V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Help me understand...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:21 PM
90lxstang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Help me understand...

but if you get an older v8 you can get it cheaper. i bought my fox for $1,400! pretty good bang for my buck i think. i guess i don't have a point to this argument except............V8 FTW!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:38 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

ORIGINAL: LilRoush

ORIGINAL: nanaki

i've never argued the fact you can make a v6 fast as all hell, but to say that dollar for dollar it's better is just ignorant. unless you're talking about all out drag builds or something. i was thinking the exact same thing as xemeth.
Like I said....RIGHT parts.

I can find 94-98 V6 Mustangs all over for $3000 (and that's HIGH end). For$300 you get a Super Coupe bottom end (now you're fully forged, low compression and are running a blower cam all at once). I've got less than $2000 inmy M112blower set up. Spend another $300 on a GT take off 8.8. Now you've spent $5600 hundred. Dyno tune... say $500 average. So that's a grand total of $6100 and you are now making Well over 400 hp/tq to the wheels.

Now, tell me how to do than in your SN95 V8. If you can, I'll give props.

I didn't say take a V6 and a V8 and spend the same to mod them. Dollar for dollar from zero, the V6 wins.
Challenge taken, however, I'm gonna use the sn955.0 GT instead of the 2V 4.6L GT.

347 street forged stroker engine pro built and balanced from www.haneymotorsports.com $2000
GT-40 Twist Flow Aluminum Heads w/ assembled valvetrain- $1200 (ebay as well as many other places)
GT-40 Cobra Intake Manifold (used) - $400 (and that's giving some) ebay
Performance Products 75mm Throttle Body - $140 www.mustangsunlimited.com
F-303 cam - $200 NEW www.summitracing.com
42lb injectors - $150 (depending on store) www.americanmuscle.com
255lb hr holley fuel pump - $120 www.mustangsunlimited.com
Kirbane adjustable fuel pressure regulator - $100 www.mustangsunlimited.com

Do a basic home made port job - $0
Do the basic needed install work on the new engine - $0

Total = approx $4310
Est. RWHP = approx 375+

Buy a used/rebuilt Paxton, Vortec, Powerdyne, etc. S/C = $1200-2000, so let's just say $1600

New Total = approx $5910
Est. RWHP = 550

Much more mods, for a less cost, and considering the old sn-95 will cost less than a V6 unless you either get riped off, or get a hell of a deal, the dolar to dolar figures point in the direction that whatever you can do, I can do for the same approx cost.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:44 PM
Junior OTard
Banned

the way i see it a v6 is just a learning tool, i love learning about my car and how to work on it and see how far i can push it and once ive mastered the v6 ill move on the v8
in my point of view the v6 is exactly what ford said it was "entry level" you move up from there
but thats just my opinion
Old 07-03-2007, 11:47 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

I did

Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 PM
johnt2k7
4th Gear Member

v6 isnt just a learning tool go pick up the newer MMFF last months or this months and read a couple articles

super coup
turboed V6 running 9's
and a 4cyl running 9.1 in the article but is now running 8.9 since the artical

or just look arround the forum LilRoush is a prime example of the V6 being a good platform and not just a stepping stone to some thing better down the road

Old 07-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Junior OTard
Banned

i realize that, hence the reason i said it was my opinion
i mean dont get me wrong the v6 platform is great and can be a fast car but i still dont see too many lil roushes, most people tend to get a v6 and upgrade to a v8
Old 07-04-2007, 01:45 AM
Sidewayz6.0
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

i've never argued the fact you can make a v6 fast as all hell, but to say that dollar for dollar it's better is just ignorant. unless you're talking about all out drag builds or something. i was thinking the exact same thing as xemeth.

I can find 94-98 V6 Mustangs all over for $3000 (and that's HIGH end). For$300 you get a Super Coupe bottom end (now you're fully forged, low compression and are running a blower cam all at once). I've got less than $2000 inmy M112blower set up. Spend another $300 on a GT take off 8.8. Now you've spent $5600 hundred. Dyno tune... say $500 average. So that's a grand total of $6100 and you are now making Well over 400 hp/tq to the wheels.

I didn't say take a V6 and a V8 and spend the same to mod them. Dollar for dollar from zero, the V6 wins.
Challenge taken, however, I'm gonna use the sn955.0 GT instead of the 2V 4.6L GT.

347 street forged stroker engine pro built and balanced from www.haneymotorsports.com $2000
GT-40 Twist Flow Aluminum Heads w/ assembled valvetrain- $1200 (ebay as well as many other places)

Total = approx $4310
Est. RWHP = approx 375+

Buy a used/rebuilt Paxton, Vortec, Powerdyne, etc. S/C = $1200-2000, so let's just say $1600

New Total = approx $5910
Est. RWHP = 550

Much more mods, for a less cost, and considering the old sn-95 will cost less than a V6 unless you either get riped off, or get a hell of a deal, the dolar to dolar figures point in the direction that whatever you can do, I can do for the same approx cost.
Saddly, I am going to slightly agree with jthorn. Lil Roush, you claim that you've sold 2 V8 foxes and kept the V6...Why? Because the V6 is cheaper, and faster? Sorry broham.

While our resident sn95 owner likes to listen to the wrong people, he's at least on the right track. Given the same budget, I would guarantee that I could put 600+ to the tires with a 5.0 car. The difference is that jthorn picked the wrong heads, the VERY wrong cam, and the wrong upper and lower.

A set of use trick flow twisted wedge heads...$800. Would make at least 30+ hp over what he has listed. The holley systemax intake makes 40hp over the Cobra...used...$250. The custom ground .600 lift 234/242 cam thats floating around my garage...$0. Another 25ish hp. (Hey, you got the fuel system for free) Various other parts that if I were to actually put some time into, I'm sure I could find for less bread than what you can do with the V6. Man, it's just not gonna happen. Either you want to go really fast, or you want to be that guy would likes to talk **** with his V6. I usually find the latter to be a bunch of posers. If a V6 was really the way to go fast, everyone would do it. You're hardly an innovator.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:51 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Hee............. I just picked the cheaper option, but yea, that set up would be 10X better. Don't know why I put F-303 in there, the Comp Cams xtreme lift series would be one of the best to make serrious power, and cost pretty much the same. Dohhh[&:]

Wow, at this rate sideways may actually like me enough to stand mein like 10 billion years.[8D]
Old 07-04-2007, 03:27 AM
eaglecatcher
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jthorn9

Total = approx $4310
Est. RWHP = approx 375+

New Total = approx $5910
Est. RWHP = 550

does that count the cost of the car? Lilroush added 3grand in for buying the car, so techincally he only spent about 3100 on parts to get to 400rwhp. I'd like to see what the sixxer could do with and extra 2800, or what the 5.0 would be with only 3.1k in parts.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:39 AM
eaglecatcher
3rd Gear Member

If you can't swap a motor, you shouldn't be trying to build a 400 hp car. Period. You need the knowledge to run something like that....otherwise (in my opinion), you'd just another fool off the street trying to be cool.

A used Thunderbird Super Coupe short block can be found at many junkyards all over the US. You can also watch the SC forums (there are several). There is no need to pull internals or swap rotating assemblies. It's a direct motor swap. The SC motor has a low compression forged set up with a blower specific cam. Unbolt the tranny, unhook the wiring harness and various lines, unbolt the motor from the mounts and lift it up and out.

Finding an 8.8 is as easy as watching both local forums and junk yards. Again, it's a simple swap. If you can turn a wrench, you can swap an axle. Take off the wheels, unhook the rear brakes, unbolt the lower shock mount, unbolt the drive shaft, unbolt the upper/lower control arms.... drop axle out and reverse it to install the new one.

My blower set up is a basic boxed upper intake with an M112 on top. I've picked up several M112's for $250-$300. The boxed upper I've offer to be made fairly cheap. Fuel upgrades are take off "junk" parts from 03/04 Cobras that you can almost get free from a Cobra owner who is upgrading. Again, surf some specific forums (like svtperformance.com or ebay).

ROTM: you say your "white car"....sorry I'm not too familiar with other members cars yet. What year is it? I assume an SN95 since that is what we are comparing? I listed average prices from across the US. I'm sure I could do it cheaper if I looked harder. But that wouldn't make for a fair comparison at all. I guy I'm doing a car for here locally just picked up a SC long block and the M90 blower set up for $300 total. I didn't say everyone could do it like that, but it does happen. it gives the advantage of SC heads to, which run an upgraded valve trains as well. When tossed together with some port work, he'll see close to 380 at the wheels with less than $800 total spent (aside from the car itself).
If I were to find a super coupe engine somewhere, exactly what all would have to be done to fit it into my mustang? Would it be a direct fit with the tranny and mounts and evrything, or is there lots of fab work involved? I thought the super coupes were supercharged weren't they? So how would swapping the blower on an engine give you that much of a power increase? Does the dyno tune really do that much for it?

I'm also curious, if i were to use all the internals from the thunderbird engine, but still keep my mustang block, how effective woudl that be? Mine is pretty low mileage, and I know how its been cared for, and the prospect of buying a junkyard engine is a bit scary to me.

Quick Reply: Help me understand...