V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Help Please trying to get home for leave

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 PM
JohnMazurek

Default Help Please trying to get home for leave

I just bought a 2001 ford mustang v-6 with 99,000 miles for $4700 5 days ago.When I first bought it I noticed all the white smoke coming out but it was cold outside and went away after it warned up i just thought it was normal condansation. but it does it every time i start it up on a cold start or shut it off then restart 20 mins later not as bad as when i first start it up in the morning but still bad you can look in the review mirrow and see nothing but white smoke on the first start of the day or let it sit for more then 20 mins.depenping on how long it sits the more smoke comes out .its not steam and it doesnt smell sweat, smells like oil but its white not black or blue but white. well thats how it looks to me. I trapped the smoke in a 50 gallen trash bag saterday when it was about 65 degreegs out on a warm sunny afternoon and had some of my buddies smell it since my nose sucks and they didnt smell anything sweet and let me assure you it was smoke not steam. It was my day off today so I changed the oil today ,when I checked it it was a little over half quart low. I checked the coolant leval and its about quarter gallon low about 6 inchs from the cap about 85% full about the same as it was when i bought it (i think) but i really cant say i reamber checking and noticing it was not filled all the way up to the cap im not even sure if its supposed to be filled all the way up since water expands when its hot so i really didnt think nothing of it so im going to be keeping a close eye on the coolant and oil levals. but like i said it goes away after a while ussally a few mins and its really only bad for the first 5 or 10 seconds the cars on but still noticable even after you drive it for 4 or 5 miles. i saved every thing i had for 6 months to buy this car and cant even title and licence it till i get paid again and im going on leave in 3 weeks and havnt been home for almost a year my parents dont have much money so im screwed i dont have any money to fix the car right now and im not taking the chance of damaging my car beyound repair it felt like a life time to save up that much money. The cars been sitting in the cold weather for the last few months if that means anything the dealer ship i bout it from (all about boats and autos) sells lots of boats but very few cars he said he only sells a few a year to keep his dealer ship lisence so he didnt have insurence so i wasnt able to take it out on the road no one was so it hasnt been driven at all for the last few months so its been sitting in the cold weather and not been driven just turned on and off.iv put appx 350 miles on it so far The dealer assured me it was looked over by techs and was a clean good well maintained car and it looks like it supper clean the engine and everything looks like it came off the showroom floor. i singed a contract as is no warrenty but theres a LEMON law in missouri i have 14 days to return if the car is deemed undrivable if sold as a working automobile and thats ifey im not a lawyer and dont know much about missouri im just stationed here i really love this car and hope its a cheap fix ill have Photos up of what the smoke looks like and what the oil looks in the pan. Im not a mecanic i know how to change oil, brakes, belts, altnt ers , sparks plugs, ect just the basics not that good at all any help would be great. Facebook johnmazurek48@yahoo.com E-mail MikeMazurek91@yahoo.com 573-286-7237
Old 03-14-2011, 11:41 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the board!

Well, do check out the SN95 forums. I know little about the SN95 and earlier 'Stangs, but in these forums, you should be able to get every answer possible
https://mustangforums.com/forum/v6-1...04-mustangs-4/
Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 AM
rwh129
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the site, Sounds like you paid to much
Old 03-15-2011, 11:23 AM
UPsteam3985
2nd Gear Member

Wow that is a big bummer.

Unfortunately Missouri's lemon law only applies to new vehicles and is intended to protect the purchaser from a manufacturer's negligence, mistakes, etc.

Here's a link to a .pdf for a consumer's guide to automobile purchases that is put out by the Atty. General of the State of MO.

http://ago.mo.gov/publications/allaboutautos.pdf

Scroll down to pg. 7 sec. 8

Since you purchased the car "As is: No Warranty", according to the law, you are responsible for any repairs on it.

This is very unfortunate. IMHO, there is a special place in hell for those unscrupulous dealers out there who take advantage of those serving in the Military.

Have you taken it back to the guy and asked if he would be willing to fix it free of charge?

At any rate I thank you for your service. Hope this helps.

Are you stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF & GL!!
Old 03-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Spinx89

Welcome and Good Luck!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:38 AM
94v6

I had white smoke coming out of my '94 a year ago. Not quite as much as you described but I did notice the smell of antifreeze. For me it ended up being a blown head gasket (not fun ) How have the coolant and oil levels been lately?
Old 03-19-2011, 10:46 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yeah you got screwed over the car probably has a minor failure in either a head gasket at a water jacket, or the lower intake to head gasket at a water port. In any since it's not a major failure right now because as the car heats up the gasket expands just enough to close off the leak, but over time it will get worse and eventually completely fail.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:58 AM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Whatever you do, do not put the stop leak stuff in your coolant.

Last edited by DRAGUL; 03-19-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Even without the 'sweet' smell and loss of fluid, I'd bet it's a coolant leak.

Quick Reply: Help Please trying to get home for leave