Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A Few Questions Regarding '05 vs '06 Models...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 11:44 PM
cstigger04
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: A Few Questions Regarding '05 vs '06 Models...

I have an early 05. I haven't had one single problem....just completed an over 900 mile trip at 70-80 MPH with some bursts of speed to 113, where the computer starts shutting down the car, I averaged over 28MPG!!!! I love this car and I will keep it until I DIE.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:43 AM
cmallett1
1st Gear Member

I too thought about an '03 '04 GT vs. a new V6, and ended up going with the '06 V6. Actually, I gave it some thought, but there wasn't really that much of an internal debate, because I just like the new body style too much to have passed up. But that's just ME... and that's the real point here... it's all a matter of what you personally are after in a car. And neither decision is "right" or "wrong"... it's just a matter of personal choice.
It's pretty simple actually. What's "right" for me, won't necessarily be what is "right" for you... and what is "right" for you, won't necessarily be what is "right" for me.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mindfury

I also considered buying a used GT, however personally I have this stigma about used 'Stangs, it's one of those cars I think isn't quite the same unless it's a virgin.

i dunno if i would want to buy a used stang either becuase u know the previous owner probably beat the poop out of it before he traded it in, lol
Old 03-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Scrib
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Watchful Owl

First off, has Ford resolved the front-end noises that plagued the '05 models? I know alot of people had problems with a "popping" sound which usually occurred while turning at low speeds, like into a parking space and such. My friend had an '05 model but she sold it (excuse me, she claimed it was a P.O.S.) for several reasons, and that front-end noise was one of them. I haven't been able to find any TSB data or recall information on the subject. Has the issue been corrected on the '06 models?
Yes

Secondly, I am aware of another issue regarding the fuel tank filler, something about not being able to pump gas correctly? Again, I couldn't find any TSB or recall info on this subject either. I know it was a problem, atleast for some owners, but has it been addressed by Ford yet?
No - this is sometimes still a problem with high-flow nozzles. When you run into it, fliping the nozzle upside down takes care of it.

And third, have the problematic Shaker 500/1000 systems been cured? I'm looking at a V6 Premium but I don't want to pay extra for a sound system that can't play CD's properly.
No - still hit & miss

Overall, I just want to know if Ford went to any real lengths to work out the bugs for '06. The answer seems to be shrouded in mystery cause I haven't been able to find any topics on the subject. I realize a Ford isn't a Toyota when it comes to reliability and manufacturing quality, but I do have expectations when spending $23,000 on a new vehicle. Well, before I get my hopes and expectations too high, are there any '05-'06 Mustang owners who've had 100% trouble free operation from their purchase? If so, how many miles have you logged?
I have an '05 with 5k miles. My Shaker has skipped maybe half a dozen times, about the same as a '98 Blazer that it replaced. The fuel tank is mildly annoying, but not enough to make me go back to the dealer for the TSB replacement (which I've heard doesn't completely fix it, anyway). The biggest complaint most of us have with the Mustang is a passenger-side dash rattle. I don't get it much anymore, though.
Old 03-27-2006, 11:53 PM
Smokey04b

It's funny, Owl, but I posted the same questions before I bought mine too!

I've got an 06 V6 premium, with the pony package - basically with every option you can get except for the Shaker 1000 - and I have had no problems whatsoever. 2000 miles and the stereo has only skipped once. I will bitch about the noticeable pause between tracks though - but the sound is great for a stock stereo and I like have the cds in dash. No popping from the front end. No rattling dash. No frozen parking brake. No problem with the gas tank. Nada.

I've gotten ribbed by the GT boys a couple of times, but, whatever. $5-6 grand more to go 1 1/2 secconds faster? When you can spend $2 grand in mods and get that extra, plus lower insurance, plus better mileage. Not like I'm really going to be going to the track anyway.