Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

How do you wash your pony?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 06:21 PM
KiLLeR_WoMBaT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: How do you wash your pony?

Well, here was today's routine:

1. Spray car with clean water
2. Scrub tires and clean wheels
3. Rinse tires and wheels
4. Spray car again
5. Prepare soapy water with Dawn (to remove old wax this time, not every time)
6. Wash/rinse front
7. Wash/rinse windshield and top
8. Wash/rinse driver's side
9. Wash/rinse back
10. Wash/rinse passenger's side
11. Rinse entire car with slow running water (no spray nozzle) for the sheeting action
12. Dry car with two microfiber towels (one to get most water, the other to remove streaks)
13. Tape off black plastic molding with blue painter's tape
14. Wax entire car with Meguire's NXT Tech Wax
15. Let wax dry for 20-30 minutes
16. Remove wax residue with microfiber towel, turning often
17. Clean all glass with Windex and glass microfiber towel
18. Vacuum interior
19. Put Raggtop protectant on convertible top

Long...but looks OUTSTANDING!!! The wife is convinced I am OCD about the damn thing.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:57 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

11. Rinse entire car with slow running water (no spray nozzle) for the sheeting action
Great idea! I'll incorporate that into my cleaning ceremony.

Ken
Old 04-14-2006, 08:02 PM
noir
2nd Gear Member

Does that make a big differece in comparason to a spray nossile? My biggest complaint about washing my car is that when i just wash it, hense no going back over and polishing the water spots out, I leave water spots all over my car.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:29 PM
onefastv6
3rd Gear Member

first i get out the micro fiber towels,chrome cleaner, meguiars wax,back to black(it gets all the wax residue off of the black window guard and gives a nice shiney look) back to black also works good on grill and side skirts. tire wet. and meguiars cleaner. and i fill up a bucket of hot water and put the meguiars cleaner in it and put my washing mit in it.
then i walk around it with hose and spay the wheels fender wells,rear, front and grill, lights,hood front bumpers,roof,spoiler,windows underneath by the mufflers(the whole car) again and again for about twenty minutes. then i scrub the car and wheels down with the bucket of hot meguiars cleaner shampoo and conditioner.
then i rinse the whole car down and quickly pull it into the garage and shut garage door half way to keeep the sun from leaving sun streaks. and i squeegee the roof hood and spoiler so i dont have to use so many cloths. then i dry it down with the micro fiber towels. and then i wax the car and the chrome exaust tips with meguiars next gen wax. then remove wax twenty minutes later. while i wait for wax to dry i open hood and clean all the black with back to black. and then i get the window guards and side skirts with the back to black. then i remove wax. and then wax it again then i get the wheels with the chrome cleaner and then the tires with tire wet then i look over car for smears and spray them with meguiars spray cleaner and then dry then i get the windows with windex and dry with news paper.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:50 PM
0to60
2nd Gear Member

Just washed mine today too! I use the Mr. Clean Auto Dry system -- here's my routine:

1. Make sure the windows are all the way up and the trunk is closed

2. Rinse the whole car.

3. Soap, scrub, and rinse the car in sections, using a wash mitt.
- roof and windshields
- hood and front fascia
- trunk and rear fascia
- driver's side
- passenger side

4. Soap, scrub, and rinse the wheels and tires, using a scrubbing brush.

5. Rinse everything one final time

6. Turn on the top-secret Mr. Clean Auto Dry filter and rinse the whole car from top to bottom with the filtered water.

7. Wait for it to dry!

8. Open the door and promise myself that NEXT time I'll definitely have to vacuum the interior where the gravel has built up, windex the windows where my 4-year-old foster brother has drawn finger pictures, shampoo the floor mats where my baseball players ("Coach, can I have a ride? Pleeeeease?") have tromped with their cleats, etc.

9. Hurry and hide in the garage from the approaching rain clouds.

On a side note, I actually use pretty hot water throughout. It wasn't by design -- just so happens that the spigot I tap into dispenses only hot -- but I find it actually makes the drying off period quite brief. Might be worth a try if you have the option...

Tim

Old 04-14-2006, 11:13 PM
jet22
2nd Gear Member

It happends with black cars... make sure you're in the shade and you use two towels.

1) for realy wet
2) the other to get rid of streaks

and get a new dry towel for each section of your car. and use microfiber
Old 04-14-2006, 11:22 PM
amystery2u
3rd Gear Member

Touchless automatic carwashes only for me. No swirl marks.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:23 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

4. Soap, scrub, and rinse the wheels and tires, using a scrubbing brush.
I've heard people say this before. Does scrubbing with a brush do something for tires? I figured that a sponge would be ample.

Ken
Old 04-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: amystery2u

Touchless automatic carwashes only for me. No swirl marks.
Yeah I do that too sometimes.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:46 AM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

Outside:
1. Spray the wheels with water then a wheel cleaner spray
2. Let it sit then wash them off with a ****ty towel
3. spray them down with the hose
4. Spray it down real good to get the spare dirt off (make sure its not in the sun or you'll get horendous water spots!)
5. Let the water sit to get the sediment soft for a minute or two then spray it down again to get whatever you didnt get off the first time off for good.
6.wash down the top cabin area/windows with microfiber mitt/spray
7. wash down the hood/fenders/front bumper/spray off
8. wash each side individually/spray off
9.wash rear trunk lid and back/spray off
10- have two buckets- "clean" bucket (just water to get dirt from cleaning off) and a soap bucket (self explanitory)
11. (shouldnt really be 7 but whatever!) spray off the already clean parts periodically to keep the water from setting water spots in your clear
12. get a crappy towel and wash off the side skirts/spray em off
13. spray the whole thing down one final time
14. Get off water with the California Water Blade (as much as possible)
15. get two microfiber towels and dry the rest off (especially in the gas tank area, where the spoiler touches the deck lid, and under the tail ights!! they LOVE to drip)
16. get a ****ty towel and dry out the door jams/gas tank area/underside of the deck lid etc etc...
17. Clean the windows/mirros (i prefer "Invisible Glass" by stoner)
18. spray it all down with meguiars Detailer Spray and buff it off with a microfiber towel.

Inside:
1. wipe every plastic/vinyl surface with any product kinda like armorall
2. knock any dirt or sediment onto the floors off of the dash or whereever
3. vaccum up the floors real good (move the seat front and back to get under those!)
4. Wipe down the seats with a leather protectant.

THis is why i dont let anyone clean my car! i'm a picky b*#%h! But hey my car looks nice as s#*t when its done!

when its black you REALLY gotta take car of it and get the best stuff or you get water spots/streaks/swirls.

Quick Reply: How do you wash your pony?