Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Noticeable sound difference between AUTO and manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 09:43 AM
tangtang
2nd Gear Member

Default Noticeable sound difference between AUTO and manual

So my buddy has a '05 v6 auto and I have a'05 v6 manual. Everytime I ride with him i get jealous becuse his ride sounds so much louder and more aggresive.
So here is my question, why is that???? Is that cause he drives like a grandma and has been babying his ride since he got it and i have been flooring it?
has anyone else noticed this?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:52 AM
vistapony
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Noticeable sound difference between AUTO and manual

ORIGINAL: tangtang

So my buddy has a '05 v6 auto and I have a'05 v6 manual. Everytime I ride with him i get jealous becuse his ride sounds so much louder and more aggresive.
So here is my question, why is that???? Is that cause he drives like a grandma and has been babying his ride since he got it and i have been flooring it?
has anyone else noticed this?
Does he have a non factory exhuast or are you both running stock?
Old 03-09-2006, 10:05 AM
tangtang
2nd Gear Member

both stock.......
Old 03-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Does his have more miles? It may just be that your muffler hasn't broken in as much as his. Or maybe he snuck a GT muffler on there and didn't tell you
Old 03-09-2006, 02:14 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

that would be my guess gt take off
Old 03-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Big Red
2nd Gear Member

I test drove the Manual V6 which i bought and I rented an Automatic V6 on a business trip and my Manual is a lot louder and more aggressive sounding, also the salesman who sold me my car said this was the first manual V6 hes driven and it sounds a lot louder than the auto ones on the lot, he said he didnt know why, but maybe that is the trend, or perhaps me and your friend just got lucky and got mustangs that sound badass and they both just happen to be manuals.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:28 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Big Red

I test drove the Manual V6 which i bought and I rented an Automatic V6 on a business trip and my Manual is a lot louder and more aggressive sounding, also the salesman who sold me my car said this was the first manual V6 hes driven and it sounds a lot louder than the auto ones on the lot, he said he didnt know why, but maybe that is the trend, or perhaps me and your friend just got lucky and got mustangs that sound badass and they both just happen to be manuals.
oh nm
Old 03-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

maybe ur just used 2 ur sound and hearing other peoples u think theirs is better?

for example, im so used 2 my shaker 500 that when im in my friends cars who have stock stereos and they have older cars, it sounds 2 me theirs is better but they all agree mine is the best stocker...

its weird, lol
Old 03-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Big Red

According to an article by one of the Ford Exhaust engineers in one of the Mustang mags a few months back, the manuals are supposed to have somewhat more aggressively tuned mufflers than the automatics, He was discussing GT's I think, I'm not sure if it applies to the 4.0's as well
Old 03-10-2006, 12:18 AM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

i noticed the same thing when i test drove a manual then an auto.

i decided it was because you can wind the gears much longer in the manual and you can be much more aggressive doing your own shifts.

Quick Reply: Noticeable sound difference between AUTO and manual