Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just Installed MRT Single Axle-back

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 12:16 AM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

Default Just Installed MRT Single Axle-back

I just got it on there. Getting to some of the stokc hanger bolts with the larger stock muffler was a pain but the MRT went on easily after. Sounds great, engine is really opened up after 4k, very pleased. Whoever mentioned the change in sound making it feel slower was definitely correct, but there is a noticable increase in power. Upon getting it on I thought it was a bit close to the bumper but in my excitement I just went to try it out. Well I melted a bit of my bumper, no big deal, but a small paint chip did come off that is visible upon a closer look. Is there somewhere I can buy touchup paint, what are your suggestions to fix that? Thanks.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:18 AM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Just Installed MRT Single Axle-back

So are you lovin it?? I need more details. Sorry about the chip though [&o]
Old 05-17-2006, 12:27 AM
fitbikeco
3rd Gear Member

ya man how do you like the mrt i love the sound
how do you like the look though
i think it looks kinda akward but a 3d carbon v6 rear faica would cover it up nicely
Old 05-17-2006, 12:58 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

go to your ford dealer, and buy touch up paint, its like 15$ a bottle
Old 05-17-2006, 05:19 AM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

Ok well after my first 10 min drive I was impressed, mainly with the sound... then I went out tonight, instead of doing anything I ended up driving around for an hour or so. I love this muffler, it made me realize how terrible the stock muffler really is. The engine is totally opened up after 4k now, definite power increase. 2nd pulls harder from below 2k rpms, everything feels smoother which is the best thing about this muffler imo. Aside from the smoothness the power increased power is definitely felt and I love it. I can't speak to comparisons but this is a great complement to a tune and CAI. I kind of wrote off a new exhaust at first, but after having driven this for only a night I couldn't reccomend it more.

The one problem I do have though is I need to lower the muffler even more. At the moment I have the rear most hanger loose to allow it to sit lower from the bumper, but I can't have that permanently like that. How do I go about lowering the muffler, do I just bend the hanger rods attatched to the actual muffler or is there another way? This is driving me crazy b/c I feel like I can't drive it around too long for fear of my bumper melting again, yet it's so much fun to drive.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:21 AM
Stewart
2nd Gear Member

Forgot to mention appearance. Personally the tip is slightly large for a single muffler, duals I think it would look awesome. I like the v6 rear bumper with duals more than the gt I think, I like seeing the pipe. Nonetheless even in a single set up I think it looks good but I do agree maybe a slightly smaller tip would look better on its' own.

One quick note, about lowering the tip I read that the only way to adjust the hang of the muffler is at the clamp but I tried sliding the muffler down a bit so it would be lower but the hangers when completely screwed in pull it up to the same spot. Any advice?
Old 05-17-2006, 08:28 AM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stewart

Forgot to mention appearance. Personally the tip is slightly large for a single muffler, duals I think it would look awesome. I like the v6 rear bumper with duals more than the gt I think, I like seeing the pipe. Nonetheless even in a single set up I think it looks good but I do agree maybe a slightly smaller tip would look better on its' own.

One quick note, about lowering the tip I read that the only way to adjust the hang of the muffler is at the clamp but I tried sliding the muffler down a bit so it would be lower but the hangers when completely screwed in pull it up to the same spot. Any advice?
Try this...

Loosen up the other clamps in the exhaust system... the ones farther back (towards the cats). Try rotating the axle pipe and/or the mid-pipe. I've seen this work in the past..

Also... on the tip size.. yeah, it does stick out quite a bit... but you have to remember these have to also clear the GT bumer which covers up the tip a bit more...

Glad to hear you like the MRT... I was shocked by the difference in performance it made! Even Lidio was surpised what a difference it made on the dyno! LOL!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:44 AM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stewart

Ok well after my first 10 min drive I was impressed, mainly with the sound... then I went out tonight, instead of doing anything I ended up driving around for an hour or so. I love this muffler, it made me realize how terrible the stock muffler really is. The engine is totally opened up after 4k now, definite power increase. 2nd pulls harder from below 2k rpms, everything feels smoother which is the best thing about this muffler imo. Aside from the smoothness the power increased power is definitely felt and I love it. I can't speak to comparisons but this is a great complement to a tune and CAI. I kind of wrote off a new exhaust at first, but after having driven this for only a night I couldn't reccomend it more.

gonna get one gonna get one [sm=wootwoot.gif]
Old 05-17-2006, 04:14 PM
threebucksleft

May I ask where I can buy an MRT?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:20 PM
scrming
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: threebucksleft

May I ask where I can buy an MRT?
Here ya go: http://www.mrt-direct.com/2005/Pages/mrtaxleback.php