V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters
Old 10-27-2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

"Radiator Flush" question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 05:50 PM
MustangSally94
2nd Gear Member

Default "Radiator Flush" question

Ok, so after adding some coolant to my car tonight I noticed a lot of brownish orange gunk floating in the coolant. So I guess I need to drain my radiator and add some new coolant but my question is, this radiator flush they offer at parts stores, does this stuff work? I read online that to use it you have to drain the radiator, pour the container in and fill the rest of the way with water, run the car for 10-15 mins, then drain again and add new coolant. However it said not to use on an aluminum radiator. Do our cars use aluminum radiators?

also does anyone have a decent pic of where this vent plug is for refilling the cooling system? I read a little here and there but not 100% sure where it is
Old 12-06-2010, 05:58 PM
XtremeOracing

Originally Posted by MustangSally94
Ok, so after adding some coolant to my car tonight I noticed a lot of brownish orange gunk floating in the coolant. So I guess I need to drain my radiator and add some new coolant but my question is, this radiator flush they offer at parts stores, does this stuff work? I read online that to use it you have to drain the radiator, pour the container in and fill the rest of the way with water, run the car for 10-15 mins, then drain again and add new coolant. However it said not to use on an aluminum radiator. Do our cars use aluminum radiators?

also does anyone have a decent pic of where this vent plug is for refilling the cooling system? I read a little here and there but not 100% sure where it is
There is a drain plug on the block. If you open that and also open the radiator drain plug you can get most of the coolant out and replace it wit a 50:50 mix. Done!

EDIT: Make sure to purge all the air out of the coolant system via the bleeder screw towards the waterpump!
Old 12-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Fink
5th Gear Member

Are there any benefits from running a 50:50 mix?
Old 12-06-2010, 09:34 PM
MustangSally94
2nd Gear Member

I know how to drain it, im just not 100% sure where the bleeder screw is and if the radiator flush works... my radiator is full of crap
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 PM
XtremeOracing

I know how to drain it, im just not 100% sure where the bleeder screw is and if the radiator flush works... my radiator is full of crap
Run water through it with a garden hose while the drain is open and lines unhooked. It should get most of the crap out...

If it's too bad just get a new one, they run about $90 new down here in South FL.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:27 PM
XtremeOracing

Originally Posted by Fink
I believe using 50/50 mix gives you a better cooling, but less protection against freezing.

Boiling Protection

Formula Celsius(Fahrenheit)
50% 1:1 (1 part antifreeze/1 part water) 129.4(265)

Freezing Protection

Formula Celsius(Fahrenheit)
40% 2:3 (2 parts antifreeze/3 parts water) -24.4(-12)
50% 1:1 (1 part antifreeze/1 part water) -36.7(-34)
60% 3:2 (3 parts antifreeze/2 parts water) -52.2(-62)
Old 12-08-2010, 08:10 AM
MustangSally94
2nd Gear Member

Yea they are $130 here lol... I might have to replace it anyway... either the radiator is leaking or one of the hoses is
Old 12-09-2010, 12:30 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

However it said not to use on an aluminum radiator. Do our cars use aluminum radiators?
I don't know about other brands, but Preston's Flush doesn't say anything about not using with aluminum. My truck has aluminum heads and radiator and I've had no problems with Prestone Flush after 3 uses over 100k miles.

also does anyone have a decent pic of where this vent plug is for refilling the cooling system?
I refilled mine through the radiator fill neck, and drained it from the drain plug on the radiator (passenger side of the radiator, on the bottom facing towards the back).

Originally Posted by Fink
Better cooling, higher boiling point, lower freezing point, the coolant also acts as a lubricant for the water pump, and helps prevent rust inside the engine block.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:24 PM
MustangSally94
2nd Gear Member

Ok so ive narrowed it down to the hoses so it looks like sunday im going to flush my radiator and replace the upper and lower hose. Now I was reading in my Haynes manual it says to drain the coolant out of the drain block plugs located just above the oil pan on either side of the motor.... is this necessary?
Old 12-09-2010, 12:44 PM
XtremeOracing

Ok so ive narrowed it down to the hoses so it looks like sunday im going to flush my radiator and replace the upper and lower hose. Now I was reading in my Haynes manual it says to drain the coolant out of the drain block plugs located just above the oil pan on either side of the motor.... is this necessary?
A lot of people half *** the job and don't drain the entire system, I like to do it right. IMO do it like the manual says.

Quick Reply: "Radiator Flush" question