Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

crank pulley alternative

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 08:09 PM
06mustang
1st Gear Member

Default crank pulley alternative

it seems that the claims made by motoblue about the 6's gains with teh 20% reduction crank pulley have been greatly exagerated. on a few sites i have read that alot of people are unhappy with the pulley because you dont see ANY increase in HP. i guess my question is this, i have read that a few people do a differant mod that gets them HP without spending teh money on a pulley that doesnt work. anyone heard of this and if so how can i go about doing it? thanks.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:39 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: crank pulley alternative

You could always get rid of the A/C, that will usually free up a lot of horsepower.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:52 PM
06mustang
1st Gear Member

does anyone know of a place that has an A/C delete kit. during the summer im aweful cheap and i dont turn the A/C on cuz natural air to me feels better, so a delete kit would be better.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:23 PM
sn8kbit

FYI, the RPM "Motoblue" pulley is the ASP underdrive pulley. Same "claims" from both people. Crank pulley alone will net you a tad, but not that much. Maybe it's worth 6 flywheel HP, which would turn out to 2 or 3 tops at the wheels. A full set of pulleys on my 99 Cobra only netted me around 8 at the wheels.

That said, the ASP/Motoblue pulley combined with the PHP alternator pulley, and you may see a bit more increase, but nothing stellar.

While I'm going with an RPM package, I most certainly haven't bought into "advertised numbers". I'll tune it myself, thank ya!
Old 05-04-2006, 09:37 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sn8kbit

FYI, the RPM "Motoblue" pulley is the ASP underdrive pulley. Same "claims" from both people. Crank pulley alone will net you a tad, but not that much. Maybe it's worth 6 flywheel HP, which would turn out to 2 or 3 tops at the wheels. A full set of pulleys on my 99 Cobra only netted me around 8 at the wheels.

That said, the ASP/Motoblue pulley combined with the PHP alternator pulley, and you may see a bit more increase, but nothing stellar.

While I'm going with an RPM package, I most certainly haven't bought into "advertised numbers". I'll tune it myself, thank ya!
Skip the ASP, stick with the PHP alternator pulley.... You cannot run both.... ok... you can but you'll end up with dead battery!!! LOL!

The PHP alternator pulley is good for about 3 to 5 RWHP... dyno sheet shows the gain:

Also... as far as A/C delete... why??? Just leave your A/C off? There is very little to be gained... when the A/C is off the pulley is just freewheeling... if you really want to you might want to call PHP.. LOL
Old 05-05-2006, 12:20 AM
06mustang
1st Gear Member

PHP?! im guessing thats pauls high performance alternator pulley. does his website have that pulley at all or is it a special order part? being that i wanna go all motor every little bit of Hp i can salvage is worth it. its a hrder route but its goes to show what can be done before you ever add a SC or turbo.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:47 AM
sn8kbit

ORIGINAL: scrming

Also... as far as A/C delete... why??? Just leave your A/C off? There is very little to be gained... when the A/C is off the pulley is just freewheeling... if you really want to you might want to call PHP.. LOL
Au Contraire, mon fraire. There's more to be had by deleting the AC, as in removing the AC compressor, dryer, lines, condenser. Considerable weight savings off the nose of the car. While there is only a little to be gained at the HP level, the gains in removing weight are just as important!

Tip to combining both ASP and PHP pullies: Get a 200 amp alternator. Charging issues solved.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:50 PM
rygenstormlocke
6th Gear Member

PHP Alt Pulley, I have it on mine. They also have a AC bypass and some other goodies:

http://www.paulshp.com/

Old 05-05-2006, 06:26 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sn8kbit

ORIGINAL: scrming

Au Contraire, mon fraire. There's more to be had by deleting the AC, as in removing the AC compressor, dryer, lines, condenser. Considerable weight savings off the nose of the car. While there is only a little to be gained at the HP level, the gains in removing weight are just as important!

Tip to combining both ASP and PHP pullies: Get a 200 amp alternator. Charging issues solved.

Ok.. when you say delete you mean DELETE! LOL! Ok... i was thinking just a bypass..

BTW... skip the 200 amp alternator... I had the PHP pulley on... we then added the ASP crank pulley and seen NO GAIN! Other shops have reported like 5RWHP with just the ASP pully... so.... you get the same gain with just the alternator pulley... and the alt pulley is cheaper and less $$$

Old 05-05-2006, 11:46 PM
vistapony
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rygenstormlocke

PHP Alt Pulley, I have it on mine. They also have a AC bypass and some other goodies:

http://www.paulshp.com/

Rygen....do you have a more specific link to the pulley? I can't seem to find it on the site you listed.

Quick Reply: crank pulley alternative