Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

whats would a 8.8 rear do us?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 08:00 PM
armycook1981
2nd Gear Member

Default whats would a 8.8 rear do us?

8.8 Rear End
This heavy duty, limited-slip 8.8 inch rear end houses a 3.55 rear gear ratio. Recommended for any V6 supercharged application. Requires custom computer tune. Fits any 2005+ Mustang..off of shopshelby.com .....

how would this help us s/c guys.. what would it allow us to do... is this what the gt guys have oh and if so i saw a alum driveshaft floating around somewhere for the v8's.. would that be a part to use with it ? all you techies out there.. Im just a buy it and get it installed kinda guy.. exuse the rookie question
Old 05-07-2006, 08:30 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: whats would a 8.8 rear do us?

the reason they recomend the 8.8 is because its stronger.. the size of the rearend is the size of its crown. (more meterial the stronger it is).. an aluminum driveshaft is a nice mod.. and its the bolts that make up the Ujoint housing, you could most probobly use your stock driveshaft, but thats dependant on that the yoke for the pinion is at the exact same spot that the 7.5 would be.

same for the output end of the transmission it must be at the same place..

8.8 rear end is an excellent mod, if you want durabilty and strength, but i think youll need to get a custom driveshaft made.. which isnt that expensize anyways
Old 05-07-2006, 09:58 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackfoot

the reason they recomend the 8.8 is because its stronger.. the size of the rearend is the size of its crown. (more meterial the stronger it is).. an aluminum driveshaft is a nice mod.. and its the bolts that make up the Ujoint housing, you could most probobly use your stock driveshaft, but thats dependant on that the yoke for the pinion is at the exact same spot that the 7.5 would be.

same for the output end of the transmission it must be at the same place..

8.8 rear end is an excellent mod, if you want durabilty and strength, but i think youll need to get a custom driveshaft made.. which isnt that expensize anyways
while I agree the 8.8 is definitely stronger/better than our 7.5 I got a feeling part of thereason Shelby is sticking the 8.8 in is because they can just buy the 8.8 complete with 3.55 gears and a track lock... which is easier than opening up our 7.5...

The only reason I see moving to an 8.8 is if you have a manual and plan on running stickies... LOL
Old 05-07-2006, 10:07 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

There's a lot of hot rods out there that use either an 8 inch or a 9 inch rear-end, whether it's an auto or manual transmission, it's because they're running a lot of power to the rear wheels.

The 8 inch rear is something that I'll be looking at a few years down the line when I'm able to get a the engine rebuilt with better pistons, cam, and crank with some sort of forced induction.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:20 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: omer333

There's a lot of hot rods out there that use either an 8 inch or a 9 inch rear-end, whether it's an auto or manual transmission, it's because they're running a lot of power to the rear wheels.

The 8 inch rear is something that I'll be looking at a few years down the line when I'm able to get a the engine rebuilt with better pistons, cam, and crank with some sort of forced induction.

Well, I think the my 7.5 is holding up a lot better than most would have expected... with the N20 spraying as early as I was I was probably hitting close to 500 RWTQ on Drag Radials! LOL
Old 05-07-2006, 10:23 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

thats disgusting! lol

was your motor swaped out yet?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:40 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

thats disgusting! lol

should be.. LOL! Haven't talked to Scott in a few days... Hopefully it should be in no later than the begining of this week...
Old 05-07-2006, 10:48 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

you still driving it around meanwhile?
Old 05-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: scrming

thats disgusting! lol

should be.. LOL! Haven't talked to Scott in a few days... Hopefully it should be in no later than the begining of this week...
Just out of curiousity, and you don't have to answer here of course, how much does something like that run? A used 4.0 and the swap? In case this happens to me, heh.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:56 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jimp

ORIGINAL: scrming

thats disgusting! lol

Just out of curiousity, and you don't have to answer here of course, how much does something like that run? A used 4.0 and the swap? In case this happens to me, heh.

Well, like powerhouse, Scott was able to round up a lightly used 4.0L for around $900... Has between 3,000 and 5,000 miles... Not sure how much the Labor part of the bill will be... some where between 10 and 15 hours... ???? LOL!

Oh.. and I'm driving our truck right now... GMC 2500HP Duramax! Turbo Diesel!!!! Talk about GRUNT! LOL!

Quick Reply: whats would a 8.8 rear do us?