Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Teaching GF how to drive my Stick

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 01:33 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

Default Teaching GF how to drive my Stick

hehe sounds like a perverted topic huh...quick question.

I was teaching my g/f how to drive standard on my V6 Mustang, every stall I wanted to cry for the car..lol j/k Anyways in about 20 min she stalled it about 6 times...is there damage that builds up over time that I should watch for that is a result of stalling it so many times?
Old 05-17-2006, 01:41 AM
ford4v429
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Teaching GF how to drive my Stick

my wife put some miles on my starter the one night she tried driving around mall parking lot for half hour or so...still starts. Biggest thing noticed was first gear in GT will really get bucking at light throttle- she had it stalled/doing the bucking bronco/laying rubber in no particular order every time she took off- car only had about 400 miles on the clock, and on the way home noticed shifting was noticably easier, and tranny much more noisy...guess that bucking bronco thing will wear in some parts pretty fast. Tranny hasnt gotten noticably louder since that night a few thousand miles ago, makes all the 'usual' tr3560 sounds from what Ive read...is a quite loud gearbox.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:42 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Should be no big deal, just be patient; or better yet let someone else teach her in your car.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:46 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

ok thats good, yes it is a noisy gearbox isnt it.... Beaustang, I am a good teacher lol...her problem is starting off. She gets the clutch just to the point, gives it gas and then basically takes her foot right off the clutch super fast making it buck and then stalls lol....She complains that she cant keep the gast steady, the clutch steady and watch her speed and RPM Guage all at the same time.

She will get it with practice....I was just hoping that this wasnt going to mess my transmission up
Old 05-17-2006, 01:46 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

she might be nervous with you in the car.....i got lucky i guess...my wife dropped the hammer,and left a 1st and 2nd gear patch............................................. .................................................. ........

................i never seen my car since.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:51 AM
chipschwab
2nd Gear Member

Just dont be a bitch and dont let her learn, Nuff said, >LOL JK ONLY I WOULD DO THAT<, Or go take it out on a rental car or a test drive. There was one time in my life where the thought came across to me to let my gf learn how to drive the stick, but i get bitchy when her feet hit the doorsills so i put that out of thought.

Now to answer your question damage accumulates if she is grinding the gears. Her stalling the car won't do too much, if anything at all. Now let me put it as my dad put it when my mom stalled. "What do you think everyone is born knowing how to drive stick and never stall it?" Don't lost sleep over it unless she grinds the gears. I have been driving stick since i got my license and i still get my lazy moments where i will stall. The cars can handle it and everyone does it.

Another story this will keep the importance to you of not driving the gears. My neighbors wife was learning how to drive a stick on her brothers car. She grinded 2nd gear all the way till it was non-existant on her first day.

Show your girlfriend that you dont have to force the car into gear. Put your hand on hers and show her the full range of each gear throw and how easy it is to go from lets say 2-3 and 4-5 and not to force it. Also in reverse and 1's the throws sometimes get stuck before they go all the way in and you will grind, as im sure you know this as most mustang guys do., so let her know about that. I taught my mom and this what i did.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:54 AM
chipschwab
2nd Gear Member

My dad helped me with her problem... Tell her to push the gas and let go of the clutch at close to the same speed.. Makes it easier to learn but you change once you know. Also tell her to get a feel of the clutch. Alot of people first driving manual cant tell at all where the clutch engages/disengages.

Also, you might want to tell her to learn to listen to the car and forget watching the rpm's (you watch them and tell her when she is too high or too low)
Old 05-17-2006, 01:55 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks for the tips. She has not Grinded the gears at all, I made it Very clear that the Clutch must be fully pressed to the floor before she changes gears and to take her time. I havent even grided the gears at all yet..that is one thing the car hasnt expirenced.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:00 AM
chipschwab
2nd Gear Member

I did it 2 times, haunts me ever since. Even after i knew how to drive stick just fine. I was getting lazy and i didnt have the clutch all the way in. DOH!
Old 05-17-2006, 02:08 AM
beaustang
5th Gear Member

Yeah, I wasn't implying you are a bad teacher, it's just much more difficult for the student when the teacher is a B/F or husband; they get nervous. Good luck.
ORIGINAL: Erdrickk

ok thats good, yes it is a noisy gearbox isnt it.... Beaustang, I am a good teacher lol...her problem is starting off. She gets the clutch just to the point, gives it gas and then basically takes her foot right off the clutch super fast making it buck and then stalls lol....She complains that she cant keep the gast steady, the clutch steady and watch her speed and RPM Guage all at the same time.

She will get it with practice....I was just hoping that this wasnt going to mess my transmission up

Quick Reply: Teaching GF how to drive my Stick