Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

So you think you're paying a lot for gas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

Default So you think you're paying a lot for gas?

OK, a few of you know I just bought a turbo bike. Well the turbo is an adjustable vane design and has a high/ low boost switch (wouldn't it rock to see this on a Mustang?) On low it's pulling 10 pounds of boost and can run on 93 octane. Flip the toggle switch to high (15 pounds boost) and it requires 100 octane minimum, preferably 104. Well I spent a couple of days trying to find 104 octane gas, you'd swear I was asking for moon rocks the way people reacted!! I finally located a speed shop that sells it for the bargain basement price of........... only 6.05 a gallon!! Yikes! It makes 3 bucks a gallon for 93 octane look like a bargain But man, the sensation of driving it on high boost is a nearly religious experience, "warp speed Scotty!" It's awesome! It's made the itch to put a power adder on my stang even worse
Old 05-12-2006, 07:59 PM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: So you think you're paying a lot for gas?

Man that sounds like such a rush...Worth the cost in my book...to bad I don't know how to ride a bike. Must learn.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:59 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tres Wright

OK, a few of you know I just bought a turbo bike. Well the turbo is an adjustable vane design and has a high/ low boost switch (wouldn't it rock to see this on a Mustang?) On low it's pulling 10 pounds of boost and can run on 93 octane. Flip the toggle switch to high (15 pounds boost) and it requires 100 octane minimum, preferably 104. Well I spent a couple of days trying to find 104 octane gas, you'd swear I was asking for moon rocks the way people reacted!! I finally located a speed shop that sells it for the bargain basement price of........... only 6.05 a gallon!! Yikes! It makes 3 bucks a gallon for 93 octane look like a bargain But man, the sensation of driving it on high boost is a nearly religious experience, "warp speed Scotty!" It's awesome! It's made the itch to put a power adder on my stang even worse
That's about what it was going for last time I saw 104 octane at a gas station in Macomb, Illinois back in February.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:01 PM
V6Vert
1st Gear Member

lol.. i've been meaning to ask about your new bike. sounds pretty sweet, just try not blow off of it at those warp speeds!
I guess that stuff "104 octane plus" that comes in the little can isn't the same huh? I'm assuming you won't be running much on that high dollar stuff though, dang $6 a gallon hurts!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:59 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i run 110 oct in my bike.. i go to the airport to get it

lol to get it i tell them its for my private cesna, and i have enough land for my own landing strip..
Old 05-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

==Man that sounds like such a rush...Worth the cost in my book...to bad I don't know how to ride a bike. Must learn. ==

It is SUCH a rush!! I love bikes! I've ridden all my life and still every time I go out it puts a grin on my face

==That's about what it was going for last time I saw 104 octane at a gas station in Macomb, Illinois back in February.==

You saw 104 at a filling station?? Wow, that would be cool! It's a hassle to have to go to this speed shop and fill up a jug, then take that home and transfer it to the bike. I don't have to do it very often though.

==i've been meaning to ask about your new bike. sounds pretty sweet, just try not blow off of it at those warp speeds! ==

I really love it! I've got a Buell Lightning and it's a lot of fun too, but this Thunderbolt is really something. It's very well behaved, rides very smooth and is pretty quiet at normal speeds. But grab some throttle and it slingshots you into another dimension Boost is addicting!

==I guess that stuff "104 octane plus" that comes in the little can isn't the same huh?==

I don't know the technical reasons, but several racing guys have told me octane booster does not net the same benefits as fuel that was actually formulated with high octane. I'd rather be safe then sorry, I don't want to grenade the motor! So I've followed what was recommended to me.

==I'm assuming you won't be running much on that high dollar stuff though, dang $6 a gallon hurts!==

I don't do any long-distance riding, I mainly cruise the back roads out by where I live. Plus I have three bikes, so it takes me over a month to go through a tank of gas on any of them. So the cost isn't a real big deal since it's spread out over some time
Old 05-12-2006, 10:55 PM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Three bucks for 93? Try $3.75 in Cali.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:32 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: beaustang

Three bucks for 93? Try $3.75 in Cali.

Werd! We'll see $4 real soon.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:27 AM
V6Vert
1st Gear Member

Sounds awsome Tres, I know your having a blast! Do you know much about customs? I've been looking at a couple but haveing a very hard time talking the wife into letting me get one ($20K+). I don't want a full blown chopper, but more along the lines of a lowered and slightly raked soft tail with huge *** back tire lol... The shops in my area mostly use revtec engines but if I do eventually get one I think I'll go the S&S route. You'd like my cousin, hes a Ducati NUT and only knows one way to ride...Wide Open lol! I think I'll stick to the cruzers though.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:47 AM
Tres Wright
4th Gear Member

==Three bucks for 93? Try $3.75 in Cali. ==

WOAH!! They're trying to keep it under 3 bucks in my area (outside of Dallas), I've been seeing 2.97 and 2.99 for 93 octane. It's not much more than 87 octane. I'm still running 87 in the stang, I've held off on doing a tune while I'm waiting for the X-Charger to hit the market. Then the stang will be sipping 93

==Do you know much about customs?==

I doubt I know as much as you do, I see them at the shows and talk to the rep guys about them, but I don't know much more than that. Some of them are extremely well built. They seem to tend towards two basic designs, the raked out chopper style and the more sporty style which I think is what you're describing? I prefer that style too, those mondo 230 tires out back with rake and trail that is closer to what you'd see on production Harleys. The Revtech and S&S motors are both well built units, MUCH more powerful than a stock Harley mill. There's an outfit in Fort Worth that sells some customs that go as low as 15k, and I was really impressed even with the 15k models!

==You'd like my cousin, hes a Ducati NUT and only knows one way to ride...Wide Open lol! I think I'll stick to the cruzers though. ==

LOL! Well I'm not THAT bad OK, maybe I am

Quick Reply: So you think you're paying a lot for gas?