Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Drive shafts????

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 01:59 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Drive shafts????

V6 Mustang driveshafts are a new design by Visteon called a Slip-in-Tube. 05's are steel construction and the first aluminum driveshafts for Ford cars were used on the early production Explorer and, I believe, on the V6 Mustangs that came off the production line beginning late 2005, though I'm not real sure. According to Visteon, their patented design can take more twisting force than older driveshafts and the slip-in-tube telescopes in and out as the car moves over uneven terrain.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:05 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

Probably the Mustang application is more for being able to handle the car being lowered. It is also possible in the interest of consolidation that if the Explorer and the Mustang use the same driveshaft that they would swap them on both to have less part#s in quantity.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:07 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BlueStang6

V6 Mustang driveshafts are a new design by Visteon called a Slip-in-Tube. 05's are steel construction and the first aluminum driveshafts for Ford cars were used on the early production Explorer and, I believe, on the V6 Mustangs that came off the production line beginning late 2005, though I'm not real sure. According to Visteon, their patented design can take more twisting force than older driveshafts and the slip-in-tube telescopes in and out as the car moves over uneven terrain.
well all RWD drive shafts must slip in and out via slip yoke, if this didnt happen we would either blow our rear end or tranny since there would be un-necessairy force working on them both.. hopefully your rear end goes before the tranny does if your yoke is jammed
Old 03-12-2006, 06:48 PM
BlueStang6
2nd Gear Member

You're right, blackfoot. Here's what I was trying to say in a sentence or two: The driveshaft is a solid beam inside a tube. Visteon uses a Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) cold-rolling spline process. This technique means that no material -- neither the inner nor the outer tube -- is machined away. The process allows the tubes to slide, or telescope, in and out of each other easily even under heavy torque. During some durability tests the Slip-in-Tube driveshaft lasted more than four times longer than traditional driveshafts.

As the two pieces of the driveshaft telescope into each other a distance of up to eight inches, it improves the ability to absorb energy in the event of sudden impact. This eliminates the need for the heavier slip and stud yokes typically required with conventional driveshafts. In addition, the telescoping motion reduces the unpredictable Noise, Vibration and Harshness (NVH) sometimes associated with typical machined splined components. The aluminum version reduces weight by as much as 30 percent over conventional propshaft designs.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:00 PM
cinque35
1st Gear Member

yeah both GT and V6 are two pieces but the 6 is free-floating and less complex. i didn't know there were aluminum ones that came from the factory. i'll have to go look at mine again.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:01 PM
cstigger04
2nd Gear Member

Hmmm seems as if I might have started something here......
Old 06-02-2006, 03:39 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

rule of thumb for every 100lbs you shed, you gain a tenth
You are comparing apples to oranges. Driveshaft is part of unsprung weight so every pound of unsprung weight is aprox. 5-7lb of sprung. So if we can get a lighter driveshaft and shave 15lb of unsprung weight it would translate to aprox 150lb of sprung weight therefor reducing 1/4 mile times by .15 sec. Another way to look at is a 7-10hp gain at the wheels with 15lb/hp ratio.

Anyone put our driveshaft on a scale yet? The only way to figure this out :-)
Old 06-02-2006, 04:42 PM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

lol, talk about coming back from the dead.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:03 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

yes they are steel this one use to be a two piece now its a three piece

Old 06-03-2006, 03:09 AM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

so do we have aluminum or not. I checked under the car but can't tell the difference. Maybe I can use some magnet or other means.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31806/354C6D0FFA354A9691DC3C64AED97F2D.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Drive shafts????