Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Where to buy a new muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 04:07 PM
threebucksleft

Default Where to buy a new muffler?

Magnaflow, kflow, mo-flow, I'm confused! Can anyone suggest a model, make, and where to buy a new single muffler? I want something that gives my 'vert a little more HP and looks shiney!

Thanks!

2006 convertible v6, triple black
17" Pirellis on GT rims
Pioneer audio
Old 05-16-2006, 04:22 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Where to buy a new muffler?

Same question, same car..... which of the available aftermarket mufflers, AXLE BACK SINGLE MUFFLER, provides the best boost to performance? I think they all sound OK, so I rather go with the system that provides the most help wrt backpressure.

Also, others have told me that Cat back is no big gain as the pipe from the converter to the muffler is not viewed as a real restriction.... well, it might not be a critical pressure drop with the stock muffler, but once you put on a much better muffler, does the pipe from the cat back to the axle now become the real limiting loss.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:26 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Guys...you may want to check this post out
https://mustangforums.com/m_1382242/tm.htm

Old 05-16-2006, 04:28 PM
omer333
3rd Gear Member

If you want power, the JBA or MRT muffler is where it's at.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:23 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Ricanpassion.. thanks for the post, interesting reading, but, it's about duals, and both of us said we don't want to go with duals. So, do you have a suggestion for best axle back muffler? Again, with best defined as best increase in power.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:50 PM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

Check around there are sound bites all over to listen or even watch, listen to as many as you can before you make your choice. I went with the JBA just from what they sounded like. Plus they were cheap.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:54 PM
ricanpassion
3rd Gear Member

Sorry...JBA's & MRT's are nice...
ORIGINAL: LX200

Ricanpassion.. thanks for the post, interesting reading, but, it's about duals, and both of us said we don't want to go with duals. So, do you have a suggestion for best axle back muffler? Again, with best defined as best increase in power.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:32 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

For pure peformance the MRT is the way to go... all other mufflers have the same basic design... Now I understand the most people don't believe all the mumbo-jumbo science stuff behind the aero-turbine... but dang it really works! I didn't believe it either until we put one on my car... I even paid to have it dyno'd at a different shop! LOL!

http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Mustang/...ng.htm#muffler
Old 05-16-2006, 07:02 PM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

scrming, reading over your website was aggravating because it is making the choice more difficult. All though I would really like to find the Mo-flows the original poster asked about!!

Anyway, right when I had it in my mind that flowmaster was the way to go, I heard a JBA soundclip. Then I went and read your website about your MRT and how much you love it. It is truly a difficult choice. It's cool though that everyone offers so much help and even clips to listen to. My question though Scrming, for you, are you still keeping your single or will you ever switch to duals?
Old 05-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Britinastang
2nd Gear Member

likewise..ah crap...to go with dual JBA/Magnaflow or single borla/MRT is tough decision.

Single upgrade = Get a better muffler, cheaper, easier to install

Dulas = looks much better, louder

So I guess it is rlly aesthetics over a price/performance combo

Any opinions here?

Quick Reply: Where to buy a new muffler?