V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Terrible gas mileage, please help?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

Definitely, mine didn't throw a code till the m f'er broke completely off while I was driving. As in the cats were no longer connected to my manifold, I was running an open header.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:15 PM
tdpower
1st Gear Member

I would change your spark plug wires and change your transmission fluid/filter if you have not done that lately. Sounds like Synyster06Gates gave you some good information.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:24 PM
sIx
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03shadow
yeah sometimes mechanics dont really know what they are talking about, but neither do we 100 percent of the time
I'm almost offended lol

Originally Posted by Synyster06Gates
When my manifold was cracked, my gas mileage went to ****. I also got a code though, for one of them. I've had BOTH manifolds crack and it showed a significant drop in mpgs both times. The reason is because the o2 sensor reads lean so the computer tries to fix it by sending more fuel to the engine.
would it be possible that hers isnt cracked bad enough trip a code?
That's what I was thinking, not letting enough air in to Max out the sensor, just throw it out
Old 09-29-2010, 09:30 PM
simpsonfan13
ELEKTRO-FIDE Moderator

it's also worth checking your fuel lines to make sure you're not spilling gas somewhere. a bump hard enough to tear off exhaust can definitely damage other things under there.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Synyster06Gates
4th Gear Member

Yup, it probably would throw a code if the engine didn't "correct" itself and send more fuel. It SHOULD be reading rich now, but that crack is letting in just enough O2 so that it's in the normal levels.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I posted a reply in her other thread about this same issue:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/gene...ease-help.html

I'm leaning towards a vacuum leak or Mass Airflow Sensor failure/dirty, but who knows...

would it be possible that hers isnt cracked bad enough trip a code?
Yes. But it could also be possible that the check engine light bulb is blown. Don't know if her year has an LED bulb or a regular bulb.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:46 AM
WoahPony
3rd Gear Member

if you hear a gurgling noise when you shut the engine off thats most likely an exhaust leak. I know when I shut mine off (Im running open mid-pipe atm) it sounds like a big grumbly fart... and if the noise is coming from the engine compartment then you're probably looking at a manifold leak. And that would result in what everyones telling you. the first o2 sensor controls A/F ratio so if theres a small leak it would run lean and the car would compensate by dumping more fuel into the charge. and i don't think you would throw a code until the the leak was so bad, and the mixture was so lean, it wouldn't be able to compensate for it. that's what I got out of what Synster said at least

Last edited by WoahPony; 09-30-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:22 AM
neo8222
4th Gear Member

i got a decent size leak right where the headers bolts to the heads on my car and it's never thrown a code. i'm also noticing a substantial amount of fuel economy loss. also never threw a code when the factory piece cracked the many times that they did.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Itz_Gizzy
2nd Gear Member

Exhaust leak wouldnt cause that much of a fuel loss, if any. The mani being cracked would though, LISTEN TO SYNYSTER!!
Old 09-30-2010, 06:31 PM
sugar58

Wow, took me a while to read all the replies, thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it. So what it all boils down to, from what I read, is it's either....
a) faulty 02 sensors that aren't throwing a code for w/e reason
b) cracked manifold that would cause? the o2 sensors to be thrown off
c) dirty/faulty mass airflow sensor
d) blown bulb in engine light
e) vacuum leak
f) fuel line leak somewhere (we don't see anything though)

thanks again!

Quick Reply: Terrible gas mileage, please help?!