Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Computer Flash/Tuner question

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 06:04 PM
Big Studly
I ♥ Acer

Default Computer Flash/Tuner question

Well....I did some messing around with my car and made me a CAI for about $40 and the check engine light came on.....so I took it up to Autozone and the codes came back that I was running to lean....SO.....I am guessing I have to reflash my computer to get the right air/fuel ratio. I have two questions for you experts out there...

1) Where could I go to have this done and about what would it cost? I mean, can you take it a local mechanic or what?

2) If I were to get my own tuner, could I buy one off of say e-bay that is for some other make/model car and just get a program from the manufacturer or one of you guys, or do I need to actually buy a tuner specific to the 06 V6 Mustang?

I just can't afford to drop $400 on a tuner and I was hoping my little home made mod wouldn't require a reflash.....if anyone has any other suggestions as far as economical ways to reflash the computer, I would appreciate it.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:06 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Computer Flash/Tuner question

you have no choice but to buy a tuner, and since you made your own CAI, there will be no tunes for it which means you will have to pay a dyno place $120-145/hour to tune your car.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Big Studly
I ♥ Acer

so could I find one off e-bay that is not specific to the mustang?
Old 04-30-2006, 08:50 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

no, the new iso system on the ecm's requires each programmer to be programmed to each vehicles computer. there are usually 2 for manuals and 2 for autos. so 4 for v6s. Only hope of savin money is findin someone sellin one used that returned theirs to stock and has the same comp code as u.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Big Studly
I ♥ Acer

well, I found this place here in town...web site is www.dallasmustang.com. It seems like they can tune it for you for $300-$500. It sounds like you don't need your own tuner, but I could be wrong... I am going to call them this week and see what they have to say....

I am way out of my league with fuel injection.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:00 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

there is 0 way to retune it without a tuner. You can purchase one from them, but not for $300 including the tune. $500.... maybe, but most likely 600-800 after all is said and done. Thats if its possible, if you are getting too much air, then u will have to ditch the intake. If you want to save money, just take ur homemade one off, buy a K&N (or wait a month for me to take mine off) which doesnt require a tune.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Big Studly
I ♥ Acer

I guess that is an option, but I am kind of thinking, since it needs a tune, it is getting more air than any CAI that doesn't require a tune, therefore; going to produce more horsepower with a tune......i think i am going to bite the bullet and pay the money, but I think I am going to change mufflers first.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:06 PM
fazm
5th Gear Member

yes but there is a chance of too much air period? maybe? i dont know. But ya, definately get a tune.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Big Studly
I ♥ Acer

I am not sure if you can have too much air or not...I don't think so since there is only a certain volume of air that can fit into the cylinder...but what do I know, I am only a mechanical engineer.

I don't think I would be getting to much air if you can get to much air. All I did was install a cone filter I bought at AutoZone and use about 6" of 3" diameter aluminum clothes dryer duct (so it was malleable to fit my MAF into) and stuck the MAF on and used RTV as a sealer with some self tappers and lock tite. I connected that to the stock intake hose that goes to the throttle body with belive it or not a 3" coupling gasket for your home sewer line. I know there are kits out there that use this set up with a 4" line between the stock hose and filter, and that one was much smoother then what I used. All in all, I would say I am getting very good air flow, but probably not as good as some of the kits, but obviously good enough to make me lean and need a tune.

Now, I did buy one of those 'performance' chips off of e-bay and stuck it onto my water temp. sensor....it is supposed to be faking out the computer into increasing the air/fuel ratio...which is odd because with that and more air, I would think I was still within spec, but apparently not...

maybe it is messing up something else and is the problem. i am going to remove it this soon disconnect the battery to get the light to shut off and see what happens......

maybe I won't need a tune after all, but the engineer side of me hopes I do because it just tells me that what I came up with is pretty damn good for just picking parts out of home depot on a Sat. afternoon.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:48 AM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Big Studly

I am not sure if you can have too much air or not...I don't think so since there is only a certain volume of air that can fit into the cylinder...but what do I know, I am only a mechanical engineer.

I don't think I would be getting to much air if you can get to much air. All I did was install a cone filter I bought at AutoZone and use about 6" of 3" diameter aluminum clothes dryer duct (so it was malleable to fit my MAF into) and stuck the MAF on and used RTV as a sealer with some self tappers and lock tite. I connected that to the stock intake hose that goes to the throttle body with belive it or not a 3" coupling gasket for your home sewer line. I know there are kits out there that use this set up with a 4" line between the stock hose and filter, and that one was much smoother then what I used. All in all, I would say I am getting very good air flow, but probably not as good as some of the kits, but obviously good enough to make me lean and need a tune.

Now, I did buy one of those 'performance' chips off of e-bay and stuck it onto my water temp. sensor....it is supposed to be faking out the computer into increasing the air/fuel ratio...which is odd because with that and more air, I would think I was still within spec, but apparently not...

maybe it is messing up something else and is the problem. i am going to remove it this soon disconnect the battery to get the light to shut off and see what happens......

maybe I won't need a tune after all, but the engineer side of me hopes I do because it just tells me that what I came up with is pretty damn good for just picking parts out of home depot on a Sat. afternoon.
Unless you are monitoring your AF, you have no way of knowing if you are running too lean. Getting the "performance" chip is not a good idea unless it was calibrated for your custom built CAI. You are running the risk of running lean, leading to detonation and thus engine damage. If you are happy with the CAI, then I would get a Diablo or SCT and take it to a shop for a proper dyno tune. It is innovative what you fabbed up, but I wouldn't run it for long without a proper tune.

Quick Reply: Computer Flash/Tuner question