Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

SYNTHETIC OIL

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 03:12 AM
nicarc369
2nd Gear Member

Default SYNTHETIC OIL

Im gonna change my oil tom. and was wondering what are the pros and cons. of going synthetic. I doesn't matter to me that it lasts longer but other than that is it better to use for the engine and performance? Also, once you use synthetic you can't use regular again right?

...Tom. will b the first road trip in the stang...7 hour drive to sacramento
Old 03-31-2006, 03:25 AM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: SYNTHETIC OIL

I would like to know this also.....
Old 03-31-2006, 07:35 AM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

Bump
Old 03-31-2006, 08:40 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

I run a petroleum/synthetic, motorcycle specific blend in my 99 YAMAHA, ROYAL STAR VENTURE. Remembering that the same oil lubes the tranny gears and the motor, synthetic is a good thing in that application.

With a car, you can achieve mild performance gains and some longevity with the motor with synthetic (the argument has been made that frequent changing of conventional motor oil does the same thing). I have read that it is advisable to run the car (or motorcycle) for at least a few thousand miles prior to switching over to synthetic. The theory is that it allows the motor parts to break in ( I hate that term, as most cars need minimal break in these days), and the internal motor parts can "seal themselves". After about 8 - 10,000 miles, the use of synthetic is then advisable.

Even today, some critics refer to synthetics as "snake oil", in other words a hyped up product that really isn't much better then conventional. Personally, I am confident that the technology contained in the various products, can improve the longevity of your engine and that they are not longer so prohibitively expensive that the price can not be justified. Many of "older" guys remember when we first started seeing MOBIL 1, it was quite expensive compared with other motor oils.

The above opinions are mine, based on research and personal experience and asking questions. Bottom line, oil is piece of mind. Unless you have extreme conditions (hot or cold), keeping clean oil of the proper viscosity, and using a clean filter EACH CHANGE, should keep the motor happy and healthy for a LONG time.

On my motorcycle club forum, this topic usually opens the door for oil product recommendations and many replies. For me, both my MUSTANG and my 01 ESCAPE go to the FORD dealer often and get conventional oil and a MOTORCRAFT filter (another topic). I don't do much of my own oil changing these days, as I have a great local dealer and trust them to do it right (after I get home, I make sure they did it right). I'm getting older and have long tired of crawling under a car and getting greasy.

Good post,
Old 03-31-2006, 08:48 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

One other thing. In response to the last part of the initial question. I think the biggest NO NO with synthetic is to try and introduce the product into an older or higher mileage engine, after the car has run only conventional oil for a long time. It is my understanding that the synthetic will leak through or burn through the motor parts that have over time "loosened up" a bit (by this I mean introducing synthetic into the motor for the FIRST time later in the life of the motor). Once again, I am not an engineer or mechanic.

As for switching back and forth, I would advise anyone to stick with the same type of product that they have been using (conventional or synthetic, I'm not getting into brand recommendations with this). I imagine the different properties of each (conventional, synthetic) would make switching back and forth a less then advisable move.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:33 AM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Yes, definetly run your new engine at least 5000 miles so all the seals seat properly. Then you should be ready to change over to synthetic. If you change your oil yourself I recommend Mobil 1. I could care less about changing my own oil so I take it to Havoline. Their synthetic brand is good too.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:27 PM
Wicked Pony
3rd Gear Member

I use semi synthetic Motorcraft oil and I change it myself. I'm due to change it again in acouple of weeks. I like the mixture of synth and natural- it's the best of both worlds.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:07 PM
Fig06
2nd Gear Member

Ran an 01 Foucs ZX3 to 130k on Mobil 1 oil changes. Never missed a beat and never leaked. First change on the Stang is freebe from the dealer this weekend. From then out it'll be Mobil 1 for me till death do us part !
Old 03-31-2006, 04:27 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

It's recommended that you break in on regular oil before switching to syn. Syn is actually too slippery and doesn't allow the new parts to run in properly.

There's no problem switching back to regular oil after running syn.

As for whether it's "better", yes, it is a better lube. It doesn't break down as quickly, so people who stretch the oil changes out should run syn. If you change your oil religiously every 3k, then it probably won't make much of a difference in your engine life one way or the other.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:22 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wicked Pony

I use semi synthetic Motorcraft oil and I change it myself. I'm due to change it again in acouple of weeks. I like the mixture of synth and natural- it's the best of both worlds.

lol you mean its half as good

lol i use conventional.. untill my car gets turboed.. im not gonna switch

Quick Reply: SYNTHETIC OIL