Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Waxing questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Default Waxing questions

I gave my car it's first coat of wax, after 6 weeks of ownership. The paint feels so much smoother now, and the water just flows right off. I doubt they waxed it at the factory or the dealership. I used "McGuire's Gold Class clearcoat liquid wax". It seemed to come off with relative ease, but I have a few questions:

Most waxes say to wait until the wax hazes. I can't really tell what this means, so I gave it 5 minutes, then wiped it off. Too long?

I had some very light scratches that came right out with this McGuires stuff. Does that mean it contains a scrubbing agent, or is the wax merely filling the scratches?

Can my cloths be washed and reused? I've heard not to use powder laundry detergent because of residues. Any input here?

Ken

Old 05-18-2006, 08:39 PM
KiLLeR_WoMBaT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Waxing questions

I called McGurie's 1-800 number and asked the same question for their NXT Tech Wax. They said leave it on about 20 minutes. It may be different for the Gold Class...just call that number on the can/bottle.

Old 05-18-2006, 08:44 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Im not a pro but I don't think 5 minutes is too long. I basically wait for the wax to drys (or hazes)for a couple of min then I wipe. I waxed mine like twice already in less than a year but you don't want to do it too much. Im not sure how to space it out but I would only do it about twice a year meybe 3 times. I can harm the paint or clear coat if you do it a lot I think.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:12 PM
yur1279
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I kinda got a wax question as well. I got some on the black plastic trim parts of the car/rocker panels as well and it has left white marks. Any way to remove it? I've tried alcohol, and it seemed to remove soem, but I can still tell its there.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:20 PM
ricklmesa@cox.net
3rd Gear Member

Man I hear ya I got some of that **** on my black trim too. Looks horrible in the sun. It was there for a while no matter how hard I scrubbed![:@] I've been using meguiars Natural shine Vinyl & rubber Protectant on all the black parts outside my car and it seems to have gone away after the 3rd time of use.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:26 PM
yur1279
2nd Gear Member

I gotta check that stuff out. I did it the first time I waxed my car in early 05 and I can still see spots on the rockers, grrr....
Old 05-18-2006, 10:57 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

depends on the weather normally 15 minutes, Meguiar's recomends this test.

Meguiar's swipe test
Old 05-19-2006, 12:06 AM
djl0657
2nd Gear Member

Big fan of MEGUIARS products and have never seen silver shine so much as on our 05.

The humidity in the air has a ton to do with how much time to leave wax on the paint. Dry and sunny (car not IN the sun), the wax should set up faster. A humid day requires it to sit longer. It will feel "dry" when you stroke the waxed area with your finger.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:12 AM
Ken Rogers
3rd Gear Member

Big thanks!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:16 AM
Erdrickk
2nd Gear Member

you know what I use? turtle Wax Color Cure - Black. Man does it shine!!! it put it on with a sponge, let it dry for 5 min and polish it with a Detailing towel...its amazing

http://www.autobarn.net/turwaxcolcur.html

Quick Reply: Waxing questions