Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hellwig rear Anti-Sway bar install w/pics!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Truxtun
2nd Gear Member

Default Hellwig rear Anti-Sway bar install w/pics!

Well the rear Hellwig Anti-Sway bar is on... WOW!!! She corners like she is on rails, compared to how she drove before... Noir was with me on the first test drive, and he was thrown to the side of the car as I turned to head down the street. MAJOR difference from no sway bar to adding the rear... the front was a subtle, but noticable difference, this is like night and day. And I can move the bar to the stiffer holes if I want even more aggresive handling. The installation of the rear took about 2 hours with us taking our time, and using manual tools (no power tools or air tools) The bar comes with everything you need to install, and it is a bolt on only. I initially thought there would be some taping of screws or something, but there is not, only the nut/bolts and washers.

A few tips on the installation:

1. When putting the hardware together initially to get ready and mount them, the instructions said to put the hourglass shaped bushings into the hangers and the place the sleeve into it after greasing everything up (lube is provided in 2 tubes) What I failed to read, is that there are 2 different sizes of bushings and sleeves... so after getting them on wrong the first time, and being a pain to get the hour glass shaped bushings out once they are in ('C' clamp works) it is a good idea to read the part that says 'the bushings/sleeves WITHOUT the seam go on the hangers and the sleeves/bushings WITH the seam goes on the axle brackets'

2. Make sure you have an open ended 9/16 wrench in your tool set (and have not lost/misplaced it) or you will be making a run to the store. What, who? Me, don't know what your talking about You need it to hold the bolt for the axle bracket, and it is the only thing that will fit. For most of the other bolts/nuts, a normal socket set works.

3. A good torque wrench is a good idea... once again, to do it correctly, one must have the right tools and not have misplaced/lost them

I think that is about it, there were no cut/damaged fingers or hands, it was probably one of the easisest mods I have done. Hellwig sends you everything you need, and it is pretty easy using basic tools to get it done... and it makes a BIG difference in the cornering/handling of the car. Anyway... here are a couple pics... since is a basic bolt on, I skipped the pics of the actual turning of the bolts/nuts

For those that want this mod having heard how my install went, please call Nancy at Hellwig, and she will set you up $150 was the group buy price!

[IMG]local://upfiles/26988/93108CC2422C4271AE2DCA39C9589088.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26988/58C45555B5B1410DBD195DE1642BE3E2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26988/06BAB94ECD5B4800870D507C2F4CAF97.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-15-2006, 08:56 PM
Truxtun
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Hellwig rear Anti-Sway bar install w/pics!

More pics

[IMG]local://upfiles/26988/29AD398654A64ADD8D2D5DE7E22DC1FE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26988/05FF2EB36F5642F78D0C8FCE35BEF546.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-16-2006, 03:04 AM
noir
2nd Gear Member

I can vouch for the preformance boost that truxten mentioned. The car feels much more solid and pulls alot harder in the turns. I drove my car, his car with the front sway bar only and then finally with both. I'll just put it this way. I was sceptical at first but now im sure I want this mod down the line. Anyway, the install was fairly simple and strightforward. We did come into one problem because of a wrench we were lacking, but we ran down the the autoparts store and grabbed one. Whole install will take the average person about 2 hours. Good mod ++
Old 03-16-2006, 03:18 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

awesome ive heard good things about the sway bars glad it worked out for you.

chris
Old 03-16-2006, 12:43 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Truxtun,
Thanks so much for all of your detailed info! Just got off the phone with Nancy, my Hellwig rear anti-sway bar is on its way!!!

Also, I forgot to ask Nancy, what was the freight cost on yours?
Old 03-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Dean Martin
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info Truxtun. Just spoke to Nancy and told her you had a nice write-up on this site. My orders in!
Old 03-17-2006, 06:49 PM
muze one

how do I contact nancy @ Hellwig to set my car up..?
Old 03-18-2006, 01:45 AM
Truxtun
2nd Gear Member

Here is the link to the group buy thread... Sorry I did not include it earlier.

https://mustangforums.com/m_683937/tm.htm

Nancy can be reached at 800-367-5480 or http://www.hellwigproducts.com/antiswaybars/index.html
Old 03-18-2006, 02:18 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

hey truxtun what part of kwood are you in?
Old 03-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Truxtun
2nd Gear Member

Hunters Ridge (corner of northpark and WLH)

Quick Reply: Hellwig rear Anti-Sway bar install w/pics!