Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Has anyone seen this month's issue of Consumer Reports?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 06:12 PM
justang05
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Has anyone seen this month's issue of Consumer Reports?

I wouldnt waist your money on CR. A while ago they tested the 350z and said its handling was poor... and for those who have drivin a 350z, that is a load of crap! Only problem ive had with my stang is vibrating and rattleing EVERWHERE! Oh yea... i was on the high way the other day and i got pretty heavy on the gas to get through some traffic and i heard a rapid knocking sound coming from the right part of the engine compartment, freaked me out but thats the only time its done it. Please tell me it wasnt running too lean without the tune! [&:]
Old 03-09-2006, 06:20 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: justang05

I wouldnt waist your money on CR. A while ago they tested the 350z and said its handling was poor... and for those who have drivin a 350z, that is a load of crap! Only problem ive had with my stang is vibrating and rattleing EVERWHERE! Oh yea... i was on the high way the other day and i got pretty heavy on the gas to get through some traffic and i heard a rapid knocking sound coming from the right part of the engine compartment, freaked me out but thats the only time its done it. Please tell me it wasnt running too lean without the tune! [&:]
CR is crap, you are 100% right on that one.

On your knocking in the engine compartment, does it sound like a metalic pinging noise? If so, then you have detonation and need to get a proper tune put on asap.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:44 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

I've owned my stang for 10K miles and about 10 months.. few problems, but none outweigh my love for her.

Problems:

1) Fuel Tank- When refueling at certain pumps, the pump just shuts off half way. Some say it's the "vapor recovery system," I say "fix it." They "fixed" it by replacing the tank and adding some wierd plastic thing on the fuel nozzle. Still shuts off at certain pumps, but works fine every where else.

2) Shifter sticks- I've posted this problem a while back. My shifter, out of nowhere, started sticking! It was tough to pull the thing down to drive and made a loud crunching/grinding noise and squeeked when stationary. Easy to push it back into Park though. Few days later, it seems to have fixed itself.

3) Trunk trim- dealership forgot a plastic pin retainer that screws my trim onto the lining of the trunk, so it vibrates... a lot. Easy to fix, just need to order a retainer for it.

4) Click with A/C and heater is on. I don't care. It's normal.

Pros:

Everything else! Driving a legend turns lots of heads!
Old 03-09-2006, 08:53 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

ORIGINAL: justang05

CR is crap, you are 100% right on that one.

On your knocking in the engine compartment, does it sound like a metalic pinging noise? If so, then you have detonation and need to get a proper tune put on asap.
the owners manual said it was prone to detonation at idle, its suppost to be normal lol.. first thing i said to myself was.. "thats not right"
Old 03-09-2006, 08:56 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ive also had the ABS issue... im almost tempted to disconnect the system all together.. if you know how to drive your car you dont need it lol

but really all that happens when my abs light comes on.. its tellling me i have no abs.. and frankly it doesnt bother me at all, just that its an annoying light on my dash, it tends to go away after a while of driving.. then oh no its working again...

i think it may just be a loose connection
Old 03-09-2006, 09:09 PM
ChewbaccaD
2nd Gear Member

I was wondering this too... obviously I'm a GT owner, but I've never begrudged any 6ers. To each their own . But I got the latest CR and was really surprised to see how different their opinions were between the 6 and the GT. Does the 6 really have that many problems? Most of ya sound pretty happy, or at least happy enough to deal with a few minor probs.

Of course, it wouldn't be the first time I've found CR to be wrong IMO...
Old 03-09-2006, 09:11 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

CR is full of it soo much it pouring out their ears, ive never seen a bunch more biased in my life

problems so far are simple and dumb.. and ford is always happy to adjust and fix the latest issue... like i have small rattle rear passnger side.. also the ABS dumb thing lol im not gonna fret
Old 03-09-2006, 09:20 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

The only thing I can think of as far as problems with my car is that the memory on the Shaker 500 goes blank when I'm listening to a CD, it will start it over again, but that's not that big of a deal for me. That's because it's only happened twice. But I've only had my car over a month.

Ask me how things are in a year.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:52 PM
cinque35
1st Gear Member

Glad I ordered mine w/o ABS/TC, don't want them and defiantly don't need the trouble when they go bad which is apparently common.
Only option I got was the sports apperance pkg, figured on moding everything anyway.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:56 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i had no choice on my traction package.. it was teh last black with red on teh lot...

Quick Reply: Has anyone seen this month's issue of Consumer Reports?