Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

CAI's and Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 02:31 PM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

Default CAI's and Tuners

Ok now that we have an idea what we need to do lets start a thread for CAI's and/or Tuner I know that we have heard it over and over before but lets try and stay to the topic so we can maybe get this Sticky'd to the top and be done. I dont have a CAI but it would be nice for those of you who do have them to list the hp increase, price, where you got them, etc.

Ok heres that article, thanks omer.... Remember I believe these are the GT's numbers.

Stock Airbox

At first glance, the stock air-intake system on the '05 Mustang GT looks great. You've got this great big box in the driver-side front corner of the engine compartment that takes up a lot of room--to allow for lots of incoming air, you might presume. In fact, the intake is a little 2x2-inch tube sticking into the fender area behind the grille, and the stock intake box houses a panel filter that receives marginal inlet air. Also, the stock inlet tubing aft of the mass air meter is rather small and contains a large bend that likely slows the rush of incoming air. Besides being an integral part of the stock inlet box, that stock mass air is reportedly extremely sensitive. Our cold-air designers had to keep that in mind when they fabricated the location of the new tubing that would house the new mass air mount.

The good news is, there's a lot more area to work with than on the '04 GT, and the willing Three-Valve mill rallies around a breath of fresh air. Our baseline numbers were made with the car in stock trim, then we pulled the hydrocarbon trap from the inlet and got 261 rear-wheel horsepower and 282 lb-ft of torque--a 6-rwhp gain over the base numbers; add that into the final numbers if you like. Once Ken got through adjusting the computer with a modest 91-octane tune, the car's baseline was established at 271 rwhp and 289 rwtq.

Anderson Ford Motorsport

Since the dawn of the 5.0 Mustang, Rick Anderson of Anderson Ford Motorsport has been a student of how a Mustang gets air into its engine. His Power Pipe is a staple of the Mustang aftermarket, so it was no surprise his '05 version has so much to offer. It features a massive 80mm Professional Mass Air Systems mass air meter that can be calibrated to work with 19-, 24-, or 30-lb/hr injectors with no flash needed. Beyond the impressive hardware, not having to worry about a third party "correcting" the computer is a huge bonus and justifies the initial price.

"Through design, the Power Pipe delivers a larger volume of cooler air to the engine," Rick Anderson states on his Web site. "By doing so, our '05 Mustang has produced up to 16 additional rear-wheel horsepower from simply installing the Power Pipe with mass air meter with no additional tuning needed."

In a plug-and-play society, this is the king of the bolt-on-and-forget-it '05 CAI kits. We especially like the versatility of this unit and the obvious built-in oversizing for when things like heads/cams/intake packages become available for your favorite Mustang.

Keep in mind: Our photographs show the prototype for this setup, so the paint, chrome, and welding isn't perfect like the production piece you can buy now. Even though it didn't need a tune, our judges were hesitant about the value of the AFM piece. Still, they thought it was well built with a high level of Expected Durability. This is a cold-air system that's built to grow with your combination. Should you add a blower or turbo, you can still use the 80mm Professional Mass Air Systems meter.

By the Numbers

AFM Power Pipe

Price: $569 (PN AF-0115C)
Peak Horsepower: 280 (19hp gain)/(287.6 hp with SCT tune)
Peak Torque: 296 lb-ft (14-lb-ft gain)/(302.2 lb-ft with SCT tune)

Subjective Evaluation

Ease of Installation: 27
Value: 23
Appearance: 34
Overall Quality: 35
Expected Durability: 39
Total: 158

C&L Performance

You've probably seen a C&L TrueFlow intake, as Lee Bender (the man behind C&L) has worked overtime to develop suitable tunes for his cold-air that are marketed with his partner's (DiabloSport) Predator tuner. It's a slick collaboration that's garnered much-deserved attention for early '05 modifiers. Lee had the most to lose going into this comparison test, as C&L is by far the leader in this product segment, with good reason. The C&L cold-air blends OEM fit and finish with the optional Predator tuner to ensure your '05 Mustang takes full advantage of the breath of fresh air. It looks right and complements the engine compartment nicely.

The C&L 83mm mass air is machined separately from the inlet pipe to ensure it's smooth and accurate--a big point when working with fussy electronics. The system offers a 4-inch inlet through a massive conical filter (surrounded by one of the nicest shields) and a 3.5-inch outlet that leads to a smooth elbow perfectly connected to the stock throttle body with form-fit couplers. The hardware was all there, the pipes lined up as pictured, and the kit flat-out worked. Lee points out his system is perfect for the '05 daily driver or racer who wants a solid aluminum pipe into which a nitrous-system nozzle mounts without worrying about exploded plastic if the spray backfires.

Our judges loved the C&L system, giving it the highest total subjective score. Install, Durability, and Quality were almost perfect. Scores were down some for Value, probably due to the higher initial cost of buying it with the Predator or getting just the CAI and adding a custom tune.

The judges wondered if the aluminum inlet piping might get heat-soaked in the super-hot '05 Mustang engine bay. Pick your poison, as we've heard some plastic versions have warped during summer driving in the Deep South.

Like K&N and PowerHouse, C&L will offer an '05 V-6 kit. By the time you read this, Lee will have introduced the first race cold-air for the serious '05 Mustang jockey. It will feature 4-inch roto-molded plastic tubing, a massive 95mm aluminum C&L mass air, and a $299 price tag. It should be the ultimate low-weight, bang-for-the-buck system on the market that still features C&L's famous fit and finish.

By the Numbers

C&L Performance TrueFlow Intake

Price: $749 (TrueFlow intake with Predator tuner)/ $389 (TrueFlow intake)/ $169 (inlet pipe with hoses, clamp, and fittings)
Peak Horsepower: 286 (25hp gain)
Peak Torque: 302 (20-lb-ft gain)

Subjective Evaluation

Ease of Installation: 43
Value: 35
Appearance: 41
Overall Quality: 42
Expected Durability: 44
Total: 205

ORIGINAL: 0to60

The C&L intake is a great product, but it will require that you purchase a handheld computer tuner as well because it pulls in so much air that the air/fuel ratio needs to be adjusted.

There are several companies that offer the cold air intake (CAI) and tuner as a combo for about $550-650 dollars. In my opinion, this is the best mod to make when you're just starting out. The performance gains are very noticeable!

Good luck!
Tim
ORIGINAL: 0to60

Great thread, whatdaproblemis0! I just wonder if there's a list like that for the V6-specific CAIs rather than the GT ones...

I paid $650 for my C&L and XCal2 (with three custom tunes) from Doug at Bamachips. Sorry, no numbers -- but I can definitely feel the difference! Doug sent me stats on another V6 manual like mine that had a rwhp increase of about 25.

Tim

JLT True Cold Air Intake

The JLT CAI makes no excuses--it's a low-cost air piranha that goes to work as soon as you crack the throttle. Expectations for this system were high, as it appeared to be made with a racer in mind and came into our comparison with many satisfied Internet customers. With a huge--and straight--4-inch inlet, a large mass air adapter, a big conical filter, and a simple shield, the JLT cold-air mea
Old 03-30-2006, 02:39 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: CAI's and Tuners

myself and a few other folks have posted a link to an article that was in 5.0 magazine that had a CAI comparison test using 11 different CAIs. Prices were also included. I'll look for it.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:47 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

Here's that link I was talking about: http://mustang50magazine.com/techart...ake/index.html
Old 03-30-2006, 03:21 PM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

Cool thanks, I think I was able to cut and paste it all. It should be in the original post.
Old 03-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

now thats awesome info.....
Old 03-30-2006, 03:30 PM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

yes, now we just need people with the actual systems so maybe I can quote them and put their quotes under their respectable intakes. I wonder if anyone will mind if I go through the threads quick and quote them on some of their tuners and CAI's?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Puleo76
3rd Gear Member

nothing beats testimonials, lol
Old 03-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Prices would be nice too for the CAI+Tuner combos and stand alone tuners as well.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:57 PM
lmmmmm
2nd Gear Member

what's the date of this article. The information seems dated.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:08 PM
hamidlmt
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: lmmmmm

what's the date of this article. The information seems dated.

It is dated... this was posted months ago... last year sometime, I believe. Still, Spring is coming and there's a renewed interest in intakes...so, it's a good repost.

Quick Reply: CAI's and Tuners