V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

96 3.8L ODBII wont connect

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Amidath

Question 96 3.8L ODBII wont connect

Hello all,

I just purchased a ELM327 USB interface to read the computers on my various vehicles, but I cannot get it to connect up to my Mustang. Connected fine to my 01 Grand Am but will not communicate with the Stang at all. I know they are different protocols, but this unit supports all ODBII protocols, and I know it actually functions since it reads the Pontiac.

The car has been in a front end crash by the previous owner so it does have some issues including blown airbags. The vehicle does still run though but it has the airbag light ( obviously ) and the Check Engine light came on a while ago as well. Still runs fine and I haven't really noticed any loss of HP. Any ideas what could be causing the reader to not connect? I read on one forum that I might have to change the ODBII port on the car at the manf? Or possibly the ECU is bad ( though I would think this would prevent the car from running properly. )

I apologize for the stupidity of the question but I am still fairly new to cars which is part of the reason I took this one so I can learn.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:20 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the Forums!

When I bought my SCT Tuner from Justin at VMP I had a problem getting the tuner to link up with my wifes 96'.

I quickly found the problem and it was the lead wire from the Alt to the fuse box, it was corroded to all hell and back.

I replaced it and BAM! It took the tune.

Check your lead wire and battery cables.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Damn Neo you are everywhere on this forum! haha. And I didnt know that a bad lead wire would mess up a tuner like that. Good to know for the future.

Matthew
Old 02-15-2011, 05:13 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I try to spread the love.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Amidath

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
Welcome to the Forums!

When I bought my SCT Tuner from Justin at VMP I had a problem getting the tuner to link up with my wifes 96'.

I quickly found the problem and it was the lead wire from the Alt to the fuse box, it was corroded to all hell and back.

I replaced it and BAM! It took the tune.

Check your lead wire and battery cables.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have not had the time to check that yet, well the time or the weather to allow for it anyways. Being in Montana we are still well with snow so getting under the hood and not....optimal right now lol. But I will let you know if that helps at all. I did also end up sending back that ELM327 because I found it was a clone unit, so I am getting an ELM5 direct from ScanTools.net so lets hope that will help too.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:41 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I would forget about wasting money on scan tools and buy a tuner.
But then again since your spending like $50 or less then I guess its not bad

If you decide on a tuner, VMP tuning sells them.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Amidath

Originally Posted by NeoTokyo
I would forget about wasting money on scan tools and buy a tuner.
But then again since your spending like $50 or less then I guess its not bad

If you decide on a tuner, VMP tuning sells them.
Yeah, I am going to get a tuner at some point, right now I just want to read whats going on with my car and get that fixed and go from there. It needs work before I start doing stuff like that to it. I will def check VMP out when I am ready to go that route. Thanks though
Old 02-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Giansconvert

Alot of times the obdII port is powered by the same fuse that controlls the cigarette lighter/ power port. I'd start by checking fuses
Old 02-18-2011, 09:40 PM
Amidath

Originally Posted by Giansconvert
Alot of times the obdII port is powered by the same fuse that controlls the cigarette lighter/ power port. I'd start by checking fuses
Oooh that could be it as one of the two cigarette lighters are not working. I will check that in a couple if days here. Thank you!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:15 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Huh, I forgot about that.
Good catch Giansconvert.

Quick Reply: 96 3.8L ODBII wont connect