V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

STANG MAKES NOISE WHEN TURNING...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 01:57 AM
KIRAtw

Originally Posted by GTdarksider
I know this post is old but people still run into it looking for answers. A couple of months ago I had a squeaking much like described here only while turning. Come to find out it was the ball joints. Add that to the list of things to inspect.
Mine also had a very loud creaking. Like every time I turned the car it sounded like the front end was going to drop out. This wasn't squealing or constant, this was literally a deep, loud, metallic creaking when and only when I'd turn the wheel.

Took it to my mechanic and turns out it was one of the ball joints. Definitely something to consider.
Old 03-29-2023, 02:28 PM
Faulknerboy4life

Having problems I can’t figure out when I turn left in my car making a weird noise what could it be I checked my rack opinion
bushing there are good and I don’t have a bad wheel bearing I checked that too just don’t know what to look for on my 04 ford mustang 40th anniversary edition
Old 03-29-2023, 02:35 PM
Faulknerboy4life

Hey everyone I have a 04 ford mustang 40th anniversary edition having problems coming from the passenger driver side when I make a left turn making a rubbing sound what could it be I checked the rack pinion bushing and there good and so is the wheeling bearing what else should I look for please help it’s a ignoring sound
Old 04-04-2023, 11:51 PM
martianable

Default TSB05-14-03

Originally Posted by Faulknerboy4life
Hey everyone I have a 04 ford mustang 40th anniversary edition having problems coming from the passenger driver side when I make a left turn making a rubbing sound what could it be I checked the rack pinion bushing and there good and so is the wheeling bearing what else should I look for please help it’s a ignoring sound
Maybe this is related ?
http://www.terminator-cobra.com/Ford_TSB05-14-03.pdf
Old 04-05-2023, 12:04 AM
martianable

Default Need help with 'slip joint'? on column

Originally Posted by Faulknerboy4life
Perhaps I could confer with you regarding the bushing you spoke about @Faulknerboy4life ?
The reason the TSB was on my radar is because I'm trying to help my daughter-in-law with her 2004 Mustang ( 40th ed ) - She also says there's a squealing & vibrating when turning, though I don't drive the car myself.
The other problem is the tire wear - it's very bad - and the alignment shop said they couldn't do the alignment because the 'slip joint' on the column probably needed to be replaced.
In fact after they tried to align it, the car came back with the steering wheel out of middle position. the alignment shop manager said they tried the alignment 3 times and when taking it off the machine - rolling backwards down the ramp ? - it would go right out of alignment -
Does this seem like a good assessment of the problem ? the 'slip joint' ?
I'm a weekend warrior trying to help out - so please excuse my novice questions...
Please advise if you can - thanks in advance !!
Old 04-05-2023, 10:37 AM
martianable

Default Ford dealer opinion -about the 'pinion'

Originally Posted by martianable
Perhaps I could confer with you regarding the bushing you spoke about @Faulknerboy4life ?
The reason the TSB was on my radar is because I'm trying to help my daughter-in-law with her 2004 Mustang ( 40th ed ) - She also says there's a squealing & vibrating when turning, though I don't drive the car myself.
The other problem is the tire wear - it's very bad - and the alignment shop said they couldn't do the alignment because the 'slip joint' on the column probably needed to be replaced.
In fact after they tried to align it, the car came back with the steering wheel out of middle position. the alignment shop manager said they tried the alignment 3 times and when taking it off the machine - rolling backwards down the ramp ? - it would go right out of alignment -
Does this seem like a good assessment of the problem ? the 'slip joint' ?
I'm a weekend warrior trying to help out - so please excuse my novice questions...
Please advise if you can - thanks in advance !!
I've made a few inquiries to the dealership who said the brackets for the TSB fix are available, and run $25-$30 each, I guess you need two - that's the good news.
He also said that the slip joint assessment that the alignment shop gave me was a bunch of hooey, and he believes it sounds more like a problem with the Intermediate steering shaft. I also got him to look up what the intermediate steering shaft would run, since they don't make them anymore, and he said they could find one for $450. Installation would take about 4 hours he said, and he has a tech that's been working on Mustangs for 38 years so I don't have anything to worry about.
either way, he wants it in for a diagnosis and that's going to run 1 hour of labor for $175. After a little back and forth he said he would be willing to work out a deal for the diagnostic fee if they got the whole repair on the invoice.