V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

99 50th anniv convertable, shuddering, and rod knock? :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:26 AM
cmanns

Red face 99 50th anniv convertable, shuddering, and rod knock? :(

hello, I'm posting my grandmas stang she got in 02 roughly.
It had 30 thousand miles, I'm assuming a serviced fleet car of some sort, maybe it was very fresh. Grandma driven, never revs a car over 2.5k rpm or so, did lots of freeway. Cars at 90 thousand miles now....I thought these v6's go forever?

//Shuddering issue
I noticed the automatic shudders at 30-50~ I stopped driving the car for a year now that I do occasionally I'm trying to diagnose it but could it be a tad too full? The trans is good, I just want to keep it going since shes barely hitting 100k miles. I've herd these automatics came from the factory shifting slow, I notice almost 4second shifts from it and it doesn't feel normal.

I'll check it while cold soon and lower it if too full.

Engine knock issue
This ones interesting, I've decided to post here after I saw a few videos of the v6's with knocking. I guess rod knocking it sounds just like a few videos but it only does it when I induce a vac leak like while seafoaming.

It's always done that, however it is pretty horrible sounding. When you first pull a hose off it tacks on the left cyl bank, near the oil cap. While feeding seafoam if you keep the rpms up it sounds fine, if you let it idle it and try to kill it with the seafoam, it'll idle at around 400 rpm with this insanely loud knocking till it shuts off, starts up and doesn't make the sound.

Just curious if that's going to develop into a normal knocking sound, the car used to knock around 50k miles which my grandma thought was our horrible cali gas, I started maintaining the car and now it's very quiet and strong.

Glad to hear any opinions on the transmission shuddering or if that could be a u joint and if the knocking sound is normal or not, thanks guys