haven't done I don't know jack about cars, I just learn about various aspects/parts of cars as I need too.

I'm not sure what is effecting my ride comfort the most, but I feel every god damn crack and pebble in the road and my car bottoms out over speed bumps if I take them too fast.

I thought this was just a combination of my 18" rims and the fact the car is lowered. I did a quick post on yahoo answers just to get a survey of which affected it more. A lot of people said the bigger rims have a very minimal effect on ride comfort. So should I stop considering trying to find someone to trade me 16" rims for my 18"?
There were also several people who said it being lowered shouldn't matter much either, and its a shock issue.

So, what is it? I've never ridden in a car so bad before, where you can feel so much of the road. (Thankfully I live in South OC in SoCal at least... the roads seem to be a lot nicer here than anywhere else I have traveled)

Should I get new shocks? New springs? and if so what should I get? Trade rims?

I finally got my sound system just perfect how I want it, and my A/C fixed blowing ICE cold, time to work on the ride comfort.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:05 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

Sounds like you got some blown shocks/struts
Old 07-20-2010, 07:10 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

yeah, what ryan said
Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Xyron
1st Gear Member

....awesome. i've been driving like this for a year.

someone mentioned that i should get shocks made for a lowered car. is this true? any recommendations?

is there any reason to NOT buy the $18 each monroe shocks at my local kragen?

Is there a good enough reason to instead blow $450 on a eibach kit?
http://www.americanmuscle.com/eibach-shocks-7904v8.html
Old 07-20-2010, 08:23 PM
RyansQuick6
Reverse Gear Member

You need AT LEAST KYB AGX's
Old 07-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Xyron
1st Gear Member

no edit post function?

i thought about this a few min later while eating dinner and went to check out my car after i finished eating. i dont think the shocks are blown, if they were the car should keep bouncing after pushed, yes? on the rear it stops almost instantly, the front will move just a bit and stop. i dont think what i have on there is actually bad, but would replacing them with something better still help my situation?

Opps, didnt see ryans post until after i posted. If I need at least those, what would be a step or two up, and what would be the benefits? just so I can look at my options.

Thanks for all the help!

edit:
ouch, looks like itll be around $500 for KYB AGXs. Forget the step or two up, lol. Do you think buying those will make the ride a lot more comfortable? I was really hoping to be spending more like $200... but I could save up if that's my only option

Last edited by Xyron; 07-20-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:47 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

hate to say it, but you should have thought about ride quality before throwing on larger wheels and lowering it. both will hurt the ride quality. as for the kyb's, i believe they are supposed to be a good performance strut/shock that doesnt sacrifice ride quality. if the ones you are running with are blown, then you should definitely replace. how many miles do you have on your car and have the shocks/struts ever been replaced? they usually dont last much longer that 100000 miles, so if you have more than that, then it is a good chance that they need replaced. my neon would still come up with blown shocks and wouldnt bounce but they were definitely blown and i had to replace them
Old 07-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Xyron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03shadow
hate to say it, but you should have thought about ride quality before throwing on larger wheels and lowering it. both will hurt the ride quality. as for the kyb's, i believe they are supposed to be a good performance strut/shock that doesnt sacrifice ride quality. if the ones you are running with are blown, then you should definitely replace. how many miles do you have on your car and have the shocks/struts ever been replaced? they usually dont last much longer that 100000 miles, so if you have more than that, then it is a good chance that they need replaced. my neon would still come up with blown shocks and wouldnt bounce but they were definitely blown and i had to replace them
Lowered and had the wheels on when I bought the car, ride quality didn't bother me much wen I first drove it, but slowly started to get more and more and more annoying.

How can you tell if the shocks are blown then? Is there a way?

It has about 135K on it. I haven't replaced them and I don't know if they were replaced from the last owner or not. I've only owned the car for a year.

Is there a cheaper option over the kybs that will offer a pretty nice ride?
Thanks for the help =)

Last edited by Xyron; 07-21-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:17 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

It sounds like your shocks and struts were never changed when the springs were put in so it wore out the old shocks faster than normal. Secondly, your steering geometry is probably off without the extended ball joints. The tokico blue shocks are fairly good priced and are the same shocks that are on Mach 1's. The kyb's are better but pricey. GL
Old 07-21-2010, 01:18 PM
crysalis_01
Banned!

If you really cant afford more than $200. You could always go with KYB GR-2's but honestly they're only slightly better than the stock parts. If you only do DD stuff they should get you by. Anything's better than a shot suspension. But dont cheat yourself by buying $18 shocks/struts that you'll just have to replace again all too soon.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1...t-in-here.html

Last edited by crysalis_01; 07-21-2010 at 01:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Ride comfort, why is mine crap?