V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

V6 - V8 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:13 PM
joe610
1st Gear Member

the fact remains, I'm not worried about different options right now because I had the opportunity to buy the 302 right now. There isn't a need for me to buy a motor now, hell there isn't even a need for me to want to swap it in the near future. I just wanted to know if I would be able to swap it into my car should I buy it.

Doesn't matter anymore though, the ******* backed out and wouldn't respond to me so I won't be getting it

thanks for the input though
Old 12-31-2011, 07:10 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Joe610, I understand that you had an opportunity to pick up a 302 for a bargain, but in the long run, for a daily driver and ease of the swap, find yourself a 99 or newer 4.6 SOHC (or even a DOHC) and go with that. Most wrecking yards have these motors for fairly cheap, as they are very common. You'll be better off in many ways, smog/legality for the street being one of them, and parts availability for the swap being another.

Good luck, friend.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:26 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

The V6 and V8 does not use the same diffferetial. The V6 use a 7.5" rear end with an open differential (only one tire powers the car). The V8s use the stronger 8.8" rear with a limited slip differential (both tires power the car).
Old 01-25-2012, 05:41 PM
joe610
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rokgtar
Joe610, I understand that you had an opportunity to pick up a 302 for a bargain, but in the long run, for a daily driver and ease of the swap, find yourself a 99 or newer 4.6 SOHC (or even a DOHC) and go with that. Most wrecking yards have these motors for fairly cheap, as they are very common. You'll be better off in many ways, smog/legality for the street being one of them, and parts availability for the swap being another.

Good luck, friend.
thanks for the input, however I'm more interested in something bigger than a 4.6, they're a good motor yes but they're everywhere around here and for the most part I just want something nobody else will have

that's another reason I'm dead set on the swap.

oh well I guess, just have to keep looking and thinking about what route I want to go

and on that note, just to get a little opinion, what are everyone (or anyone's) thoughts on a 289?

it will be rebuilt, I'm just guessing but since it was so heavily mentioned before I'll most likely need a different transmission

but I've heard good things and it sounds legit for the most part, just want to hear some other feedback on it if it were at all possible

by the by, I don't have to meet any emissions standards, this is 'Braska

EDIT: and yes I do realize that this

"I'm more interested in something bigger than a 4.6"
and this
"thoughts on a 289"

kind of contradict each other, but so far this is all just speculation and kind of getting my thoughts about what I really want in my car aligned right
Old 01-25-2012, 06:00 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

You want a 5.0L b/c the 4.6L is too common? Ok, nothing personal, but that's just stupid.

The 5.0L is less powerful than the 4.6L. Don't get confused by a displacement number.

The 289? Less power than the V6 - so again, that's just stupid.

And last time I checked, Nebraska was in the US, so even though there is no local law, you fall under FEDERAL law - and it's illegal to remove any of the stock pollution control.

If you really have a hard on for a 5.0L go buy a 94/95 GT and call it a day. Why toss three times the price of the car at it when you can just go buy one?
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Just let him waste his money, he will be like most people and get halfway into the project and another 2-5,000 later realize he's an idiot and abandon it due to countless complications.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:40 PM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

Yeah Jthorn, just ask my youngest brother about "stupid" spur of the moment ideas that just pop in his head that make absolutely no sense whatsoever. You can't talk to a person that is stubborn and doesn't listen to anything or ANYONE, when they think they know it all, chances are THEY DON'T. Do yourself a favor OP, get over yourself and get this moronic idea out of your mind, it's a lose lose situation and you'll end up with something that is WORTHLESS!!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:00 AM
joe610
1st Gear Member

say and think what you want, I only wanted a little advice :| no need to be an asshat about it

honestly, it's my car, it's my money, what business is it of yours what I do with it?

none, I asked for opinions, and a few facts. Apparently civilized conversation isn't alive in the world anymore because if it were than I would have gotten more than a few decent answers instead of a majority of "hurr durr the 302 sucks, you're an idiot derp"

if I wanted to hear that I wouldn't have posted because it's in every other damn thread asking about this very subject

now. I never said I want the 302 strictly because the 4.6 is too common. I actually didn't say I wanted any motor because it was too common, I only asked about the 302 because I had the opportunity to buy one at the time.

since that hasn't seemed to sink in to some people, I'll say it again so that it really gets through. I only mentioned the 302 because I had the opportunity to buy one at the time.

Any way I go, the motor is going to be rebuilt and modded, so stock powers and stock setup is none of my concern, including emissions. Nebraska doesn't check emissions and unless I (hopefully not) someday move to California then I don't need to, nor do I really care about, meeting emissions standards

moving right along

I want to throw this money at this car because it means something to me. Obviously you wouldn't understand, and neither would the general population here it seems. I love my car. Deal with it. I want a bigger motor, and want to keep my car. Deal with it. It's the way it is, I don't give a damn what any of you think about what I do with it, so calling me an "idiot" and the like is all a big waste of your time, because you don't know me, you don't know about my life, you have no idea how smart or stupid I may be

with that said, I'm done asking for advice here, at least for a while anyway. People come here for help, and the last thing they need is a bunch of people bitching about what they want to do with their life, God knows the only other place I can get that is from watching Dr. Phil and to that I say hell no.

now, please, as I have said countless other times. If you have nothing constructive to add to this thread, don't bother posting.

tl;dr

oh yeah, thanks to the people who offered me real advice, and weren't complete dicks about it. You guy's are cool.

Last edited by joe610; 02-26-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:41 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

You wanted advice and people with knowledge are giving it. You seem to be confused about what your are doing.
You said the 4.6L is too common... and wanted a 5.0L (one of the most common motors for the Mustang). That doesn't make sense. And yes, you SPECIFICALLY said that, go back and read.

Then you talked about wanting more power and a classic 289. The 289 has LESS power than you have right now, so that's going backwards.

Saying you are skipping the legal part (emissions) is again going backwards. Why do you want us to help you make a non street legal car?

If you are going to do mods/building of the incoming motor (which you never mentioned), then it's still cheaper to mod the V6 you have and get more power for less money.

And check that "obviously you don't understand" comment real quick. I dumped over $80K into a V6 just because I wanted to.So yes, I DO understand a car meaning something. You're asking for help and getting rock solid advice, then you whine because it's not what you want to hear and call us names.

So let's start over. You have a Mustang. What do you want out of it hp/tq wise in the end? What type of driving will you be doing? Street? Drag? Road Course? What's your budget?

Answer those honestly (and keep an open mind) and this group will set you on the right path. And remember that if you just keep saying you want a motor swap to a V8 without saying why - you will continue to be ridiculed because you are showing you don't know anything about what you are doing.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 AM
JKs95stang
4th Gear Member

Great post Roush, I don't think I could of said it better myself. The only other words of wisdom I would like to add is, when you post a subject to an open PUBLIC forum and INVITE people into your life, take the responses with a grain of salt. Constructive criticism is exactly that, personally, I'd rather someone be COMPLETELY honest and give it to me straight, rather than beat around the bush and spare my feelings. I've had friends and brothers the same, try the most ridiculous things and throw caution and money to the wind JUST because they won't listen. All the way from building six cylinder mopars, to rotary motors in a bug(fun while it lasted). Huge spectrum I know. ALL have been sold or perished in the process and were not completed. Being different is cool, but some things aren't meant to be. I hope you reconsider how asinine this project and/or your attitude is. BOTH, need a reality check.

Quick Reply: V6 - V8 Swap