V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Fuel Pump Issue...Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:32 PM
Devastator00

Default Fuel Pump Issue...Maybe?

I think I am having a fuel pump issue but I am not 100% sure and would like some advice on how to diagnose my problem before I replace the fuel pump...

Basically, my car won't start after it's been sitting for a while. If I run errands, it usually starts no problem, but if it sits overnight or hasn't run in a day or two, the car won't start. I was told to turn the key to the on position (not all the way to start it) for a few seconds, turn the key back to off and then back to on a few times and the car should work. Basically, I was told not to keep cranking the car. And so far, doing this method has been working.... Some days I have to do this longer than a few seconds by leaving the key in the on position, like a couple minutes, and then it will usually work.

Does this sound like a fuel pump issue or could this be entirely something else??
Any tests to recommend to do a diagnosis??

-Also, I forgot to mention, the car runs fine once it's been started it's only when trying to start the car is it an issue.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:27 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Devastator00
I think I am having a fuel pump issue but I am not 100% sure and would like some advice on how to diagnose my problem before I replace the fuel pump...

Basically, my car won't start after it's been sitting for a while. If I run errands, it usually starts no problem, but if it sits overnight or hasn't run in a day or two, the car won't start. I was told to turn the key to the on position (not all the way to start it) for a few seconds, turn the key back to off and then back to on a few times and the car should work. Basically, I was told not to keep cranking the car. And so far, doing this method has been working.... Some days I have to do this longer than a few seconds by leaving the key in the on position, like a couple minutes, and then it will usually work.

Does this sound like a fuel pump issue or could this be entirely something else??
Any tests to recommend to do a diagnosis??

-Also, I forgot to mention, the car runs fine once it's been started it's only when trying to start the car is it an issue.
We need to know more: the car year and type, carburetor or fuel injected? If EFI, the fuel pressure must be checked to determine if the cause of pressure leak-down is at the engine or in the fuel tank. If the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator on the engine is torn, it will bleed fuel pressure away. imp
Old 11-20-2017, 07:32 PM
Devastator00

Originally Posted by imp
We need to know more: the car year and type, carburetor or fuel injected? If EFI, the fuel pressure must be checked to determine if the cause of pressure leak-down is at the engine or in the fuel tank. If the diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator on the engine is torn, it will bleed fuel pressure away. imp

It is a 2000 Ford Mustang V6 3.8L (fuel injected)
Old 11-20-2017, 09:46 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Devastator00
It is a 2000 Ford Mustang V6 3.8L (fuel injected)
So, by turning the key on and off several times before cranking does start the engine? If so, pressure is bleeding away quickly, or the pump may be "weak", or the fuel filter may be dropping too much pressure across it.

Really need to put a pressure gauge on it, turn on the key, watch what the pressure does. It should quickly build up to normal level, and stay there after the pump shuts off a few seconds later. If it drops, the cause must be found. imp
Old 12-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Tex02

Any luck yet
Old 12-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Tex02

Default Fixed non start issue on 02 GT

Just this morning my dad's car would turn over and over but never would start. After reading this thread and doing some more searching online I found a post on another mustang forum (stangnet) where someone had mentioned the schrader valve. My dad's car is an 02 but the guy that he bought it from said it had an 03 motor. Some people were saying that year doesn't have that valve but i looked anyway, not being completely sure of the motor setup in his car. Sure enough it was there, and and after pressing the pin, that look just like one on a tire valve stem and cranking the engine over it blew out quite a bit of air then finally the fuel came blowing out of it and it fired right up. Hope this helps with your issue or anyone else's. He was ready to just take it to the shop and have them look at it but it was really that simple. BTW I tried listening for the fuel pump to turn on with the key being turned over and couldn't hear it. That's what first led to us to believe that the pump was bad.