V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Fuel Pump/EEC Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 03:59 PM
Mustangdriver33

Default Fuel Pump/EEC Issues

I have a 1996 mustang that has a 1998 engine in it. We swapped it about a year ago. The transmission recently went out and we fixed what was wrong. When we put everything back together, we turned the key to the ON position and the fuel pump didnt prime. The starter did turn over but never started. Turned out the fuse blew. The fuse labled EEC blew everytime we turned the car on. We tested the fuel pump and the pump is fine. We skipped the CCRM and ran a hot wire straight to the Inertia switch and it primed just fine. So the fuel pump is fine. The green amd pink wire running from the CCRM to the inertia switch is fine. We tested for resistance. We also tested from the CCRM directly to the fuse box and that wire is fine. The CCRM looks fine. No burn marks. There is an electrical short somewhere in the circuit but we cant find it. Any ideas?

1996 frame/computer with a 1998 engine and transmission in it. 3.8 L v6 engine.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:16 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangdriver33
I have a 1996 mustang that has a 1998 engine in it. We swapped it about a year ago. The transmission recently went out and we fixed what was wrong. When we put everything back together, we turned the key to the ON position and the fuel pump didnt prime. The starter did turn over but never started. Turned out the fuse blew. The fuse labled EEC blew everytime we turned the car on. We tested the fuel pump and the pump is fine. We skipped the CCRM and ran a hot wire straight to the Inertia switch and it primed just fine. So the fuel pump is fine. The green amd pink wire running from the CCRM to the inertia switch is fine. We tested for resistance. We also tested from the CCRM directly to the fuse box and that wire is fine. The CCRM looks fine. No burn marks. There is an electrical short somewhere in the circuit but we cant find it. Any ideas?

1996 frame/computer with a 1998 engine and transmission in it. 3.8 L v6 engine.
You need to find out exactly what the fuse labeled EEC feeds. If it is the power feed from EEC Relay to the computer, the brain is likely fried. If it's power feed only to the EEC Relay, that relay may be short-circuited. You cannot directly see it, but if you know the color-coding of the wires, you can check the relay coil for a short to ground. Do you have wiring diagrams?
Old 11-24-2017, 11:24 AM
Mustangdriver33

I do have the wiring Diagrams. I will see what else is on that fuse. I also read somewhere that the 96 and 98 engines fuses were labeled incorrectly. The EEC and Fuel Pump Fuse were actually switched. Can anyone confirm this? I want to make sure it is the EEC that is going out and not actually the Fuel Pump Fuse.