V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Engine Won't Turn Over!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 07:20 PM
kingalls

Default Engine Won't Turn Over!

Car's been sitting for 8 months. It was running when I parked it. Battery is fully charged, all dash lights come on, but it engine won't turn over. It will run if I push start it. No power to the starter. Any ideas?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Cinn
1st Gear Member

Check the battery terminals to make sure they are getting a GOOD connection and clean. If still nothing then take the battery to autozone or something to have them test it.

After all that and it still is acting up then start looking deeper. Always blame the battery even if it is being nice lol.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:13 AM
The grey beast
2nd Gear Member

It may not be the battery cinn...it could b a # of things, including starter, i mean battery could be old and useless, but not turning over at all sounds like the starter to me personally, or it could be the spark plugs
Old 06-05-2011, 03:01 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Heya, welcome to MF.

If it makes a CLICK sound as you try to start it, its very well could be the battery or terminals or corroded cable.

I had the lead to the Alt corrode on a car once and did the same thing and many many many times over Terminals or bad batteries over the years. All made a loud CLICK.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:16 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Just b/c the lights come one doesn't mean you battery is good. Enough juice to run lights vs enough juice to turn it over are two very different levels. I'd guess dead battery.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:49 PM
kingalls

Default Alarm system malfunction

After trying all your great suggestions with batteries... replacing the starter solenoid, and still no power to to the solenoid from the key so I ripped out the anti-theft/alarm off and BINGO. Power to the silenoid. Put the starter back in and runs like a charm. Go figure. Thanks for the help
Old 06-05-2011, 01:53 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Interesting.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:00 PM
The grey beast
2nd Gear Member

Yeah for sure, i probably never would've thougth about that to be honest haha
Old 06-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Cinn
1st Gear Member

Huh that is something I think none of us would have even guessed, so the anti theft system was making it act up? Life is funny lol.

Well since this problem is solved and while on anti theft setup. My horn, car alarm, and cruise control won't work at all. My steering wheel has had the airbag blown but everything still worked fine so I am thinking it has to be a fuse or something because the wiring looks good on point a and point b but not sure about the in-between.

Where do I find the fuse for the horn and the cruise control?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:35 PM
The grey beast
2nd Gear Member

If you wanted you could deffinately go to a junkyard and get that fuse for a few bucks most likely

Quick Reply: Engine Won't Turn Over!