95 v6 issues. ? - MustangForums.com

V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Old 04-16-2018, 10:22 PM   #1  
THE 1

Default 95 v6 issues. ?

Hello,New here. I am having issues with my engine running poorly,like it's missing or possibly like a vacuum leak ,along with stock fan setup not working. Brought in for oil change,and a short time after,gauges started working erratically,fan stopped coming on and engine lacks power big time! Shudders as if it was misfiring,although New plugs and wires just installed. A friend mentioned a temp sensor ? I'm stumped, any ideas would be greatly appreciated
THE 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:28 AM   #2  
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Did they put oil back in it?
Stepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:42 AM   #3  
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Is the engine overheating? That's a real possibility if the fan's not coming on. Check the ECT sensor resistance using the attached chart.

You mentioned erratic gauges, but which gauges are acting up? Are they reading incorrectly, or are they indicating a real problem?
Attached Thumbnails
95 v6 issues. ?-ect.jpg  
Urambo Tauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #4  
THE 1

it runs scrappy right away. Fan not coming on at all,so gets warm fast. Gauges were reading full sweep and the going backwards to normal position,seems like aa sensor ? Is there a temp control sensor or something that's related ?
​​​​​​​thanks

Old 04-17-2018, 10:55 PM   #5  
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

All gauges were doing that? Check for a loose instrument cluster ground.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:09 AM   #6  
THE 1

I think the gauges were acting weird because of something else ? They work correctly now,but we're acting weird. Now fan not coming on and engine runs like it's missing or something. New air filter in,I cleaned the maf with spray cleaner,installed New wires and plugs,however,engine still runs like there is a major vac leak,however I don't find one? Any sensors or connections that might cause this condition ?
thanks
Old 04-18-2018, 10:42 AM   #7  
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Did you check the ECT sensor yet?

If the gauges start acting up again, you're going to have to be more specific about which ones are acting up and what they're doing when that happens. So far, it sounds like there's a loose ground, which just happens to be making a good enough connection at the moment in order to work.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #8  
THE 1

Gauges were acting weird and reading erratically,I believe due to how cold it was at the time . It was happening at the time the real issue started,which is engine running poorly and fan not coming on. I assumed that the gauges were acting weird due to whatever the real issue at hand is,because the temp gauge is reading high,but now know tho is due to the fan not coming on. So, I guess what I need to know is , is there a sensor or something that could be responsible for the fan not working, and,causing the engine to run poorly ?
thanks
Old 04-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #9  
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE 1 View Post
A friend mentioned a temp sensor ? I'm stumped, any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
Check the ECT sensor resistance using the attached chart.
Quote:
Any sensors or connections that might cause this condition ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro View Post
Did you check the ECT sensor yet?
Quote:
So, I guess what I need to know is , is there a sensor or something that could be responsible for the fan not working, and,causing the engine to run poorly ?
Did. You. Check. The. ECT. Sensor. Yet?