Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stock 16"rims vs GT rims weight

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 12:38 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

Default Stock 16"rims vs GT rims weight

Just purchased my Mustang convertible V6 Deluxe with 5 speed manual yesterday.
I got the stock Aluminum 16" rims and was thinking of purchasing the GT rims but here is the delema.
I am not sure what our stock rims weigh with tires but assume around 40-45lb. Now going to GT 17" * 8 Rim and 235/55 tires probably will add about 5-10 lb of unsprung weight to my wehicle, correct? Every pound of unsprung weight = 5-7lb of Sprung weight so if I add on conservative side 5lb to each wheel 5*4=20lb of unsprug which translates to 100-140lb of sprug weight. Did anyone notice a performance decline when switching to GT rims? If someone still got stock and GT rim/tires around and can put them on scale that would help very much.
From my previous days of Civic racing, every 2pounds that we took away from a wheel (lighter wheels) made a noticeble difference.

If GT rims are heavier, maybe switching to 235/60/16 tires would be sufficient enough. What do you guys think?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:18 PM
tangtang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Stock 16"rims vs GT rims weight

hmmmm, honestly......let me just put this question in the "room". If you are that concered about performance, as in tenth of seconds which we ARE talking about here, why are you buying GT rims and not something high performance??? Also then you may wanna consider the 1/4" - 3/4" wheel height difference from the 16" to 17" rim, cause thats gonna cost ya some time as well (AGAIN if considering these tenth of seconds)
But really what im trying to say is I don't think its gonna make a noticeable difference. But i don't know what your mods are, what kinda times you are running now, what your plan is for your car, etc.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Moonbaby1973
2nd Gear Member

I noticed on the Fed-Ex labels when i got my GT take offs from Saleen, that they had each package listed as 38lbs. This was the 17" GT Bullit rim with the Perellie tire. I cant say how acurate that is, but is was the weight they used to determine freight, so i would assume its fairly accurate.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:35 PM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

I've got my stock GT rims (up for sale) and they don't seem very heavy. I'm guessing they weight about 21 lbs, but I'll have to find a scale to get a more accurate measure.
This picture is the same image as the one on my Car Domain page.

Old 03-10-2006, 03:26 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

I think the Bullitt wheel that's on the Pony Package and the GT is about 21 lbs. (per wheel). As for the 16 in. on the Premium Package (non Pony), I don't know the weight of that one, I'd like to know myself. If the 16 is less than the Bullitt, then I'd keep the 16 and put a lower profile tire on the car, but you were talking about doing that anyway. Ooopppsss.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:47 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

i.. honestly wouldnt even worry about it.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:08 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

I like the 5 spoke GT Rims but would like to get the weight comparison if anyone has the scale. I can weigh my 16" and someone with GT can weigh theirs. Is there a bigger difference in handeling with GT Rims since they are wider? By the way, 100-140lb ~ 6-8hp. I figure since its hard to get much power out of V6, why start restricting this early in the game.
As for mods, for now I'll keep it stock but do want to stiffen up suspension a bit, feels kind of soft.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:53 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

there is no weight no significant weight difference.. the stock 16" ers off by 2-3 lbs.. theres more material on the rims than the GT rims.. the only thing about a larger diameter rim is that its gonna take more hmppfff to get it rolling but will stay rolling once its moving... physics example : take a tree trunk perfectly round , around its diameter, then take another same exact size with a perfect hollow cut out in the center.. the solid trunk till gain speed faster, the hollow one will end up passing it eventually.. because the center of gravity is in the center of the whole piece, including hte hollow trunk , but theres no mass in the center .. everything is out at the edge, so momentum is taking whats on the outside and throwing itself (as in a way of saying) jsut to get moving.. while the solid trunk has a center in which it can start to turn on

but it all comes down to the laws of someone who i cant remember anymore lol.. objects in motion tend to stay in motion

im getting dumber since the college strike has been going on here in ontario, canada
Old 03-10-2006, 07:52 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Newton...
Old 03-10-2006, 08:16 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: WindVeil05DropTop

Newton...
lmao i was gonna say newton, but i was second guessing myself lol and didnt want to sound dumb, even tho i did :P

its is second law isnt it?

Quick Reply: Stock 16"rims vs GT rims weight