Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Trying to learn about small block etc pistons ect

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:26 PM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

Default Trying to learn about small block etc pistons ect

Ok so I was on supersixmotorsports.com when I came across their "power adders"and now im curious and would like to know some things that go beyond exhaust,cai questions. Im trying to learn a little more than just the basics so I hope you all would be generous enough to help me out. Im sure there is one of those Dummies books for a guide to understanding motors but They dont sell those in english over here haha jk Thanks again.
"4.0 SOHC V6 Mustang 4.0 SOHC Ranger Explorer SportTrak

Stage 2: Fully ported intake and exhaust ports, complete bowl work,
1.81/1.54 valves, 3-angle valve job, stock .48 lift springs (#60 seat),
seals, surfaced, assembled: $950* 206 CFM intake/160 CFM exhaust.

Stage 2+: Stage 2 plus high polished chambers and exhaust ports, exact
fit 1.83/1.56 swirl polished stainless steel valves: $1200* 226 CFM/176
CFM exhaust.

Stage 3 SuperHeads: Stage 2 plus high polished chambers and exhaust
ports, exact fit 1.83/1.56 swirl polished stainless steel valves, .550
lift Crower Cobravalve springs (#80 seat), Crower retainers, and seals:
$1550* 226 CFM intake/176 CFM exhaust.
* $250 refundable left/right core set"

Basically what im getting from this is that Stage 2 is an upgrade from our stock heads and Stage2+ is an upgrade from 2 and stage 3 is an upgrade from Stage2+

If you intend to run a supercharger or nitrous on your 4.0 SOHC, be aware that
the stock 9.7:1 compression ratio is not blower friendly at all and the SOHC
heads do not have a strong deck. Blown head gaskets are already a problem in
supercharged and nitrous applications. For this reason, we’ve developed a set of
high strength head studs. They are produced by ARP using their new ARP2000
high strength alloy. The kit includes 16 studs, hardened washers, and nuts. Prevent
blown head gaskets and install these head studs whenever you run a power
adder:

Ok what im getting from this or what I think they are say is our head studs arnt strong enough(so they say) for a power adder correct? Because I dont think everyone in here who has a power adder has done this so is this wrong? So these would be an upgrade as well and not included in any of the stage 2,2+, or 3 kits?

SSM Custom Reduced Base Circle SOHC Cams
Our cams are custom regrinds and are provided in a left/right set: $550*
$125 refundable left/right core set
Duration (.050) Lift Lobe Separation
211/211 .500/.500 112
Crower Cobra valve springs, retainers, and seal set required: $450

Boost or nitrous kills stock hypereutectic pistons, that’s why we don’t use them.
The 4.0 cammer’s piston top ring land is too close to the crown for power adder
applications. Forged Wiseco pistons are manufactured from forged 2618 aluminum
alloy, and feature these durability improvements for power adder and nitrous
applications in your daily driver:
- Much thicker top ring land
- Anti-detonation and pressure equalization grooves
- Pin oilers and oil drain back holes
- Thicker crowns and skirts
- Off-set pin position
- High strength pin saves over 20 grams of weight
- 8.8:1 compression ratio with new spherical dish (supercharger/turbo)
- 10.0:1 compression ratio flat top (nitrous /naturally aspirated)
- 1.2/1.5/4.0 moly ring package
Designed for press-fit assembly with stock 4.0 forged rods: $725 Includes rings,
and light weight wrist pins .

So would this basically be an upgrade from our pistons we have now then?

4.0 SOHC shortblocks include custom Wiseco forged pistons , race
prepped stock forged rods, ARP 2000 head studs, new main studs and
rod bolts, polished crank, seasoned SOHC block, flywheel/flexplate,
balancer, rings, bearings, freeze plugs, and seals. Each shortblock is
cleaned and inspected, aligned, decked, bored, torque plate honed,
glyptaled, balanced, and professionally assembled.
Specify 8.8:1 compression ratio for supercharged/turbo applications or
10.0:1 for naturally aspirated or nitrous applications.

I take it that this is the complete kit or whatever that contains all of the above? Ok last stupid question but what does this all do for you. Does this add hp or does it just make your engine more beefy and can handle more?
Old 03-31-2006, 06:31 PM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: stupid question but trying to learn about small block etc pistons ect

Oh if the mods want to move this somewhere else where it will get more feedback that will work to as well, just figured id post it here cause its a 4.0 topic
Old 03-31-2006, 07:27 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: stupid question but trying to learn about small block etc pistons ect

interested too.... i thnk it just "beefs it up" but i could be wrong
Old 03-31-2006, 08:50 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

jeeese there is soo much your asking i dont know how im gonna explain most of it lol...

the stage kits are pretty allowing more air into your engine, and allowing exhaust to leave much quicker to put in laymans terms.. i dont know if a cam is used too?? if they cammed it youll get more of a valve overlap which will increase the scavenging and generate more of a air fule charge in your combustion chamber..

Also this kit is for the ranger, our mustang 4L have been modified by factory.. i believe items like bolts and headgaskets, have been dealt with.. i could be wrong.. but no one has had any issue yet

they are full of poop when they say boost kills our (special name i have a hard time pronouncing) pistons, every piston has a stress limit.. wether its cast, forged or whatever.. it will only handle soo much.. much more on certain types too.. forged for example

the last part is really saying that if you change your internal you can add more power .. especially with the lower compression pistons (with their set up, i estimate you can handle 22lbs of boost lol) or a reason to get more power with pistons alone.. run highcompression..

they are trying to sell, and they are doing a good job at it
Old 03-31-2006, 11:11 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfoot
<SNIP>
I agree 100%!!!! I remember when that "tech" article came out last summer/fall.... basically was:

"The sky is falling!!! The sky is falling!!! Oh... and buy are parts...." LOL!

So many people took that article as gospel...
Old 04-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Trill Gear Head
4th Gear Member

Yeah, their are a couple people around here with s/c and nitrous(screamn). Just be patient and learn from their mistakes, i'm sure they will let us know if something bad happens like a blown rod etc...
Old 04-01-2006, 09:15 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: scrming

ORIGINAL: blackfoot
<SNIP>
I agree 100%!!!! I remember when that "tech" article came out last summer/fall.... basically was:

"The sky is falling!!! The sky is falling!!! Oh... and buy are parts...." LOL!

So many people took that article as gospel...
Yep, this article keeps comming back up like a troublesome user! LOL. I think SSM may have potential for people going dual power adders or insane amount of boost for a dedicated track car. But the article is written in a fashion that suggest the engine will blow with the slightest amount of juice or boost.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:55 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

you mean short block?
Old 04-02-2006, 04:14 AM
whatdaproblemis0
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8cd03gro

you mean short block?
yes short is what i meant
Old 04-02-2006, 06:01 AM
8cd03gro
5th Gear Member

i didnt really read all of your first post because i am an extremely lazy teenager...but, ill try to explain what piston compression does because i know that is one of your questions... higher compression means the piston compresses the air/fuel mixture under it. Higher compression pistons compress this mixture further and create more longitudinal movement hence more horsepower, but higher compression means less boost friendly. When boosting an engine, the air fuel mixture will be hotter and will tend to "knock" or detonate without the spark plug detonating it because of the heat. This heat also makes the air fuel mixture expand making it harder to compress without knocking. That is why most boosted cars will have lower compression engines. we use octane gasoline because it has eight carbons in the hydrocarbon chain and is least likely to ignite under pressure (compression) compared to the gasolines with other size hydrocarbon chains.

i have seen some people saying our engine has too high compression to boost...this is just plain wrong. The 04 sti which is one of the best turbo cars on the market is running 8.2:1 compression with a max boost of 15. to run 6 psi on our cars with a conservative tune would be pretty safe. boosting more than 7-8psi will start to get a little hard on the rods and pistons and they should be changed out for forged ones. while doing this you might as well consider getting lower compression pistons to make the boost even safer for your engine. hell the rsx-s has somewhere around 11:1 compression if i am not mistaken, and i know 2 people that have supercharged those and been fine for over a year. remember, everything is a trade-off. High compression means higher horsepower without boost, but low compression means safer for boosting.

Quick Reply: Trying to learn about small block etc pistons ect