Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do you change your own oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 01:28 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Do you change your own oil?

i will just start changing it myself after my 3 years of free oil changes from ford
Old 03-19-2006, 03:55 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

i one tried for an hour doing everything to lift the car off the ground. then i read the case to the jack i was using. "1 ton heavy duty" lol i guess my car weighs more than 1 ton. Valvoline it is. then i ask if they could use the oil i already bought, "yes we can but we will have to charge you for our oil too" wtf? screw it. three oil changes later i still have my synthetic oil in my trunk.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:59 PM
WindVeil05DropTop
2nd Gear Member

Guys, get a set of ramps! (less that $50), so much easier than screwing with a jack!

I change my own oil. 5 Quarts of Mobil 1 5w30 Full Synthetic and a Wicks oil filter run about $30.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:12 PM
one_focused_svt
3rd Gear Member

I bought the extended warranty so I get free oil changes at the dealer with full mobil 1 syntheric for life!
Old 03-19-2006, 06:16 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

I have my dealership do it... they have a hoist right there when you first come in... While the guy is changing the oil I walk around under the hoist inspecting other things... and then the service writers usually come over and check out the latest mods... LOL! I get GREAT SERVICE from my dealership... so hey for the extra money I get my oil changed with out getting dirty, I watch like a hawk to make sure it gets done right... and I've got a great rapport with the service writers and the dealership! LOL!

i do the EXACT same thing! lol
and my dealership gives me every fifth oil change free!
Old 03-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: WindVeil05DropTop

Guys, get a set of ramps! (less that $50), so much easier than screwing with a jack!

I change my own oil. 5 Quarts of Mobil 1 5w30 Full Synthetic and a Wicks oil filter run about $30.
I haven't been able to find any decent ramps.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Out of 28 votes, more than two thirds of us are using synthetic, and half of us do our own oil changes. I'll be using synthetic, baby!

Ken
Old 03-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

I just don't have time to mess with it. There's a local oil change place that is staffed with young but very effective and efficient mechanics, we take our cars there for general maintenance and inspections. I like to tinker with my car, but I'm way beyond being interested in oil changes The extra few bucks of having someone else change it (and of running synthetics) isn't a factor to me, so I'm perfectly happy to help keep the local guys in business
Old 03-19-2006, 09:19 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

That's no fun at all!

I eventually stopped doing my own oil changes on my old beater because, well, it was a beater. But in the giddy spirit of New Mustangship, I'm going to roll myself under there every 3 months.

Ken
Old 03-19-2006, 10:39 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i got oil changes for life with my dealer, sad thing is, its regualr oil... but nothing performance has been done to my car yet.. so i dont plan on using synthetic till the power goes up

Quick Reply: Do you change your own oil?