Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

cool gadgets

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 02:12 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Default RE: cool gadgets

Well I'll say this, they do work, but for the money, they are deffinitly not worth it, dynos are much more accurate, and you can actually talk hands on with somebody to make the proper adjustments to your car to make it faster instead of just guessing about what to do.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:11 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Trill Gear Head

what about a 1/4 mile time. Lets see if that works.
Accodring to Gtec, the car runs 14.1@107. LOL. Wooo hooo.

Maybe it's in ricer mode, and measuring performance from a roll. Check the manual and see if it's set to "ricer performance". LOL.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:25 PM
chrisc
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

ORIGINAL: Trill Gear Head

what about a 1/4 mile time. Lets see if that works.
Accodring to Gtec, the car runs 14.1@107. LOL. Wooo hooo.
when it was stock, or what it is now?
Old 04-20-2006, 04:14 PM
Mike 83 GLX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: skiba5546

You enter the weight of the car, and it calculates everything by G-forces. I have one of these (diff. brand: vericom). Also, how COULD it pull the info from the cigarette lighter? Does the car think "He installed a CAI, TB, and got a tune... he MUST have 230 HP!"???
Exactly!

The most important thing with these is that you must know the exact weight of the vehicle and everything inside it as-tested, in order to calculate horsepower correctly. And the road must be perfectly flat and level for the accelerometer to work with minimal error. I always see people get strange numbers because they read somewhere that their car weighs XXXX lbs so that's all they enter. I've weighed my Mustang before testing and my results have been fairly accurate.

If nothing else they're consistent, and good enough to use to find out if you gained anything from your mods. When I used it at the track, my 1/4 times were within .1 sec and a couple mph, but the speed is calculated differently than the track timers. I'll try to remember to dust mine off and test it again when I get dyno tested this summer.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Harry_F
3rd Gear Member

Heh, no. It measures g-force and uses GPS(I believe) to measure speed, acceleration, hp, etc.
how would it pull no engine info and get hp numbers. if two cars accelerate at the same time they have the same hp. no. i beleive it measures hp and TQ from the cigarette lighter at the flywheel not the wheels
Old 04-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Harry_F

Heh, no. It measures g-force and uses GPS(I believe) to measure speed, acceleration, hp, etc.
how would it pull no engine info and get hp numbers. if two cars accelerate at the same time they have the same hp. no. i beleive it measures hp and TQ from the cigarette lighter at the flywheel not the wheels
It guesstimates your hp based on your vehicle weight and acceleration.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:40 PM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

ITS A TOY, I do know that the tach display is dead on but it starts at 1k rpm, I would be calling guiness book if I even thought those numbers were close, however, ITS A TOY, at least its my take on it, I am going to play with it like any other TOY for a grown up, but hey, they were great #s for sh*ts and grins. LOL
Old 04-21-2006, 01:08 AM
Mike 83 GLX
2nd Gear Member

The older GTech/PRO model doesn't read ANYTHING from the +12 outlet. It uses just a built in accelerometer, timer, and a chip to record and calculate data.

The only thing the newer models "read" from the outlet is the noise from the alternator in order to calculate RPM. Basically the RPMs rely on the "alternator ripple" that is superimposed on the 12V DC. The newer models added the rpm feature to enable more calculations for more features, such as torque measurement using RPM and acceleration. They added/upgraded alot of other features too. They still calculate hp pretty much the same as the older ones....see below.

Snipped from HERE:
"Let's explain how this works:
In simple terms the G-tech pro is an accelerometer, an accurate clock and a DSP chip to record measurements 400 times per second ! (The G-Tech is actually more than that, but this is for our own simple explanation for stang newbies).

Calculating HP, speed, distance, Mass, and time to get performance numbers is actually a very easy equation. Let's look...

Velocity (V) (or speed) is calculated by Acceleration (A) multiplied by Time (T). V=AxT. The G-Tech can calculate acceleration with it's internal accelerometer and time it calculates by it's internal clock which is automatically triggered at the launch of your stang. So it can calculate Velocity (or speed) easily.

Now that you have Velocity (V) calculated you can get Distance (D) easily by just multiplying V x T. D=VxT. So now you have Acceleration, Velocity (or speed), Time, AND distance all figured out! Now how do you get Horsepower ?

For horsepower you need to throw Mass (M) into the equation. Mass is the weight of your stang in pounds. Oh yes.. we forgot to tell you, the G-tech allows you to enter the weight of your stang into it ! Now that you have entered the weight of your stang into the G-tech pro, it has all the info it needs to further calculate rear wheel horsepower. The equation is: Horsepower = Velocity x Acceleration x Mass. HP=VxAxM. Now you got rear wheel horsepower !"

Old 04-21-2006, 01:14 AM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

It actually is NOT a toy, it is quite accurate actually. Better call guiness! lol
Old 04-21-2006, 01:52 AM
bscottie
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mike 83 GLX

The older GTech/PRO model doesn't read ANYTHING from the +12 outlet. It uses just a built in accelerometer, timer, and a chip to record and calculate data.

The only thing the newer models "read" from the outlet is the noise from the alternator in order to calculate RPM. Basically the RPMs rely on the "alternator ripple" that is superimposed on the 12V DC. The newer models added the rpm feature to enable more calculations for more features, such as torque measurement using RPM and acceleration. They added/upgraded alot of other features too. They still calculate hp pretty much the same as the older ones....see below.

Snipped from HERE:
"Let's explain how this works:
In simple terms the G-tech pro is an accelerometer, an accurate clock and a DSP chip to record measurements 400 times per second ! (The G-Tech is actually more than that, but this is for our own simple explanation for stang newbies).

Calculating HP, speed, distance, Mass, and time to get performance numbers is actually a very easy equation. Let's look...

Velocity (V) (or speed) is calculated by Acceleration (A) multiplied by Time (T). V=AxT. The G-Tech can calculate acceleration with it's internal accelerometer and time it calculates by it's internal clock which is automatically triggered at the launch of your stang. So it can calculate Velocity (or speed) easily.

Now that you have Velocity (V) calculated you can get Distance (D) easily by just multiplying V x T. D=VxT. So now you have Acceleration, Velocity (or speed), Time, AND distance all figured out! Now how do you get Horsepower ?

For horsepower you need to throw Mass (M) into the equation. Mass is the weight of your stang in pounds. Oh yes.. we forgot to tell you, the G-tech allows you to enter the weight of your stang into it ! Now that you have entered the weight of your stang into the G-tech pro, it has all the info it needs to further calculate rear wheel horsepower. The equation is: Horsepower = Velocity x Acceleration x Mass. HP=VxAxM. Now you got rear wheel horsepower !"

I'm glad you found this post, the accuracy however depends on the accuracy of the input data for your specific parameters, I did as the book said, the article and manufacturor guarantee the accuracy to certain percentages, the only variables that I have uncertanty about are pitch and weight of vehicle, I like the little gadget, and actually believe that with some time I could get it to do just as advertised, I still dont believe that I'm pushing 253hp and 264# trq, but I will get to a closer point of actuality with this "cool gadget" in the future. It is still just for fun.

Quick Reply: cool gadgets