Notices
V6 S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V6 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

A change of plans...Duals installed...What the heck is going on here??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 06:40 PM
teacherman
3rd Gear Member

Default A change of plans...Duals installed...What the heck is going on here??

Ok, first off the change of plans. Originally I wanted flowmasters. Went there this morning, no flowmasters. He told me he would knock 75 bucks off magnaflows, or I could wait until the flowmasters arrive on Monday and he would still knowck 75 bucks off. So, I say screw it put them bad boys on."

Ok, I go to the shop and the duals are on. He has it raised up hi on the outside lift for everyone to see. There are 5 people standing around my car. Wife drops me off I get out with a smile.

I inspect under the car. TRUE duals!!! I am flippin freakin out!!!! I am nervous as hell because all I read was never never never put true duals on a v friggin 6!!! So I politely say "True duals?" and he says "Trust me on this one. If you do not like anything about it, come back and I will give you whatever you wanted free of charge." So I am nervous as hell and all my excitement is gone. "I'm not sure about these true duals though?" "Trust me."

Ok, so I pay 350 for everything. He puts the lift down. People are coming up to me "is that a v6?? He started it up man it sounds like an 8!" At this point I am literally like who cares, I have true duals, I just messed up my mustang.

Ok I start it up. Now, I do not know how to describe it except if you have ever heard a stock car start up? It is the only thing I can think of. It sounded like a nascar. Which confused me even more because again, I have heard bad things with true duals<-----yes I am repeating, but I was pretty nervous.

Well I pull out and so many people are just staring at me with their tongues hanging out. I gave them all the thumbs up but I was still pretty bummed. But I figured he is true to his word which is why I took it there in the first place. He came reccomended by many people I know, one of you even on these forums. So oh well.

I pull out and come to a stop light. I make a right, and give her some gas. Varoooooom, I mean I fly. I come to the next red light. Now I have a real oppurtunity to ease my nerves. Green light. And I FLY off the line, my head goes back and I am still nervous.

I drive it to my in laws house. Let my father-in-law hear it with the rest of the family. Start her up. "Damn it sounds like a stock car." I mean the thing is loud(In a very good way). So I bring it home. Sit on the porch and look at it. My neighbor comes home, Mr. 04 Cobra himself. I tell him the whole story and he is grinning from cheek to cheek. We discuss my worry, and he reassures me not to worry, that all will be fine. I start it up for him and he says "Almost as loud as mine man, sounds nice!!" He looks underneath "Wow they did a damn clean job for what you paid! You made out!"

Well, I am off to go see Da Vinci Code. I am still nervous a bit because I do not know what happened. As far as sound? I love it, its loud, deep, and throaty. I am still nervous though. I will REALLY be able to test it on the freeway tonight.

Pics to come tonight, sound clip to come a little later.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Britinastang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: A change of plans...Duals installed...What the heck is going on here??

Awesome man, I'm excited for ya!...and $350 is a steal, wow!

...oh yeah, did he cut out the bumper for you too?
Old 05-20-2006, 06:50 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default RE: A change of plans...Duals installed...What the heck is going on here??

so you got duals without the H or x pipe?!
Old 05-20-2006, 07:17 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

i was reading your other thread and people mentioned backpressure... dont worry about thst stuff, your not driving a civic.. our engines are a big enough displacement to run off the headers and you wont lose power
Old 05-20-2006, 08:17 PM
AWalls

That's the same setup I run. True duals, no crossover at all w/flowmasters. The car sounds awesome, like you said, when you start it up heads will turn. I had some drone at highway speed until I put in the new air intake. Now it sounds almost as good as an eight and runs like a bat outta hell.

I never understood all the comments about true duals on the 4.0 sounding like a couple of civics....
Maybe their installer didn't do something right, who knows.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:26 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Jeeeeeesus H smith. $350 for magnaflows and X/H pipe? What a bargain.

I wonder if they just used the H/X pipe and magnaflow tips, because seperatly, my magnaflows were $360. An X/H might set you back another $300-$500, and installation another $50-$100.

Either way, congratulations! Pictures (both the rear and underneath) and sound clips por favor!
Old 05-20-2006, 08:43 PM
SOLDSHORT
5th Gear Member

nice, i'm getting my dual gt take off system installed hopefully this week for 80 bucks total.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:33 PM
sonicblue05
3rd Gear Member

lol
when i got mine (true duals) i got in started it up,i was like WOW that sounds great. I rev it a little.sounds good. Ok i pay i go to drive around. Pull away from the stoplight fast, cool, wait what is that?, roll down the window,sounds good,.....o whatever. driving home i decide to get on it....with windows down. Dam sounds good, good good,good WHOA WTF? basically abover 4000 rpms it soundedlike crap! i was so madand freeaked out (iwas unaware that i didnt have an h pipe) i wassick to my stomach even.

when i got home i looked underneath....NO H PIPE i told them to do that! Well i went back and told them, they saidit would leak if they made one. There was no convincing this guy that air cant go through a good weld....he was an idiot! so i went toanother shop, for $40 he mademean H pipe. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! now its nice and deepall the way through the rpm range.

revit over 4000 and tell me what you think.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:41 PM
afixer
5th Gear Member

dont worry duals are great. true duals are even better.
enjoy

[IMG]local://upfiles/14019/520BA4B654CE4F91A3DC36CD23FEC13E.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-20-2006, 10:13 PM
SPARTAN VI
4th Gear Member

Hey Tom, where'd you get your X-pipe?

Quick Reply: A change of plans...Duals installed...What the heck is going on here??