Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

newbie air intake questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 03:55 AM
cmallett1
1st Gear Member

Default newbie air intake questions...

I am VERY new to all of this, but learning as I go. Any help would be appreciated.
Basically, I am not looking to win, or even participate in for that matter, any races. To be honest, I'm not even that much of a speeder... well ok, maybe I am sometimes... at least since I got this car. But what I DO enjoy while cruising around, is the quick acceleration... the "pushed back into my seat" feeling I get when I decide to stomp down on that pedal. So what I would like, is to add more of THAT, if possible. From reading around on this forum, it looks to me like replacing the stock air intake with a cool air intake, changing to a custom tuning, and maybe replacing the stock muffler with a more efficient one would be the way to get what I am after (but I'm not interested in putting in a dual muffler). Am I right? I mean, are you guys just talking numbers here, or are you talking about something I will actually FEEL when I get down on the accelerator? Forgive me if that sounds stupid, but I just really don't know.
If I spend the money to put on a cool air intake, will I FEEL that difference when I hop in and take my first cruise down the road once its installed? And again, if I double the money spent and get the custom tuning along with the cool air intake, will I FEEL that much more difference over just getting the cool air intake (one that doesn't require a reflash of course)? Same with the muffler.
I just want to make sure with you guys that these modifications are indeed what will give me what I am after before I put that money down. I would hate to spend the money and find that there was no noticable difference in my day to day driving, but rather a difference in numbers on paper, if you know what I mean.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:35 AM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: newbie air intake questions...

depends on what you get, if u dont wanna get 1 that requires a tune then the afe i believe was dyno proven for 12rwhp. i believe afixer has it and he likes his a lot... u should be able 2 feel that difference, lol...

i might be talkin out my butt tho becuase i dont have a cold air intake yet... lol
Old 03-25-2006, 04:44 AM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

C&L Intake and a tune is pretty much the most cost effective (next to NOS, I guess) mod you can do. And you WILL feel it!
Old 03-25-2006, 08:36 AM
muze one

I put in an AFE stage 1 and definately felt the difference the minute I stepped on the gas! I did get the check engine light, but after diconnecting the battery for 2 hours to reset the computer...all is well. Also picked up a couple of MPG. I'll be going dual in a week or so, once I get the stock center pipe and muffler hangers for the left side...
Warning - once you start mods you're easily addicted...racer or not!
Old 03-25-2006, 10:02 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cmallett1

I am VERY new to all of this, but learning as I go. Any help would be appreciated.
Basically, I am not looking to win, or even participate in for that matter, any races. To be honest, I'm not even that much of a speeder... well ok, maybe I am sometimes... at least since I got this car. But what I DO enjoy while cruising around, is the quick acceleration... the "pushed back into my seat" feeling I get when I decide to stomp down on that pedal. So what I would like, is to add more of THAT, if possible. From reading around on this forum, it looks to me like replacing the stock air intake with a cool air intake, changing to a custom tuning, and maybe replacing the stock muffler with a more efficient one would be the way to get what I am after (but I'm not interested in putting in a dual muffler). Am I right? I mean, are you guys just talking numbers here, or are you talking about something I will actually FEEL when I get down on the accelerator? Forgive me if that sounds stupid, but I just really don't know.
If I spend the money to put on a cool air intake, will I FEEL that difference when I hop in and take my first cruise down the road once its installed? And again, if I double the money spent and get the custom tuning along with the cool air intake, will I FEEL that much more difference over just getting the cool air intake (one that doesn't require a reflash of course)? Same with the muffler.
I just want to make sure with you guys that these modifications are indeed what will give me what I am after before I put that money down. I would hate to spend the money and find that there was no noticable difference in my day to day driving, but rather a difference in numbers on paper, if you know what I mean.
Do you have an automatic or a manual?

A CAI will mainly help at the higher RPMs.... like around 4000RPM. The stock air box is really not all that bad...

If you want off the line GRUNT here's my suggestion:

1) An SCT X-Cal2 hand held tuner(if you want a CAI I suggest going with the C&L/X-Cal2 combo). This will fix the shortcomings in your cars computer.... LOL! Get's rid of most of that annoying throttle lag (my C&L help with this too). If youhave an automatic a tune will remove the torque limiter and greatly improve the shifting...

2) Aftermarket muffler... You'll pick up around 10RWHP! And it will sound better... the stock muffler is horribly restrictive! LOL! Personally I love my MRT axle back. My MRT muffler write up including pics, dyno sheets and videos: http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/...ng.htm#muffler

3) GEARS!!!! If you really want to feel the torque sit you back when you punch it... a set of 4.10 gears will help!!! 4.10s are not for every one... depends on your driving style... but they are a blast going from stop light to stop light!! And while you have the diff cover off you might as well have them throw an LSD in there too! LOL! I have the Ford Track-Lock... I'm pushing almost 450ft/lbs of torque through it with ZERO problems! I just had the diff oil changed and the rear end inspected... everything looked good! LOL!

Old 03-25-2006, 10:28 AM
cmallett1
1st Gear Member

Thanks a lot for the response guys. That helps a lot, and that's what I was hoping to hear.

Oh, and I have a manual by the way... I should have said that in the original post. (thanks Scrming)

And as far as mods being addictive... I've only had the car 2 weeks now and I'm starting to see how easy one could catch mod fever... in fact it feels like I may be coming down with it... lol.

Old 03-25-2006, 10:29 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

I have to agree with Scrming, everything he said. LOL.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:58 PM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

I have a manual too, and I went with the C&L/XCal2 combo from Bamachips. It's $650 for the kit, and you can install it yourself (I have minimal experience working on engines but was able to do it in the driveway in less than an hour).

I've never dyno'ed my car -- though I would like to -- but I don't need numbers to tell you that the CAI/tuner combo makes a BIG difference in that "seat-of-the-pants" acceleration feeling. Make sure you get a reputable tuner (Bamachips gets my vote, but I've also heard good things about Evolution Performance and Alternative Auto -- check the forums for this old argument) who gives you a few different tunes with varied octane levels.

Right now I'm running the 93 octane torque tune from Bamachips; I feel the difference throughout the power band and especially in the lower RPMs. Even in 4th or 5th, cruising along at 2000 rpms, when I depress the gas pedal there's an IMMEDIATE response. The car really pulls from a dead stop, too -- I actually burned rubber unintentionally the first time I drove it after installing the kit. The sound is noticeably different as well. The exhaust seems louder, but you can also hear (!) the intake noise -- think of inhaling quickly through nearly closed lips and you'll get an idea of the sound.

I'd say to put in the intake+tuner and then look at some performance exhaust options. I just installed Vortex duals and both sound and performance are even better. If you want to stick with single, talk to scrming about his MRT and I'm sure he'll convince you (although he might even get you to go duals, so be careful!).

Oh, one more thing -- I, like you, thought about going with an intake that didn't require a reflash (personally, I liked the K&N) but somebody on this forum pointed out to me that if an intake doesn't pull in enough air to change the air:fuel ratio (necessitating a retune), why would you bother getting it? In other words, not enough air to change ratio = not enough air to make a noticeable difference in your power.

Good luck with the mods!
Tim

Old 03-25-2006, 11:10 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

truthfully, after i get the cash i was looking at the MRT CAI. i don't have the money for a tuner with an intake ($500-$800) for the tuner+CAI combo is an awful lot for me right now. the guys at MRT claim their CAI doesn't require a tuner or re-flash. please note i said "claim".
Old 03-28-2006, 11:40 PM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

Alright, now I'm getting confused. I thought I wanted a BORLA muffler (axle back), now I like the sound of the MRT in the video clip. I went to the AERO site and they offer a 2.5 into 2.5 OR a 2.5 into a 4 muffler. Which did you get SCRMR??? Is MRT and AERO the same products or is MRT the place that did the work???

Quick Reply: newbie air intake questions...