V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

SSM Power Pack + Procharger P1SC good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:58 AM
reaper_88
1st Gear Member

Default SSM Power Pack + Procharger P1SC good idea?

Title says it all, what do you guys think? Planing to save up (a huge amount of cash) to buy a Power Pack for my 2000 manual v6 and then adding a p1sc Procharger. What gains do you guys think I would get? Should i be worried about tearing apart my rear end? Oh and very importantly will this be emissions legal? (Matt did mention cams sent legal in here in CA so that may be an issue).

Last edited by reaper_88; 07-21-2011 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-21-2011, 01:36 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Its a great idea, they work together exceptionally well.

The Power Pack is legal all except for the Cam, but they dont need to know you have a cam.

Talk to Tom and let him know that you still need to smog the car and a lopey cam with possibly fail your inspection even if it does not fail the sniffer.

Finding a good tuner out there to tune your car within smog requirements is important.

There are two ways around the Lopey factor.

1.) Use a stage 1 mild cam, Comp has a nice stage 1 cam that does not change the idle too much but works well.

2.) Get a pair of stock muffler and hope that they muffle the lope enough that it will pass inspection.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:08 AM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

this is the setup i want...too bad it`ll problably never happen
Old 07-21-2011, 04:03 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

skip the power pack, just do the procharger.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:39 PM
reaper_88
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the response neotokyo. I'm definitely gona have to look into the stage 1 mild cam. Now one of my biggest questions is what other supporting mods should I do first? Oh what hp increase would u guys estimate this will actualy get me?

Last edited by reaper_88; 07-21-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Honestly, the best supporting mod without going into the motor is good free flowing exhaust.

You could always keep a Long Tube header setup on the side and swap between smogs.
Just be sure to run high flow cats.

California is a little odd in that even if it passes the sniffer test the catalyst system can not be modified until it is downstream.

As far as the powerpack goes, it will help a lot but might be best saved for a built motor.
ESG makes a good point in just waiting to do the powerpack system later.

As long as you dont tell Cali that you engine is a 4.2/4.3L they wont care and it wont make you fail.

That way, instead of having your car down because your putting the powerpack kit on, your can can be down a shorter period of time to swap a built motor in. Then you can sell your old motor and recoupe some cash.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:26 PM
reaper_88
1st Gear Member

I see u guys make a very good point. Of course all of this will take a lot of time as I am a broke college student haha but I'm saving half of all my paychecks for this. My main goal is honestly to make my v6 a GT killer (heck maybe even take on stock cobras). Okay so here's another question (i apologize for all the questions I'm just learning all these things) is were should I start saving for first? Money to get a built motor? Focus on other aspects of the car like suspension and drivetrain? Straight up save for the Procharger? Or heck just go with the simple bolt ons first? Kinda stuck right now on where to start :/
Old 07-21-2011, 10:28 PM
sIx
4th Gear Member

Procharger. Drivetrain and suspension is nice, but not mandatory I suppose, and little boltons like what? Do exhaust if your gonna do anything first, or a tuner
Old 07-22-2011, 12:31 AM
ESG-642T
Buyer Beware

I'm still in college :P being a poor college student is well up to you
-------

Anyway:
Get full exhaust
Then find an 8.8 rear end
the save for the procharger, fuel injectors, fuel pump, and tuning.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:28 PM
reaper_88
1st Gear Member

Haha I barely started last year :P
sIx: by bolt ons Im referring to the exhaust, CAI (which I already have), basically anything that is installed by simply bolting it on.
EGS: yea I'm thinking about getting a true dual exhaust, modding my stock y pipe via h pipe adapter, and either buying a MAC catback or having the shop make me one using flow master super 44 mufflers. In a sound standpoint which do u guys believe sounds better? Thanks for all ur guys help I really appreciate it

Quick Reply: SSM Power Pack + Procharger P1SC good idea?