V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Service Engine Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 09:57 AM
jpatrick88

Default Service Engine Light Help

Looking for advice on what this means I need to do to get that light off and keep driving safely. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:01 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

It means what it says: Excessively high temperature was detected in the cylinder head. This could be due to low coolant level, or something much more complex. Did the engine overheat, that you are aware of? Did it boil over? imp
Old 08-06-2017, 08:18 PM
jpatrick88

I'm not aware of it overheating or anything. It isn't a car that gets driven a lot. The coolant was low so I put more in but the light is still there.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:30 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jpatrick88
I'm not aware of it overheating or anything. It isn't a car that gets driven a lot. The coolant was low so I put more in but the light is still there.

Low coolant level could have caused overheating in a head, and the code is being carried in Continuous Memory. Have you tried deleting it, and seeing if it returns? imp
Old 08-07-2017, 10:22 AM
jpatrick88

I'm not really sure how to delete it. Are you talking about disconnecting the battery for ten minutes? If the coolant wasn't the issue the light would just come back on right?
Old 08-07-2017, 01:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If the coolant was low enough, you could've gotten an air pocket in the cooling system. This would imepede the coolant flow which could trigger the code.

If you topped off the coolant, you have to make sure you remove the air bubble. I don't think the 99-04 V6 had a purge valve. So, let the car warm up at idle and squeeze the top radiator hose rapidly a few times to see if the coolant level in the reservoir drops, if it does, top the coolant off again and squeeze some more. The rapid squeezing of the top radiator hose will push any air through the system.

To reset the code and turn the engine light off, just use the Bosch scanner to erase it. There should be an option on the screen to do that. If not, back out to the main screen and look for a option like Clear/Erase DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes).

After you get the coolant system topped off, drive it a bit and recheck the coolant. If it's low again, you could have leak or the bubble is still working through the system.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:18 PM
jpatrick88

I tried squeezing the hose but no luck the coolant level didn't go down at all. Also the Bosch scanner was just one I used at ORiellys to see why the light was on so I can't delete anything. Looks like I'm taking it to a shop....
Old 08-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Thermostat could be stuck closed. How's the temp reading on the dash? If it's normal, it could be a bad coolant temp sensor. The Temp sending unit for the dash is different than the coolant temp sensor that the PCM reads off of.