Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bullitt chase scene

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 06:47 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

Default Bullitt chase scene

It's overcast today, and i'm off work, and hadn't watched "the chase" in a few years, since college i guess...and man, every single person who calls themselves a car enthusiest needs to watch this chase a least once, simply beautiful.

Why is this the best car chase ever? Most car chases are highly unrealistic, and while entertaining the audience generally has to suspend their disbelief for a few minutes. This tends to go with the mood of film today with stunts where a normal man just couldn't pull off.

In bullit the chase is real, it could happen. The fact that the cars do not do perfect manuvers all the time helps add this realism. Look at the part where the mustang has to back up and take the turning, only one wheel is spinning as the car is turning. <actually that shot unplanned as MQueen just overshot the turn and almost hit a cameraman, and after that a stunt driver was used> In another shot the Charger hits a camera car taking a tight turn, that was left in also. Nowadays in hollywood that would have been edited out or "fixed" with cgi or reshot..

Whilst stunts like transporter 2 where he flips the car over to remove the bomb or Fast and the Furious' 2 minute drag races and jumping bridges will appeal to those who don't care about realism and want a wow factor, to a car nut it really doesnt cut it - you want to imagine you could be behind the wheel of the car.

Plus the cars sound awesome, even if the engine sounds werent those of the 68 fasback 390 used, the burnout from the Charger at the intersection is just music, and it documents an era when emmisions and fuel costs didn't matter like today, where huge V8s were the norm.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:58 PM
chidrock
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Bullitt chase scene

It's great how it starts out slow, and then heats up. It's awesome when the guy in the Charger thinks he lost him only to have the Mustang show up in the rearview.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:01 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chidrock

It's great how it starts out slow, and then heats up. It's awesome when the guy in the Charger thinks he lost him only to have the Mustang show up in the rearview.
Yup, and when they go to the in-car POV down the hills of San Fran, damn...classic.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:26 PM
MattyJ
2nd Gear Member

Hands down, the best chase scene ever. I absolutely love this movie, but the car chase really ties the whole thing together.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:29 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

Hey....thanks for making me regret not buying this movie last Friday night when I saw it on sale! [>:]

Edit: I've seen it before, for the record, just not in say...the past five or six years...
Old 04-26-2006, 08:01 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Great review Ebert! I think I'll go rent it today!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, it's a terrific show. My favorite is the inside-cam shots of McQueen getting air. The chase felt very real, with the exception of the 9 hubcaps that came off the car during the chase...
Old 04-26-2006, 08:46 PM
jericho73
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ken Rogers

Yeah, it's a terrific show. My favorite is the inside-cam shots of McQueen getting air. The chase felt very real, with the exception of the 9 hubcaps that came off the car during the chase...
True, lol...but even the hubcaps flying off added to the realism. Just forget like 2 sets flew off and they would return in the next scene or be missing on different wheels
Old 04-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Another good Mustang chase (although not as good as Bullitt) is a scene from the original 1974 "Gone in Sixty Seconds", where they use a yellow '73 Mustang.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:09 PM
socool9004
2nd Gear Member

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ullitt&pl=true

to all thoses who never whitnessed the greatness!!!!!

Quick Reply: Bullitt chase scene