V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Super charging and Cam set ups

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 05:53 PM
02StalkerMustang
1st Gear Member

Default Super charging and Cam set ups

ok guys heres the deal. I have been searching for anything and everything parts wise for the 3.8. the first thing i want to do it aftermarket cam set up. and i also planned on super charging it too. now rather than have to do the same things over again with different part types.. when choosing my cam set up do i have to incorperate the later add on of the cam.. meaning are there specially made cam setups that are suspose to be used when being placed in an engine that is going to be SC? Also what is a good amount of boost to start out with on stock engine with only cam job. i was thinking of either the 7 or 9 psi set up to start out with being that it is going to be air to air intercooled.. any and all helpful comments thank you in advance.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:28 PM
02StalkerMustang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Super charging and Cam set ups

come on guys little help here.. im still learning and i dont wanna mess up my car.. shes my babie
Old 12-19-2005, 06:33 PM
traveler
I ♥ Acer

Good idea on asking around. Autobadges may be helpful. He has a tricked out stang. But also I'd ask the other experts. Go to supersixmotorsports.com and ask them too. Knowledge is POWER!
Old 12-19-2005, 06:40 PM
02StalkerMustang
1st Gear Member

i know friend im trying to get as much info on this as possible.. the real bitch is going to be finding a good shop here in cleveland while im here cause i dont have the tools to do certain things. its a shame OTC wont let us students work up in there anymore.! oh well
Old 12-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Autobadges.com
Banned

You pick a cam to the setup you plan to have. The bigger and wilder the more you need to have done..meaning heads, intakes, cam etc. If you are going to ONLY do the cam don't bother...you have to do heads,intakes and cam to get the power. But if you plan to put a blower on you need to do internal work to be secure the engine will not BLOW on you.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:40 PM
02StalkerMustang
1st Gear Member

when i get the blower i know that i will have to upgrade everything else to handle the added psi but i am being told that if i am going to get a bigger cam that i have to get one that is meant to handle the power of a blower added with it.. so what size cam would i need? i saw in someones profile that they have a 215/230 and they are running with a 11psi procharger which is going to be about the same set up i will get except i am not going to be running with 11psi when i first get it. i will run with about 7 or 9 to start out with and then upgrade the pully to an 11 or higher if i am able too.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Autobadges.com
Banned

I would not up the psi unless you want to take chances on your stock bottom end. I have a forged full engine and still run 10psi (but that is w/o an intercooler)

The cam specs depends on what you want...exhaust, lope etc

www.rpm-mustangs.com can help you pick which is best for your situation (Mik is owner tell him EVAL sent you as a referral)
Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 PM
02StalkerMustang
1st Gear Member

so how much boost would u recommend with a procharger intercooled sc set up on my motor stock
Old 12-19-2005, 11:04 PM
02StalkerMustang
1st Gear Member

No one else has anything to advise on this subject... hummmm.?@ (:-P) [IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-19-2005, 11:08 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 02StalkerMustang

No one else has anything to advise on this subject... hummmm.?@ (:-P) [IMG][/IMG]
If you have a specific question, PM Nanaki. He's a F/I guru...

Quick Reply: Super charging and Cam set ups