Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Shelby/Paxton supercharger with intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 08:29 PM
02pnygt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Shelby/Paxton supercharger with intercooler

The return line goes into the pan. Not sure if the 4.0 is the sameway but on the 4.6 there is a t where i belive the oil pressure switch screws in. It was plugged on one side. You remove the plug and the kit comes with a supply line that hooks right into it.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:40 PM
02pnygt
1st Gear Member

I went to the explorerexpress link but i cannot find any info on there about the mustang kit. Am I missing it or is there nothing on there yet about the mustang kit?
Old 03-16-2006, 08:56 PM
Justin_R
5th Gear Member

Go to the other link I think its the third one down, but I still rather have a procharger or vortech supercharger than this x charger
Old 03-16-2006, 09:10 PM
02pnygt
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Justin_R

Go to the other link I think its the third one down, but I still rather have a procharger or vortech supercharger than this x charger
Checked that one out too. Was just trying to find more info. I am really leaning toward the procharger. Only thing i'm not crazy about is that everywhere i have looked at they list it with the diablo tuner. I really prefer the sct xcal. The shop that built my 02 uses sct software. I would run the tune it comes with temporarily but would eventually want to have them tune it and with the xcal that would save me some money later. Also, does anyone know if the procharger stage II setup comes with a fuel pump. I've noticed they say fuel system. Then i see that it says the inj's that come with it but i see nothing about fuel pumps.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

The Procharger is self-contained, but does require an oil change every 6k miles as 02pnygt mentioned. The Vortech taps into the oil pan for the return line. The supply line requires drilling a hole into the block and tapping it (yikes!!!) EDIT- see post 34 for a more accurate description of this, what I described here regarding the Vortech isn't quite right. It warns not to get any shavings inside the block. They also mention that you cannot stretch out the oil changes, it's risky to the SC. The Dashworks Powerdyne is another centri SC, it is a self-contained unit with a 75k oil change interval. The drawback on that one is there is no history available. The X-Charger is self-contained with a 100k maintenance interval (needs a bearing swap at 100k, there is no oil). There's no info specific to the Mustang application yet, but they have their Explorer version shown here:

http://www.explorerexpress.com/catal...ercharger.html

As John mentioned, the selection of a power adder is really all about personal preference. I want strong low to mid range and don't really care about upper end. This is mainly for grins on the street, I don't race. People who drag race would be better off with a centri because it doesn't make a lot of power on the low end (easier to hook up on launch) but really ramps up on the mid to high end so you can let it unwind once underway.

There's also the Powerhouse turbo which is in testing phases. It looks like a strong contender as well! The new Mustangs have been out less than 2 years and already we've got a lot of power adder options, awesome!

By the way, there's a great thread on V6 Power Adders here:

http://american-speed.com/collective...read.php?t=167
Old 03-16-2006, 09:18 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Doh! I just noticed Jimp already posted the links There is a pic there of the X-Charger prototype on the Mustang. This pic isn't even on their site yet.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:23 PM
02pnygt
1st Gear Member

The Vortech taps into the oil pan for the return line. The supply line requires drilling a hole into the block and tapping it (yikes!!!)

Was not aware that on the v6 vortec setup that you had to actually drill a hole for the feed line. This was so easy on the 4.6 with just pulling the plug out of the t adaptor and screwing in the line. This makes the procharger look even more inviting to me at this point. I will have to keep an eye on the x charger and see how it looks as things progress.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 02pnygt

The Vortech taps into the oil pan for the return line. The supply line requires drilling a hole into the block and tapping it (yikes!!!)

Was not aware that on the v6 vortec setup that you had to actually drill a hole for the feed line. This was so easy on the 4.6 with just pulling the plug out of the t adaptor and screwing in the line. This makes the procharger look even more inviting to me at this point. I will have to keep an eye on the x charger and see how it looks as things progress.
Jeebus! Drilling into the block? No spank you!
Old 03-16-2006, 10:49 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

hey guys, other than looks, what is he advantage of the x-charger over the Vorech? i mean even with the 74 hp claimed you would still be slower than a stock gt, and we all know we would love to spank a gt, so whats the point? you can get more hp for $600 with a 100 shot nitrous and it seems to be safe....?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:58 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sonicblue05

hey guys, other than looks, what is he advantage of the x-charger over the Vorech? i mean even with the 74 hp claimed you would still be slower than a stock gt, and we all know we would love to spank a gt, so whats the point? you can get more hp for $600 with a 100 shot nitrous and it seems to be safe....?
I don't think we have final numbers on the X-charger. The Ranger's X-charger puts out 74 hp... I believe the Mustang's is supposed to do a bit better. And, not everyone's goal is to beat a stock GT.

I know many have gone the nitrous route and havin' a blast. I'm just not comfy going that way... and can't really explain why.

Quick Reply: Shelby/Paxton supercharger with intercooler