Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Support American made, buy a Toyota?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 02:28 AM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

Default Support American made, buy a Toyota?

I came accross an article in Wall Street Journal which showed a picture of Our new Mustang and Toyota Siena right next to it. The article talks about how people are purchasing American made cars to support American production, but this is very misleading since our Mustangs are only 60% American/Canadian made and the rest of the parts come from all over (our V6 is made in Germany by the way). Siena, on the other hand, is 90% American. They also list Nissan and Honda making most of their car parts here in USA.
This is just a note and not a personal opinion....... I love my Mustang and it was my decision over all other cars. By the way, one of the articles I came accross mentioned that early 2000's Mustangs are just as reliable as Hondas and such since our cars are made just as well as theirs, or should I say its all the same now.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:39 AM
blazen351
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Support American made, buy a Toyota?

I read this same thing in Off topic the other day...and as I said over there

I'd rather push my Ford than own a Toyota.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:39 AM
chipschwab
2nd Gear Member

Dont even want to respond. Im in shock. I dont know about what.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:49 AM
chipschwab
2nd Gear Member

the only non ford car i have owned is a nissan 350's and my sisters scion (made by toyota)...Nissan and ford will be the only companies i see buying cars from. Nissan and ford both make quality. Toyota and all others are just inferior. I was in shock just hte fact that toyota is now calling themselves more domestic then ford!!!! That put me in shock. Its like a penguine moving to florida saying he belongs here more then the parates!!!!
Old 05-17-2006, 03:19 AM
puppet
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thatstang

I came accross an article in Wall Street Journal which showed a picture of Our new Mustang and Toyota Siena right next to it. The article talks about how people are purchasing American made cars to support American production, but this is very misleading since our Mustangs are only 60% American/Canadian made and the rest of the parts come from all over (our V6 is made in Germany by the way). Siena, on the other hand, is 90% American. They also list Nissan and Honda making most of their car parts here in USA.
This is just a note and not a personal opinion....... I love my Mustang and it was my decision over all other cars. By the way, one of the articles I came accross mentioned that early 2000's Mustangs are just as reliable as Hondas and such since our cars are made just as well as theirs, or should I say its all the same now.
Mine was 65%. (I kept the sticker.)

BTW, is this measured by weight, cost, volume, number or what?
Old 05-17-2006, 04:30 PM
threebucksleft

I'm gonna get in trouble here, I know it. But...this is my first Ford in a long time. I have been a Toyota owner for the last 10 years and I was a little nervous going to a Ford. Don't get me wrong, I love my 2006 Mustang! I just fear that in a few years stuff will be breaking down. I literally never paid one cent to repair my camry, besides the usual wear and tear, and I had 120,000 miles on it. I can tell that little things like the seals, interior materials, electronics, ergonomics, are all a little better in the toyotas. Those cars feel sturdier, better made.
But, I switched because my camry was sooo well made that it was designed for someone who doesn't want to think about their car. They just want to get in, start it up, and get to where they're going as quietly and inconspicuously as possible. It was literally too reliable to the point of boring. Does that make sense? I remember once not being able to find my camry in a parking lot because it looked soooo much like every other car out there. For me, who loves to drive, the Mustang is the complete opposite. It gets alot of compliments, it looks different, I can feel the road, and I love to drive it.
My wife's car is a Sienna (safe and reliable).
Old 05-17-2006, 05:02 PM
JStang78
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: threebucksleft
I remember once not being able to find my camry in a parking lot because it looked soooo much like every other car out there.
LOL! Have you seen the Southwest Airlines commerical, where the guy is throwing a huge rock against the window of a green Camry, and some other guy walks up and says, "what are you doing to my car," and the guy with the rock sees his green Camry parked in the next aisle over? That commerical cracks me up becuase it's SO TRUE!
Old 05-17-2006, 05:15 PM
thatstang
2nd Gear Member

I owned many Toyotas and Hondas since I used to be a mechanic in my younger days and this cars are the most reliable, at least they used to be. Today, american cars are just as reliable. I have a Honda Odyssey and already had failed EGR valve, Trany failed at 59K, doors constantly stick, dashboard light bulbs burn up, brake pads worn every 18K. I am hoping my Mustang will be more reliable than that :-)
My wife drives a 2002 4cyl accord and its the slowest car I've driven. Rated at 150hp/150tq and on dyno it only registered 108hp with automatic trany. She likes the car and I get to annoyed trying to pass other cars in it.......
Old 05-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Jimp
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: blazen351

I read this same thing in Off topic the other day...and as I said over there

I'd rather push my Ford than own a Toyota.
Amen!
Old 05-17-2006, 06:14 PM
Thomas Ford
2nd Gear Member

I'd rather burn my Mustang than drive ANY asian car, truck or crap minivan.
I'm 46 and my family and freinds always drove American. My 1981 F-100 I still drive 3 days a week has 268,000 miles, never rebuilt and doesnt even burn oil. the new F-150's 250's and 350's are the best trucks ever built. (Triton engine) AMEN.
Tom

[IMG]local://upfiles/34417/A014BA7FEDB64D5489B95EF0A4E9F9C0.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Support American made, buy a Toyota?