V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs Technical discussions on the 3.8L and 3.9L V6 torque monsters

Launching my mustang auto?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Clif Brohn
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Launching my mustang auto?

I wasn't looking for 14s in the car, i said that 14 second quarters is probably really good for the average high school student. I have the nicest car at my school that actually is titled to a student. there is an H2, a '65 hardtop stang and a Lexus convert that are nicer, but the kids didn't pay for them like i did. Thats why I decided to race the stang, high 15s and low 16s is probably better than average or average for the high school crowd. And if thats not enough, I'll convinve the old man to let me race the SRT-8, haha. I don't think I'm gonna try and manually shift my auto though. And Do I need to turn off T/C and the O/D, or just T/C?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:54 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

turn off traction control AND turn off o/d. you don't need to manually shift your auto, just leave it in drive.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:56 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Clif Brohn

I wasn't looking for 14s in the car, i said that 14 second quarters is probably really good for the average high school student. I have the nicest car at my school that actually is titled to a student. there is an H2, a '65 hardtop stang and a Lexus convert that are nicer, but the kids didn't pay for them like i did. Thats why I decided to race the stang, high 15s and low 16s is probably better than average or average for the high school crowd. And if thats not enough, I'll convinve the old man to let me race the SRT-8, haha. I don't think I'm gonna try and manually shift my auto though. And Do I need to turn off T/C and the O/D, or just T/C?
You can turn off the O/D too. BUT!!! Leave it in drive. DO NOT manually shift it. 2 reasons...first you can damage the tranny, and 2, you can over rev the engine. I KNOW I KNOW, the engine has a rev limiter. BUT, I tried to manually shift once, BEFORE the DiabloTune, and went WAY into redline. It should have stopped at 5300RPM, but it went to almost 6500RPM.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:21 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

You can turn off the O/D too. BUT!!! Leave it in drive. DO NOT manually shift it. 2 reasons...first you can damage the tranny, and 2, you can over rev the engine. I KNOW I KNOW, the engine has a rev limiter. BUT, I tried to manually shift once, BEFORE the DiabloTune, and went WAY into redline. It should have stopped at 5300RPM, but it went to almost 6500RPM.
wow, THAT is getting a little high on the rpms...I would have apologized to my car if i let it go that high...
Old 01-30-2006, 04:23 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NewMexMustang

wow, THAT is getting a little high on the rpms...I would have apologized to my car if i let it go that high...
I did! Profusely! And I promised her it would never happen again! LOL
Old 01-30-2006, 04:26 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NewMexMustang

I did! Profusely! And I promised her it would never happen again! LOL
"i'm soo sorry Sally!" I even feel bad for getting into LOW redline...definately don't manual shift the auto if the rpms take off.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:21 PM
jgt58
2nd Gear Member

sounds like you need line locks ......
Old 01-30-2006, 05:31 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

what do line locks have to do with redlining?
Old 01-30-2006, 06:10 PM
TorchV6
4th Gear Member

just to let you guys know the rev limiter IS in the 6k's. Your motor will be fine if you go into the 6k's and you hit the rev limiter that is why its there. Its by no means good for the motor but it wont damage it. Also the beginning of the red line, the 5300 rpm redline that is just your max power band line. It just is letting you know if you go past that line it is pointless because your motor is making no more power than if you hit that line and shift it. If you look at the stats for my car for instance, my cars max power is 5250 in a 2000 5speed 3.8 V6. My redline starts at 5250-5300 (cant really read it exact) but thats all that is. So the rev limiter if you would have let it go yellow would have kicked in when it was supposed to.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:02 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TorchV6

just to let you guys know the rev limiter IS in the 6k's. Your motor will be fine if you go into the 6k's and you hit the rev limiter that is why its there. Its by no means good for the motor but it wont damage it. Also the beginning of the red line, the 5300 rpm redline that is just your max power band line. It just is letting you know if you go past that line it is pointless because your motor is making no more power than if you hit that line and shift it. If you look at the stats for my car for instance, my cars max power is 5250 in a 2000 5speed 3.8 V6. My redline starts at 5250-5300 (cant really read it exact) but thats all that is. So the rev limiter if you would have let it go yellow would have kicked in when it was supposed to.
Dude. I RAISED the rev limiter to 6250RPM. Before that, I hit like 6500RPM when I did that. Yes, the redline starts at like 5300RPM. BUT, and you can even ask Booze(cus he raised his to 6300RPM) Stock the rev limiter is set considerably lower. AND, if you manually shift when drag racing, it's real easy to over rev it cus you are more concentrating on the strip ahead of you, not the tach.

Quick Reply: Launching my mustang auto?