V6 General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to V6 Mustangs.

Prep for Car show?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

dude neos post is why i dont do car shows lol. such a pain. its just going to get dirty again anyways
Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Naw Shadow, I am sure if you sported your Neon just like it is in your sig you would get some sort of award.

My 01' is a my DD so its looked like your Neon a couple times this year already. :}

While it does take an insane amount of time and work, its worth it for the end product as it is less repeat work that you have to do in the future.

Another thing you can do in case you just don't have time to do your detailing, hire a detailer and tell him exactly what you want and what your doing it for. It saves time but it can cost a bunch.

The detailers also have better claybars (which you can buy online,) courser compounds that make really quick work of paint contaminants but if in the wrong hands can really destroy the finish.

While I have not gone this way before, I had friends back in Cali that were Pro detailers and they did awesome work.

You could also try to find a detailer that uses Crystal Rock buuuuuuuuuut you might have a $2000 dollar bill afterwords.

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 01-30-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:02 AM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

yah i was kind of wondering what a professional detail job would cost lol. thats a pretty penny thats for sure. my driveway right now is 300 ft of limestone and it gets pretty dusty in the summer so that is one of the deciding factors for me never going all out in m detail jobs, i know its going to get limestone dust all over is as soon as i go down or up my driveway. we are supposed to get it paved maybe this summer though so maybe i can get into some more in-depth detailing

and yeah, i should get awards for getting that neon to go the places it does. a lot of people dont believe i drive a neon in the winter, i say they are wimps!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:46 AM
d.girardi
2nd Gear Member

What is crystal rock to cost two grand for a detail? Jesus
Old 01-30-2011, 02:19 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Whelp Swissvax Crystal Rock retails for about $165 per oz and you have to buy it in a large tub...
The wax isnt your only cost though, you need to purchase all of the other levels of cleaners and protectants before that.

The wax is a super elitists wax and goes a really long way.
If the surface is prepped correctly its probably one of the best wax's on the market, but your paying the price for it and unlike the Lambo and Porsche and Ferrari and blah blah blah owners, we really cant afford that kind of cash to slap down on wax.

When it comes to water sheeting, Autoglym's HD wax and preliminary steps come very close to Crystal Rock, but the long lasting protection is not as great as Crystal Rock - not even close.

You get what you pay for.

Swissvax Crystal Rock: http://www.detailersdomain.com/swiss...auldalton.aspx

Swissvax Divine: http://www.detailersdomain.com/swissvax-divine.aspx

Last edited by NeoTokyo; 01-30-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:26 PM
d.girardi
2nd Gear Member

all i can say is wow. is it really WORTH that price?
Old 01-30-2011, 04:32 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I wash mine weekly, and give it a quick wipe down before taking it to anything automotive related. That's about as far as I'll go with it. LOL.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:31 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LilRoush
I wash mine weekly, and give it a quick wipe down before taking it to anything automotive related. That's about as far as I'll go with it. LOL.
+1, and spring i do a thuro cleaning to get all teh salt off from the new england roads, wash it down with dawn and use two coats of rejex on watever vehicle i have at the time (my next stang will not be a DD tho)
Old 01-30-2011, 06:16 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

Neo, you must go to some damn picky car shows...

msot of the ones I attend dont make you open doors, trunk, and the hood is optional(open hoods ruin the lines of the cars...)

a couple other tips-

Dont apply tire shine until you get to the show- it will get thrown up onto the fenders and bumper

POR15 the wheelwells, makes them BLACK, not brown, grey, or poop.

bring something to clean windows with
Old 01-30-2011, 07:56 PM
03shadow
5th Gear Member

i HATE tire shine for the reason of it being flung everywhere! that is a good tip there NY!

Quick Reply: Prep for Car show?