V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

No crank, replaced Starter/M, Neutral safety switch, ignition switch, relay. Help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:42 PM
ouch

Exclamation No crank, replaced Starter/M, Neutral safety switch, ignition switch, relay. Help...

Yeah so I've been having a rather annoying problem with my 2001 mustang v6 3.8ltr automatic where if I turn the key the dash lights light up like it's going to start I hear a relay click under the hood, and I hear the fuel pump kick in. But the starter motor itself never engages. Additionally if I have the headlights on they never dim. It's like something is stopping the starter motor from trying. The theft light doesn't flash nor does the odometer change to dashes so I know it's not pats/computer thing.

Things I've replaced so far:
starter motor (good lord what a pain)
The neutral safety switch
The ignition switch
the starter relay

I also have a car charger on it with enough available amps to start the car even if it didn't have a battery in it...

I'm at a total loss as to what the problem could even be. I mean what do you replace after replacing all the ignition system components?

One last little tidbit is that if I keep turning the key for say 5-10 min strait I might get one turn where the car cranks and starts.

Oh, and I have checked the fuses which have ignition/starter relay/motor stuff assigned to them.

I'm thoroughly confused as to what the problem may be, any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:26 PM
Paul Blakey

sounds like you may have ground problem. make sure the starter is grounded to the motor good and the motor ground wire has a solid connection to the frame. you can find it on the drivers side behind the front wheel behind the sway bar. take that one off and clean the tip and the metal where it attaches. if you have trouble finding it. pop the hood and look behind the power steering pump. you should see a cable connecting to the frame from the motor.

that ground wire is very important. with out a good connection there, your ride will NOT start. Trust me.....I know.

Hope that helps!