Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DANG!!! I HAD A LITTLE PARKING LOT INCIDENT

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 12:18 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

Default DANG!!! I HAD A LITTLE PARKING LOT INCIDENT

i was backing out of a space this morning and turned to look, but didnt see anyone, so i kept going.......then i hear a horn and a small crunch sound...........CRAP!!!! [:@]

so i get out of the car and apparently there was a woman sitting in a car next to the curb and she was in my blindspot.......PERFECT!!! [:@]
so now i've got 2 or 3 small scratches on my bumper that took the paint clean off.........not big....about 2 inches long or so................ but i'm gonna have to use some touch-up paint cuz it's pretty easy to see [:'(]

What kind do i need and what is the best process for applying it? the scratches are on the plastic bumper cover, not the body of the car.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:26 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: DANG!!! I HAD A LITTLE PARKING LOT INCIDENT

fill in the scratchs lightly, dont gloob it on... then buff and wax
Old 05-12-2006, 12:29 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

thanks man......do i need like a roughing sponge to clean the paint edges around the scratches?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:32 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

well you could wet sand, after you apply the paint.. find the finest grit paper possible.. soak it in water and sand the area, generously using water.. then buff
Old 05-12-2006, 12:35 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

ok thanks, i'll probably try that....... i just hate when the stang's not PERFECT lol..........i'm so just.....grrrrrrrr!!! [sm=headbang.gif]

what kind of paint though?
Old 05-12-2006, 12:47 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

our paint has a clear coat over it so unles you spray it wont be the exact same. i actually got some touch up paint from a auto paint dealer. and it works great but most ford dealers cary our paint in the little touch up bottles now. funny thing the little touch up paint i got from the dealer dosent look as nice as the 1/2 pint i bough from the paint shop. and black means real fine 600 or 1000 grit paper im sure. tack your time dont rush it.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:55 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

Ok. where do u suggest i buy the paint? and do you think it'll be easy to tell that its been touched up?
Old 05-12-2006, 01:27 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

unless you sand spray and clear coat you will always be able to see it. but i have touched up my car plenty of times and if you take your time and as black has said sand then buff as long as the color match is good . unless you looking for it. it should not be so bad. the bigest prob people have is rushing it. heck i just noticed yesterday when i was with beaustang. a have 2 nicks in my a pillar on the pass side. damn they suck . so i touched them up last night and ill sand today. and prob touch up again. any auto paint store is good. look in the yellow pages. the one i went to had small bottles with brushes even so i got a couple. to keep one in the car. they will also have all the sand paper and stuff you would need. and depending how cool the guy or gal is they may even come out and give you som advice on how to fix it. i have found that if you ask nicely most of the counter guys ar pretty cool as long as they dont have a bunch of people at the counter.
good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-13-2006, 01:28 PM
will_c
3rd Gear Member

ok thanks.....when i get a chance i'll snap a couple pics of the damage..... i just hope the paint on the bumper doesn't start chipping off around the scrathces
Old 05-13-2006, 03:12 PM
jet22
2nd Gear Member

och that hurts... If you like your black pony perfect like I do mine... you need to do like afixer said, wet sand and spray clear. My mom had a Cadilac and scrached the mirror, my dad used touch up paint from the dealer (my dad used to paint hot rods with custom jobs they hit the front cover of HR mag, so he knows what he is doing) But it never looked the same, that cadi had a pearl white flip-flop.

Anyhow you would do best to have it fixed professionaly, or get a new bumper

Quick Reply: DANG!!! I HAD A LITTLE PARKING LOT INCIDENT