V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Throttle Problem!!!!!!!!?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 08:47 PM
TorchV6
4th Gear Member

Default Throttle Problem!!!!!!!!?????

Hey guys I am having a small problem. Well when I put it to the floor sometimes the pedal sticks and she bounces off the rev limiter for a few seconds til I kick it enough to free it up. Well this actually isnt a small problem it is a huge problem. When I race or even have to put it down it gives me problems. So what do you think it could be? Just in need of a new throttle cable? Nothing as far as I know is getting in the way of the pedal. Also it has only started happening since I put my cai on, I think this is just a coinsidence though since the cai doesnt touch the throttle rocker on the throttle body. What else could it be and where could I get a throttle cable I have called around looking for one but no one seems to have them available.?.?
Old 01-04-2006, 11:05 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Throttle Problem!!!!!!!!?????

is it getting stuck under the floor matt?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:10 AM
alexr
★★★★★

is the pedal sticking or the TB?
Old 01-05-2006, 02:58 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

1) make sure the pedal isn't getting stuck on the floor mat. This has been a problem with Stangs before. 2) clean the throttle body inside and out. 3) shoot some penetrating oil into the sheath of the throttle cable. 4) follow the throttle cable end to end and make sure there are no kinks in the cable. 5) if all of that doesn't solve the problem, replace the cable.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:09 PM
TorchV6
4th Gear Member

Thanks guys for the responses btw I really havent noticed it getting caught ont he carpet or anything but I will deffinately check that again. I just need to figure it out, and I will for sure clean my TB inside and out.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:56 PM
alexr
★★★★★

ORIGINAL: TorchV6

Thanks guys for the responses btw I really havent noticed it getting caught ont he carpet or anything but I will deffinately check that again. I just need to figure it out, and I will for sure clean my TB inside and out.
i wouldnt shoot anything into the throttle body, ie. WD-40 or anything like that, you never know how itll react with the gasoline/combustion process (or watever its called, if theres a technical term for it, i cant think of it). you dont wanna end up with a giant fireball for an engine when you start it up.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:37 AM
wiseguy
1st Gear Member

Disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body and work the throttle body linkage checking for any abnormal resistance. If that checks out OK, disconnect the cable from the pedal and check for free motion throughout its range of movement. If that's OK, then check the cable for any signs of resistance.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Autobadges.com
Banned

do what wiseguy said. Make sure you can see the butterfly on the tb and open and close it to see if it sticks...after that put the gas pedal to the very bottom like when driving and see if it hits the carpet. I had the pedal get caught on 2 occasions.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:52 PM
TorchV6
4th Gear Member

awesome thanks guys!!
Old 01-07-2006, 05:59 AM
S IHI II IB IB Y

hey i got a similar problem... dont wanna leech ur advice or anything but just bought a brand new 70mm throttle body, vortec TB spacer and MAC cold air induction kit. it worked fine right away didnt have to mess with idle or anything it was great then it started boggin a little, no biggie came back ok after a couple of days. THEN... punch it bring it down slow no matter what i did with the gas pedal it would stay at that rpm and come down REAL slow... then it got worse where it would just stay at that rpm and not come down, and finally tragedy struck. went up after release of gas pedal. im really utterly confused cause im BURNIN my clutch tryin to keep the rpms down at stop lights/signs. as soon as i take it out of gear its as if i floored it and didnt let off. havnt let it hit the RL yet but its gonna sooner or later and i dont wanna blow anything. pedal doesnt stick either by the way... checked that. im wondering if i need to change the injectors to 24# or something? i dont know what to do with it. but also if i am half clutchin it while stopped even tho the RPMs are down air is rushin somewhere and i think its in the TB thats really the only place it could be but i just need some advice cause im stumped and id rather not go back to stock if i dont have to. thx guys!

Quick Reply: Throttle Problem!!!!!!!!?????