Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Proper break-in and regular maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:14 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Default Proper break-in and regular maintenance

Is there a proper method of break-in written somewhere. I've heard people say "take it easy". What about oil? Should I use synthetic oil right from the get-go? Would regular oil be best for the break-in period?

Why does everyone I know use 10W-30 in their cars, when most cars these days require 5W-40?

Ken
Old 03-17-2006, 08:19 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Proper break-in and regular maintenance

ORIGINAL: Ken Rogers

Is there a proper method of break-in written somewhere. I've heard people say "take it easy". What about oil? Should I use synthetic oil right from the get-go? Would regular oil be best for the break-in period?

Why does everyone I know use 10W-30 in their cars, when most cars these days require 5W-40?

Ken
5w-30

i drove mine easy for 10,000km, of course everynow and then give her a good hard go

use regular oil as long as nothing hardcore is done to your motor ie turbo or SC maybe nitrous..

why waste the money todays oils are almost as good as synthetic.. when you get high end then i recomend swtiching over
Old 03-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Do not run synthetics during the initial break-in period. After break-in you can run synthetics from that point on. Synthetic oil isn't much more than regular and should be used by anyone that tends to stretch the oil change intervals out a bit.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:26 PM
TNT1968
2nd Gear Member

I've been running synthetic since the first oil change. You can go almost twice the distance on synthetic than regular oil. BUT once you start you should stay synthetic.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Thanks. I understand that synthetic should be avoided during break-in, but will give better mileage and horsepower after break-in. What I'm looking for is an overall maintenance plan. I intend to do all oil changes myself, and avoid the dealership maintenance whenever possible, as long as this doesn't void the warranty.

My plan is to change the oil at 1000km with regular oil, then again at 5000km with synthetic oil. As for everything else, I intend to keep on top of things like rad flushes, brakes, tire rotations, stuff like that. I might run a poll to see how many of us are using synthetic.

I'd like to hear your thoughts, beliefs, opinions, or disagreements.

Ken
Old 03-17-2006, 09:29 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i got a fancy card from ford that i get oil changes free for life, and 20% discount off anything ordered by them.. i believe they call it the gold card
Old 03-17-2006, 11:14 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

i got a fancy card from ford that i get oil changes free for life, and 20% discount off anything ordered by them.. i believe they call it the gold card
Wow, did your dealer do something downright evil to you?

The break in subject was a hot debate on the Corral forums a while back. The general consensus was this: drive conservatively the first 1000 miles, and don't use the cruise control yet (thats apparently harder on a new engine than beating on it). After 1000 miles, switch to synthetic and then drive it like you stole it!

I have seen this to be true on several cars:
If you drive it like a p***y while breaking it in, the car itself will always drive like a p***y. If you're hard on it, it seats the valves more quickly and it gets used to being driven in such a matter.

So, bottom line, this pony was built to run, so let it loose!
Old 03-17-2006, 11:29 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

Ya, I took it "normal (easy)" for the first 1000-2000 miles. I have been using the Motorcraft synthetic blend from the get go.
Old 03-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Good advice, thanks. Since I'm going to be doing most maintenance myself, where can I get my hands on a Chilton's (or similar) manual for the '06? Has one even come out yet?

Ken
Old 03-18-2006, 01:02 AM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

om says "vary speeds" during break-in, doesn't say to not go a certain speed, specifys to use synthetic blend oil, thats what comes with it, I seem to buy a new car every couple of years, put on 40-100k miles and trade, regular maint shown in owners manual done on any vehicle makes a good argument when going to dealer for repairs or any service, I drive the same in my cars no matter what the mileage, if they are going to tear up, might as well be under warranty, try to use same shop or keep good records for maint, drive like hell and have fun if you want to

Quick Reply: Proper break-in and regular maintenance