V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

1998 mustang 3.8 manual swap question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 09:07 AM
cougarman

Default 1998 mustang 3.8 manual swap question

Anyone here ever do a manual swap on an automatic mustang. I have a question about the ecm. I know I have to swap it or tune it. It seems that the cheaper option is swapping it and reprogramming the keys. Local dealer wants $650 to tune it. However, im not sure how I would know what ecm would work in a swap. It seems that there are 2 part numbers for 3.8 manual ecm's with federal emissions. I have all the parts I need from a donor 95 GT but since it doesn't have pats i cant use the ecm. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:57 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Never done the swap, I thought heavily about it, however the cost out weighed the benefits, I bought my 95 5.0 instead. Problem is that there are a lot of small bits and pieces that people run into with the swap that causes it to cost more than it's worth.

To answer your question you would need a good working ECU from a 96-98 Mustang with a manual transmission for everything to work properly. Yes a shop with a high end ECU programming system can "re-flash" the ECU but it's often better/cheaper to get one that's programed to work with that transmission.